Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

To some women, if her male boss yells at her because she didn't meet a work deadline, then that's considered harassment and a hostile work environment.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Next thing what might happen is if I stare or look at a sexy lady I will be called on for sexual Harrasment. Along with trying to talk with her in general to be in a relationship with her

But what if it was the other way around? Would there be crying out for sexual Harrasment towards a Male?
Nothing wrong with "trying," but if she rebuffs your advances and you don't back off when she tells you to, that is when you've crossed the line into harassment.

That goes for both sexes, incidentally.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Although it's heinous behavior, the kind of sexual harassment that involves something like asking someone on a date too many times, doesn't belong in the "true crime" category. If it someone exposing themselves to someone in public, that's a crime.
It's may not be "sexual" harassment, but it is harassment. If someone's not interested, they aren't interested. Asking someone out on a date for the dozenth time isn't going to convince them to say yes if the first time you asked them out didn't do so.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Unless you mean in the judge's "speech" during the final sentencing (I can understand her frustration but a judge needs to not let it out as it risks a mistrial), if anything I think the Olympic Dr. was one of the more "legitimate" cases. I agree with the person who said 90% of these is likely true, but the bar has been greatly lowered and Garrison Keiler was a good example of that as someone else said.
Keep in mind that that poster's comments got the thread about that case removed from the POC forum. Not just closed, but deleted, because PP was claiming those girls consented to what was happening to them. They thought they were consenting to legitimate medical treatment, not to some guy diddling them for his own pleasure.

Also, FYI, what took place last week was not a trial. It was a sentencing hearing, because Nassar had already pleaded guilty to the charges.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

It means you can't grope women. It means you can't comment on their private parts. It means you can't treat them like a cut of beef in the supermarket. Saying, "you have beautiful eyes" is a far cry from "I'd like a piece of that". Grow up. Its time for men to grow up, period. Extended adolescence has been afforded men in the Western world for far too long. If you don't get it, ask yourself, would I treat my mother or sister like this? What is so hard about that? Nothing.
BOOM!!!! And the mic falls to the floor!!

+infinity

Old 01-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
What is absurd about it? "I need to message your pelvis from the inside." No problem Doc, little girls love that!
Pelvic floor massage is a legitimate treatment for ailments like coccydynia. The problem was when he was using it for physical issues that didn't call for it.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Pelvic floor massage is a legitimate treatment for ailments like coccydynia. The problem was when he was using it for physical issues that didn't call for it.
I can't imagine how it would be necessary in sports medicine to touch a patient's privates for any reason. If a pelvic exam was needed the patient should have been referred to an ob/gyn for that.

I also think young females (teenagers) are better off having a female doctor. Just my opinion. Although women can be abusers, too, I think it would be less likely. If the US gymnastics had hired a woman doctor many years ago, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation now.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's may not be "sexual" harassment, but it is harassment. If someone's not interested, they aren't interested. Asking someone out on a date for the dozenth time isn't going to convince them to say yes if the first time you asked them out didn't do so.
Yes. And I've been asked out a dozen times by the same person. And in my opinion, a person doing that in the workplace should be fired. But he can't really be charged with a crime, unless it escalates to physical harassment, stalking, etc.

My husband worked with a young man who would get angry when young, attractive women in the workplace didn't pay attention to him. He also obtained their personal phone numbers somehow and would call them after work. This was when he'd only been working there for a few weeks as an intern. The company knew he was trouble and they got rid of him.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:14 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Same here. I was sexually harassed in the workplace, but I would never claim that is the same thing as being a victim or rape or molestation. It's unfair and it's wrong, but it's not rape.
Right - so you report what happened...you don't say something is what it wasn't...duh. You shouldn't HAVE to be raped for it to be okay to report.

You shouldn't have to be all proud that you didn't report something when maybe it should have - and you do say it was harassment, right? Why do you think they'd be charged with a crime if what you report is NOT a crime?

Old 01-30-2018, 03:07 PM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've been sexually harassed, (and assaulted, as a child). I've been harassed so many times, intimidated, touched innapropriately, etc., that I don't think a lot of people (I'll say mostly men) have any idea.

I don't have figures, but I'd guess MOST women have had some form or another of harassment. It's so ubiquitous. As a matter of fact, I think that's why SO MANY OF THESE STORIES ARE COMING OUT. It's SO ubiquitous.
Yup. Almost every female that I know has been the victim of sexual harassment and/or assault. That includes myself.

And sorry to disappoint the skeptics, what I'm talking about had absolutely nothing to do with being "asked on a date" or "flirted with." I'm talking everything from being groped/grabbed/rubbed up against to actual rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies