Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
LOL...ok.

Deporting all Dreamers will never fly politically. It just won't. Notice that no plan is discussing that?

You guys need to move on from this unrealistic fantasy.
Not viable politically because the Americans have been fooled by the lying media.

How is that OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 06:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not viable politically because the Americans have been fooled by the lying media.

How is that OK?
Yeah really. Not politically viable to enforce our long standing immigration laws . What other laws are not politically viable? Just the ones liberals don't like?

Old 01-28-2018, 06:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,001 times
A reasonable solution is to jail for 5 years without parole any employer who will be caught with illegals.

For me is very simple. I'm a legal immigrant. I really cannot understand why I needed to wait in line, to gather documents, to pay fees, and somebody else is just jumping the fence, and here we go, his kids will get citizenship.

The kids did not commit any crime and therefore they should stay? It's like to leave the robbed money at the hands of the son of an arrested rober.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:

How is that OK?
We can debate the reasons for that all day - it's not going to change the fact that that move would be very unpopular politically.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
We can debate the reasons for that all day - it's not going to change the fact that that move would be very unpopular politically.
Once again, how is that acceptable to any law abiding citizens? I assume you are a law abiding American citizen.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,362 times
Default Don't let the facts get in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Dreamers are by definition, individuals who have never committed a crime and have grown up in America and been educated in American schools.

While I don't necessarily agree with most conservative immigration policies, I can at least understand the point of view. But the fight over the dreamers doesn't make a bit of sense, and I think that's the reason over 30 Republican Congressmen disagree with the larger stance of their party and support a pathway to citizenship.

I get not wanting to pay for people who came her illegally, who have manipulated the system, etc. But in the case of the dreamers, they came here as innocent children and at this point we've already paid to educate them. They've all either on their way or already are, educated adults who have never committed crime since arriving in the USA. In other words, they are worth money to our economy. Whether we wanted to or not, we've invested in these individuals and they're all set up to be a positive force on the economy.

If you wanted to kick these people out, the time to kick them out was just as they arrived here. Not after we already invested money into their educations. Why should we educate these people, set them up for a successful life and then boot them out for another country to reap the benefits of our investment?

Forget compassion. Just think of the simple dollars and cents. You don't buy a property, invest in it, improve it, and then just give it away for free. Why should you do this with people?

So if it makes economic sense, it's the compassionate thing to do and a bunch of republicans already support a pathway to citizenship, why do so many republicans and Trump still oppose a pathway to citizenship for dreamers?

The only reasons I can think of is that they're racist or not terribly bright.. or both.
OK. I'll bite. They are not kids but young adults who haven't taken advantage of the American Dream. Meaning about 20% are high school drop-outs, and most are on welfare. College graduates? Not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
A Pathway to Citizenship for Dreamers Should be Supported by Logical Conservatives-not-all-dreamers.jpg  

Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Once again, how is that acceptable to any law abiding citizens? I assume you are a law abiding American citizen.
Reality (in which real-world governing occurs) is full of a lot of gray.

Is it fair to immigrants who entered through traditional ways? No, not really. I have extended family that are legal immigrants, and it has been hard work for them. I understand this frustration.

But we need to look at the other side of the reality here, too. Many Dreamers are here through no fault of their own. They have been educated here (and as such, we have invested in them), they grew up here (most have no memory or connection to their origin countries), are employed here, and many are connected to this country in many ways. Deporting them to a foreign country would be fairly cruel.

Real life is often not black-and-white. Simple, hard-line solutions rarely work for that very reason.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Reality (in which real-world governing occurs) is full of a lot of gray.

Is it fair to immigrants who entered through traditional ways? No, not really. I have extended family that are legal immigrants, and it has been hard work for them. I understand this frustration.

But we need to look at the other side of the reality here, too. Many Dreamers are here through no fault of their own. They have been educated here (and as such, we have invested in them), they grew up here (most have no memory or connection to their origin countries), are employed here, and many are connected to this country in many ways. Deporting them to a foreign country would be fairly cruel.

Real life is often not black-and-white. Simple, hard-line solutions rarely work for that very reason.
Rewarding law breakers would be cruel to the Americans.

Sending them back to their home country is not cruel.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Rewarding law breakers would be cruel to the Americans.

Sending them back to their home country is not cruel.
Realistically, what should Dreamers do? They found themselves in America through no fault of their own. They grew up here, went to school here...their life is here. It would be cruel to send them packing at this point in their life.

Be honest: what would you do if you were one of these people? You would just march yourself back to you "home" country? I find that hard to believe.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:57 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Agree it is the best and fairest compromise . In exchange for not deporting the illegals and as a separate issue, I still want the wall since even legalization will draw more illegal immigration. And a reduction to legal immigration that leads to citizenship.
I agree the wall is essential. Also much tougher sanctions on businesses that hire illegals. I think business seizures for repeat offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies