Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
If you wanted to kick these people out, the time to kick them out was just as they arrived here
Well, we didn't have that option, and there's no reason to wait any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Those are bogus figures.

We've been through this before.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
There is a reason. It's economically beneficial to the United States and its citizens.
No, it's not, and you haven't even TRIED to prove that it is.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not true, they have to commit a felony or a significant misdemeanor crime or 3 misdemeanors to be excluded.
And then they have to ADMIT that hey have such a criminal record, because the government simply takes their word for whatever they say about their criminal record, their age upon entry into the US, etc.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:

A green card is a path to citizenship, so I don't exactly get your distinction. I don't think anyone thinks these people should just become citizens. A green card is a legal pathway to citizenship. Dreamers should definitely have to complete that pathway just like anyone else who gets a green card and they should honestly have to complete an additional pathway just to get the green card, to ensure these kids stay on the right path for a long time and prove they deserve citizenship. But again, kicking them out is stupid.
There are plenty of people who stay here legally with green cards and never become citizens. There is even a permanent green card. Those who have them can stay here permanently. That is the only pathway for these so-called Dreamers I'll go for. No citizenship. Ever.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:07 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
If you add "and never received public subsidies in their adult life" to the "never committed a crime" clause, and end chain migration and visa lotteries, a pathway to citizenship for the remainder may look more palatable to those who are being logical.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:07 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Those are bogus figures.

We've been through this before.
Please specifically show how.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-28-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 12:08 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Since we have already invested so much in them, let them stay. They can't "go back and apply" because they have already broken the law and wouldn't be allowed to apply.

Give them a chance to apply for a green card/permanent resident from here and give them a discount on the application prices, which are extremely expensive. Maybe half price. I'm saying a discount because most LEGAL immigrants don't apply until they have the money saved up.

Make them have a five year sponsor just like LEGAL immigrants are required to do. That means no welfare type benefits for five years. I would make an exception for anyone who is truly disabled--they could get disability.

What to do about their parents though? They created this mess. But I can see placing them last when you are deporting people. Deport the more recent arrivals and stop any new illegals. Take a look at how strict the UK has become--they saw what it was like to be overrun, that their country just couldn't afford so many new people, and they put a stop to it back in 2004 and then again with BREXIT. No other country just lets people come in for free and stay for a lifetime.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t care if they give the parents green cards too, as long as they don’t get to bring their entire family here.
Nope. Their parents got them in this situation. Us too, for that matter.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Dreamers are by definition, individuals who have never committed a crime and have grown up in America and been educated in American schools.

While I don't necessarily agree with most conservative immigration policies, I can at least understand the point of view. But the fight over the dreamers doesn't make a bit of sense, and I think that's the reason over 30 Republican Congressmen disagree with the larger stance of their party and support a pathway to citizenship.

I get not wanting to pay for people who came her illegally, who have manipulated the system, etc. But in the case of the dreamers, they came here as innocent children and at this point we've already paid to educate them. They've all either on their way or already are, educated adults who have never committed crime since arriving in the USA. In other words, they are worth money to our economy. Whether we wanted to or not, we've invested in these individuals and they're all set up to be a positive force on the economy.

If you wanted to kick these people out, the time to kick them out was just as they arrived here. Not after we already invested money into their educations. Why should we educate these people, set them up for a successful life and then boot them out for another country to reap the benefits of our investment?

Forget compassion. Just think of the simple dollars and cents. You don't buy a property, invest in it, improve it, and then just give it away for free. Why should you do this with people?

So if it makes economic sense, it's the compassionate thing to do and a bunch of republicans already support a pathway to citizenship, why do so many republicans and Trump still oppose a pathway to citizenship for dreamers?

The only reasons I can think of is that they're racist or not terribly bright.. or both.
President Trump is aware of the Harvard Poll that just came out - all polls have shown for years that the Majority of Americans want this "dreamer" issue solved - these "dreamers" were brought here as children, raised and educated here - some sort of "round up of over a Million of them & shipping them back to Mexico" is NEVER going to be an answer. The same polls want Borders Secure and Chain Migration stopped, unvetted immigrants stopped. Hardliners on the Right will just have to suck it up, Hardliners on the Left (including all of the Democrats in Leadership) will have to show their real colors ...... which are ..... They don't care about "dreamers" at all, they care only about a Political Issue that they believe will bring them VOTES and POWER."

President Trump said in his big round table meeting that he would "take the heat" - knowing at that time that there is ONLY one answer to this "dreamer issue" that has been on the table for almost 2 decades.
"Amnesty" means you don't get arrested when you can prove you came as a child, were educated here and have no criminal record now or until you finally can apply for citizenship in 10-12 years after you meet the criteria. It's a FAIR deal for everyone ...... OR the Leftist Democrats can just VOTE to have them rounded up and deported after Obama so Kindly put them into a Federal Database. Trump included the estimated number that were smart enough to NOT sign on to Obama's illegal plan and Database.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...62746060206080
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies