Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A pathway to citizenship for all illegals including DACA
The pathway already exists for all illegals including DACA 49 63.64%
No pathway exists. 23 29.87%
I don’t know. 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where is the option in the Poll for FOLLOW IMMIGRATION LAW?
It's the first one on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I used to believe that was true until I met a guy at work that had married a woman from Russia. They still had to go through a lot of red tape to get her citizenship. In no way is citizenship automatic when getting married. I think they can get their green cards faster though.
Even legal immigrants must wait seven years before applying for citizenship. My wife is a naturalized citizen.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Marriage or engagement to a US citizen is one of the criteria for legal immigration. But if someone is already here illegally, they are not eligible to "go back and come in the right way" because they already have a criminal record. That would disqualify them for immigration.

Sometimes I have heard of getting an immigration lawyer to "adjust status." That's if they came illegally, married a US citizen, and wish to become a legal permanent resident/green card holder with a path to citizenship.

In the case of DACA, it's a special case because they were brought as kids and didn't know it was illegal or had no control over it so some means of making them legal needs to be established.
This is not possible for DACA people. DACA only provides a temporary immigration status that allows them to work and and stay inside the country and at this point it can not be renewed nor can the status be adjusted.

The only way that a DACA person can become a permanent resident is if one of their parents are a US citizen. However, even that is problematic because the US citizen parent would have to petition for their child to be admitted into the US while the child is outside of the US.

A lawyer well versed in immigration law may be able to work around this, but there are very few competent immigration lawyers because there's no money to be made on immigrants.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Even legal immigrants must wait seven years before applying for citizenship. My wife is a naturalized citizen.
The wait to apply for citizenship is 3 years if your married - 5 years if your not married to a US citizen.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
This is not possible for DACA people. DACA only provides a temporary immigration status that allows them to work and and stay inside the country and at this point it can not be renewed nor can the status be adjusted.

The only way that a DACA person can become a permanent resident is if one of their parents are a US citizen. However, even that is problematic because the US citizen parent would have to petition for their child to be admitted into the US while the child is outside of the US.

A lawyer well versed in immigration law may be able to work around this, but there are very few competent immigration lawyers because there's no money to be made on immigrants.
The point is instead of illegals coming here and staying illegally and the DACA illegals signing up for Obama's unconstitutional DACA, the illegals could've used the same pathway as all the other immigrants.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:20 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I used to believe that was true until I met a guy at work that had married a woman from Russia. They still had to go through a lot of red tape to get her citizenship. In no way is citizenship automatic when getting married. I think they can get their green cards faster though.
No, it is not automatic. You have to apply for green card like everyone else, and prove you are in living in an actual marriage, not only to get citizenship.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:22 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Perhaps but very tricky. If an illegal has been in the US for more than s year illegally he or she is banned for ten years from the US. There is a hardship waiver but it is not a guarantee. And under Trump even applying for it may get you deported. And once deported you will have to beat the 10 year ban. So it is very expensive and may well end up getting you deported.
Well, you can always go back to Mexico and marry there, and then come to US as a spouse of a US citizen.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, you can always go back to Mexico and marry there, and then come to US as a spouse of a US citizen.
Nope. You get caught by the 10 year ban. You can petition to remove it but the requirement is an extreme hardship. Separation alone will not do it.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The point is instead of illegals coming here and staying illegally and the DACA illegals signing up for Obama's unconstitutional DACA, the illegals could've used the same pathway as all the other immigrants.
There's no pathway for them. If we are specially talking about Mexicans they can cross the land border with the US at any time and travel freely within 20 miles of the border. This is basically a tourist visa, although i don't think passports are stamped at land borders.

To obtain an official visa they would have to apply at the US embassy in Mexico and attend an interview. Assuming they pass and are given the visa its valid for 10 years and they can stay for a max of 6 months at a time. This is only a tourist visa and they can not apply for a green card, citizenship, or work with this type of visa.

Only rich Mexicans get these 10 year visas and they can be renewed.

No poor Mexican can apply for a green card to enter the US permanently. The only real way they can come in is to marry a US citizen or have a close relative who is a US resident or citizen petition for them thru what is commonly called "family reunification"

There is also a temp work visa I think its called H2B in which Mexicans can enter and work in the US, but they can not adjust status for a green card with this type of visa. H2b are also limited each year. Some farms as far away as Florida actually apply for them.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
There's no pathway for them. If we are specially talking about Mexicans they can cross the land border with the US at any time and travel freely within 20 miles of the border. This is basically a tourist visa, although i don't think passports are stamped at land borders.

To obtain an official visa they would have to apply at the US embassy in Mexico and attend an interview. Assuming they pass and are given the visa its valid for 10 years and they can stay for a max of 6 months at a time. This is only a tourist visa and they can not apply for a green card, citizenship, or work with this type of visa.

Only rich Mexicans get these 10 year visas and they can be renewed.

No poor Mexican can apply for a green card to enter the US permanently. The only real way they can come in is to marry a US citizen or have a close relative petition for them thru what is commonly called "family reunification"

There is also a temp work visa I think its called H2B in which Mexicans can enter and work in the US, but they can not adjust status for a green card with this type of visa. H2b are also limited each year. Some farms as far away as Florida actually apply for them.
You can twist it anyway you want, but they have the same pathway as other foreign nationals living in other countries do. illegally immigrating should not be a pathway to citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies