Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Back to the original poster. Don't stare at a woman you work with, either at work or outside of work. Develop impulse control and exercise it to turn your gaze away no matter how sexy a woman you work with is. You can stare at any other woman you want.

Don't approach any woman for a date at work. It's best not to date coworkers at all, but if you absolutely must, wait till you see her outside of work to ask her out. If she says no, respect that and never bring it up again. And don't stare at her.

If she says yes, never arrange for a date while either of you are at work. Never talk about your personal relationship while you are at work. Never flirt at work. When you're dating someone you work with, all of that stuff needs to be reserved for when you're both off the clock.

Never date a woman you have authority over at work. Don't even think about it. And definitely don't stare.

Honestly, I think you're pretty safe outside of work and women you work with.

Yes, that is good advice for the workplace to play it safe.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is asking a women to go out for a date considered abusive?
I suppose it depends on how you ask. And how often.

I had no idea so many men do not know what abusive behavior is.

Last edited by Gusano; 02-01-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
All I can say is wow... just wow. I'd expect men to discredit the movement but women as well?

You gals really are your own worst enemies. Probably vote Republican every time like the fools you are.

Dunno, I think the stats are 2/3 of the women vote Dem.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I believe most of the claims are true, that is I don't think things are being made up from whole cloth, but it seems the litmus for what constitutes harrassment has been lowered.

Basically, being sleazy, or even a bit inappropriate has been raised to just below, or even equal to, penetrative rape.

Case in point, the allegations against Garrison Keilor. As I understand it he claims he was comforting a distraught woman who was wearing a midriff baring top and he placed his hand on her bare back.

Now, maybe he genuinely wanted to comfort he in a time-honored way through gentle human touch on a non sexual part of the human body, the back, or maybe he saw it as an opportunity to cop a feel of her spine. Either way, his honor has been called into question and some people are saying his action is a form of sexual assault, a term usually reserved for groping of breast or genitals all the way up to sexual penetration.

I am sensitive to the sanctity of people's bodies, but the line is moving into an area where it seems that any physical contact between two people may be seen as a potential crime.
I concur.

Normal hetero male behavior that was no big deal previously is almost equated with rape nowadays.

Now let me tell you how it is at the Mardi Gras for those that have not been to it. Some of the ladies go round topless. The guys will ask them if they can have a little suckle of their breast. The gals say yes or they say no, but they don't scream sex harassment. Some guys will ask ladies with their top on the same thing, again it is yes or no and they don't make a big deal about it. Maybe this will change with the new climate. Maybe the gals will want freedom to go topless and not be hassled about it, but when hetero men are involved it will go against nature. For the hetero male is always on the prowl for opportunities of sex. Blame nature...don't blame the men!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you have the stance that VP Pence has, basically a man should never associate with any women he works with.

He shouldn't even hold the door for the woman if she's right behind him, she might take it as assuming woman are inferior. No, let it slam on her!

If there's a meeting after work, the man can't invite any women to it because then he'll be perceived as asking her out.

So, she might get passed up for a promotion because she never gets to "hang out" with the guys and build the rapport you need to build to advance.

See the problems that these kinds of attitudes bring? If a guy is fearful 24x7 that women are going to accuse for the slightest thing, it'll end up hurting women in the long run. Most women don't realize that.

Yes, time will tell, but your scenario is possible.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just stating the facts. If this happened to me it wouldn't take 15 -20 - 25 years for me to say something.

I believe some of these stories are definitely true - the Olympics DR , for example.

People make mistakes - some are really dumb mistakes, especially when they're younger - raise your hand if you think you have never done so.

I'm thinking of Al Franken - his career is ruined due to something stupid he did a long time ago. He seems like a decent guy and I want to slap that woman. If it takes over a decade to say something you need to just shut up. People start to froth at the mouth when this stuff starts - "Get him -get him" and the more the merrier.

Franken's problem was he was a puss. He should have stuck firm. What he did was nothing. Jesus, if I was in his shoes they could have made a photo book on me...and so what? If I didn't do anything illegal I'm not going anywhere. Did I say Franken was a puss...look at what they replaced him with. Proves my point.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
If you read the #metoo twitter entries you'll see that some of them talk about employees that ask them out or say "you look nice today". The theme I found is that if the guy is cute the women all get together and joke about getting down and dirty with the guy. If they find the guy ugly, then it's considered gross and sexual harassment.

Also, if it's a woman soliciting a guy or grabbing his parts, it's always deemed okay. I suppose the next phase of this #metoo movement will be all the women accused of sexual harassment, which I suspect are tons of teachers and principals as those are the times boys are helpless and women are in authority.

See this experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uccExOPMrI

There's definitely a double standard in play now.
Yes, we had a discussion of this topic under a slightly different heading years ago. It was concluded that women like attention...but only if they approve of it. It was also concluded that if women advertise they make get a customer.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I can't imagine how it would be necessary in sports medicine to touch a patient's privates for any reason. If a pelvic exam was needed the patient should have been referred to an ob/gyn for that.

I also think young females (teenagers) are better off having a female doctor. Just my opinion. Although women can be abusers, too, I think it would be less likely. If the US gymnastics had hired a woman doctor many years ago, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation now.

I concur. The sex abusing gym doctor may have had this ultimate goal as an impetus for being a MD from the start.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:12 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I believe them. Various sex crimes are so common that very few women haven't encountered any at all. Three siblings in my family...all of us were targeted one way or another.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I suppose it depends on how you ask. And how often.

I had no idea so many men do not know what abusive behavior is.
I was being facetious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.