Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 PM

30,139 posts, read 11,770,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
A reasonable solution is to make their residency status legal, assuming they meet the requirements of the DACA program. Once legal, they can pursue whatever citizenship paths that any other legal resident can, likely many years or decades down the road.
Your solution is the problem and basically wanting it all your way.

I disagree with the path to citizenship. A green card is a huge gift to them. They can do everything a citizen can do except vote and get things like welfare. I know several DACA recipients. I know from talking to them they just want to stay legally.

I have read some posts saying they deserve citizenship because they have stayed out of trouble. I have stayed out of trouble my whole life. Is the government going to give me a prize for that? I don't think so.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 01-28-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I agree the wall is essential. Also much tougher sanctions on businesses that hire illegals. I think business seizures for repeat offenders.
I agree. But enforcement is never done especially when a Democrat is in offices. That's why I want a real border wall, and black and white things like no citizenship for illegals. Democrats don't want any integrity in our elections. They don't want to make sure there aren't illegals on the voter rolls or to verify the ID or citizenship status of voters. Throw in birthright citizenship and just conservatives allowing any illegals to stay let alone be legalized short of citizenship is giving huge compromises.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Your solution is the problem and basically wanting it all your way.

I disagree with the path to citizenship. A green card is a huge gift to them. They can do everything a citizen can do except vote and get things like welfare. I know several DACA recipients. I know from talking to them they just want to stay legally.
A green card is the amnesty.

You don’t understand that all our legal immigrants want is green card.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-28-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Realistically, what should Dreamers do? They found themselves in America through no fault of their own. They grew up here, went to school here...their life is here. It would be cruel to send them packing at this point in their life.

Be honest: what would you do if you were one of these people? You would just march yourself back to you "home" country? I find that hard to believe.
Please stop giving me excuses.

They can do all the legal immigrants here do:

1. Go to school, get a job on H1B and apply for green card via H1B sponsorship.
2. Marry a US citizen.
3. Go home.

Personally, I’d support the idea that if the nightmarers can be accepted by a college, they can get F1 visa without having to go back home.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Guess what? I got no dreamer's asking me to support them. They are going to work and pay taxes so they can pay my medicare. Those red states are falling down with their meth and painkiller addictions.
I'll have to let my solid blue state know they don't have a drug problem ... they must be imagining it. Then they can quit making such a stink about it already.

Perhaps you could fund some of their college educations .... right now in this state of imagined drug problems we're supporting them with free college. My guess is we could find you some that are collecting food stamps, Medicaid and other varied tax-payer funded programs (which legal immigrants frequently don't get, just as an aside.)

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
I think giving them green cards is a good compromise from the far right that wants to deport them and the far left that wants to make the citizens.

I don't see any reason to make them citizens. I know people who moved here years ago and have a green card and have no interests in being a citizen. Nothing really changes except being able to vote and get more public assistance. You can work, go to school, collect social security and do whatever you want as a green card holder. And as a green card holder they cannot sponsor others to move here. Which is an issue to some people. And if they get into trouble and go to prison you can deport a green card holder, not usually a citizen.

There is no positive economic sense to granting DACA recipients citizenship. None.

And I would want a wall, end to all chain migration, and the RAISE Act to go even as far as he above.

I'd be ok with citizenship after 25 more years here w/o a single misdemeanor or dollar of tax unpaid for them.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

And I would want a wall, end to all chain migration, and the RAISE Act to go even as far as he above.

I'd be ok with citizenship after 25 more years here w/o a single misdemeanor or dollar of tax unpaid for them.
They should never be given US citizenship as they already have their own.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

What you'd want is the The Securing America's Future Act (SAFA) aka as the Goodlatte, et al bill or H.R. 4760. SAFA for DACA otherwise it's caca .

https://amgreatness.com/2018/01/19/t...es-paying-off/
Quote:
The bill would give DACA recipients three-year renewable work visas but would bar them from future citizenship. In exchange, the bill would implement President Trump’s three major goals for immigration reform: $30 billion for The Wall, elimination of chain migration (which would cut legal immigration by some 260,000 a year), and ending the visa lottery system.
In addition, SAFA would make the national E-Verify system mandatory for employers.

Last edited by mtl1; 01-28-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Sending them away is bad for business... it hurts our economy.
This is the only part of your entire argument that matters.

The Dreamers aren't going anywhere. Nothing else needs to be said.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This is the only part of your entire argument that matters.

The Dreamers aren't going anywhere. Nothing else needs to be said.
until 3-5-2018 the game changing day.

Hence who is protesting..lefties and Dreamers.

Conservs just go to work each day, live their lives, and watch the left and Dreamers whining about the latter's fate.

That is why this happened:

Immigrant activists protest at Schumer's home, chanting 'If Chuck won't let us dream, we won't let him sleep' | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies