Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
A uterus isn't sexual...a vagina is...a p*ssy is...a uterus is for reproduction. It didn't say she voted Republican or Democratic...just VOTE. Sorry, your complaint fails on two counts - whether you're a woman or not.

Let's take the pics of your family out of your cube - not work related and definitely SEXUAL!

Then you will be OK with the sign that says: "I have a prostate and I vote?". The point is that this poster implies segregation based on gender which is against most corporate rules...

Old 02-02-2018, 02:35 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I think men are somewhat nervous because they don't realize that these claims are not hyperbole and that the incidents aren't isolated. Hence the probing about whether I was in a bad place conducive to this... even if I was, it is still unacceptable. This is because we women, have been routinely ignored for legitimate grievances that it remains underground and relagated to the women's whisper channel. Now women are no longer whispering and saying it out loud and some men, just have trouble wrapping their heads around how common place this is. IT is THEY who need to grow up.
That is so true. Also, when I was young, we of course had no internet and were much more isolated. I think you are right in that many men don’t appreciate how ubiquitous this behavior is. I have a difficult time feeling too sorry for their “nervousness” now. Women have always had to be fearful and nervous about where they went, when they, went, with whom they went and what they did. For women, letting down one’s guard for a minute can literally mean life and death, even in one’s own home.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:41 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Why is it only appropriate to call people out only AFTER they sexually assault you? .
Umm ... What?

Nevermind, I know what you are saying but that was too good to pass up. Anyway; if someone is acting inappropriately but not violently you SHOULD still call them out. Just not to everybody else. Novel idea here: Tell them.

You call them out right then. To their face. You leave. You don't go back. I don't care if your job depends on it ... it's a job. You know what message it sends if they threaten your job & it works? Men are really simple; it's like obedience school for puppies ...(sorry, guys) Positive reinforcement works.

When it works on you & the next 19 women, you are saying that women can't handle themselves in the workplace.

That's how you get 20 women saying "MeToo"! And that's what some of us are afraid of.

When you leave & "next" on to a new job? You remind them who has the real power in the equation. So what if they are the boss & have money? They're also a slave to their penis. Not impressive.

You'd have to be a real glutton for punishment as a guy to compromise yourself in this way over & over. And it probably wouldn't take 20 times to get the message.

Quote:
Women aren't allowed to have agency over their own bodies. Women are supposed to just suck it up. Women are supposed to be nice. I ask you why? Why should we have to put up with that? The other thing, this stuff begins for most women at the cusp of puberty. I started being harassed by men when I was 10 years old. My adult male friends always wonder why I ignore men on the street so effectively, even when its not disrespectful. It's called YEARS OF PRACTICE.
Men who harass (or worse) 10-year-old girls are a whole different topic.

I was pursued by my male 6th-grade teacher when I was 10. I have zero desire to call him out over social media or anywhere else.

If anything I'm most mad for him giving me a mental block in math. I was a straight-A student & I couldn't figure out why I couldn't figure out my Algebra (turns out, he was intentionally confusing me so he could call my mom & suggest after school tutoring). That actually did impact my life but for him to be so pathetic ... as a teacher ... to do that to a child?

Meh; that's a shame. He must have had some big, big problems. He's surely retired by now & what would "metoo-ing" do for me?

I have nothing to gain because I didn't lose a thing. He wasn't strong enough to take anything real away from me & at the end of the day: I'm me. (and I got straight A's in math in college)

And he's a creep who liked little girls. I like where I landed & I wouldn't cheapen it & validate him by dredging it up.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That is the very definition of prejudice. You are pre-judging the accused.

God help a wrongly accused defendant if you are in the jury.
No, her thinking that the majority of claims are true doesn’t mean that she thinks any SPECIFIC case must be true. Based on my own experiences as a woman , I think most of the claims are true as well. But if I were on a jury, I would be very conscientious about whether or not I believed the claim was true in that particular instance—because “most” does not mean “all”, and because our legal system is based on innocent until proven guilty with regard to the law.

Even defense attorneys don’t have to believe in their clients’ innocence in order to do their jobs effectively.

Added: if anything, I think the number of “claims” on #metoo are under-reported. There are many women, including myself, who have not added ourselves to that.

Last edited by Gusano; 02-02-2018 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
For women, letting down one’s guard for a minute can literally mean life and death, even in one’s own home.
That's a bit much.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
That is so true. Also, when I was young, we of course had no internet and were much more isolated. I think you are right in that many men don’t appreciate how ubiquitous this behavior is. I have a difficult time feeling too sorry for their “nervousness” now. Women have always had to be fearful and nervous about where they went, when they, went, with whom they went and what they did. For women, letting down one’s guard for a minute can literally mean life and death, even in one’s own home.
THis is true. Every decision we make from the age of 10 is formed by being careful. Where to work, where to walk, where to party, who to party with. The very essence of our entire personalities are formed with these cautionary ideas in our head. I realize for some it may be hard to wrap their heads around, but for women, we live this every day.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:17 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Umm ... What?

Nevermind, I know what you are saying but that was too good to pass up. Anyway; if someone is acting inappropriately but not violently you SHOULD still call them out. Just not to everybody else. Novel idea here: Tell them.
When did I suggest otherwise?

Quote:
You call them out right then. To their face. You leave. You don't go back. I don't care if your job depends on it ... it's a job. You know what message it sends if they threaten your job & it works? Men are really simple; it's like obedience school for puppies ...(sorry, guys) Positive reinforcement works.
Yeah, a woman who needs to feed her children is going to risk putting food on her the table to do the right thing. Her kids go hungry, but by darn, she's right.

Quote:
When it works on you & the next 19 women, you are saying that women can't handle themselves in the workplace.
Women have not been believed when they called out things for a very long time. We have been trained to stay quiet because when we don't, instead of the behavior being questioned, the woman is **** shamed, even if she did nothing wrong.

Quote:
Men who harass (or worse) 10-year-old girls are a whole different topic.
Not for us. Pretty much every woman you know has been harassed when they have barely reached puberty or even before.

Quote:
I was pursued by my male 6th-grade teacher when I was 10. I have zero desire to call him out over social media or anywhere else.
Why does it have to be over social media. I had a teacher **** off in front of me. I have zero desire to call him out on it because it happened a very long time ago. I wouldn't even know where to find him. But I will empower every girl I meet to call them out in the contemporaneously. My story, and our stories will help empower them to do it. Don't you think?

Quote:
If anything I'm most mad for him giving me a mental block in math. I was a straight-A student & I couldn't figure out why I couldn't figure out my Algebra (turns out, he was intentionally confusing me so he could call my mom & suggest after school tutoring). That actually did impact my life but for him to be so pathetic ... as a teacher ... to do that to a child?
A sick individual.

Quote:
I have nothing to gain because I didn't lose a thing. He wasn't strong enough to take anything real away from me & at the end of the day: I'm me. (and I got straight A's in math in college)
Are you absolutely sure about that? Did it effect how you view men, how you date men? For many women, the accumulation of these experiences, not a single one, but the sum total, did effect them in their many relationships with men.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
If she'd said "For MANY women " " " " She'd be right. Girls get inapropriately touched or molested by their 'funny uncle' or her dad's best friend, or their mom's boyfriend, or mom's new husband often enough.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstand. Why is the standard so low that we aren't able to call out unacceptable behavior that is the precursor to rape scenarios. Why is it only appropriate to call people out only AFTER they sexually assault you? The spectrum of behaviors is groping, inappropriate conversation (like telling a woman repeatedly what you want to do with them in the work context.) There are a whole spectrum of behaviors that sends a message, a few of them.
The problem is with classifying inappropriate conversation, for example, as a "precursor to rape". Are you suggesting that someone who says "nice azz" is going to rape you?

Quote:
Women aren't allowed to have agency over their own bodies.
That's just not true. We've had a say for quite some time. Not only can women say "no", they can say it loud and emphatically, if need be, and walk away. And many do. Those who don't need to work on that. The #metoo movement was necessary. But we can't be strong, independent and in control and be perpetual victims at the same time. We also won't continue to get away with leaving it to men to make judgement calls when we're not saying "no" while peddling the stereotype that they're dumb and slaves to their junk.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
That's a bit much.
Really? You must not read the news much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies