Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A pathway to citizenship for all illegals including DACA
The pathway already exists for all illegals including DACA 49 63.64%
No pathway exists. 23 29.87%
I don’t know. 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Honest answer please. Don’t cheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
A pathway to US citizenship exists for hopeful immigrants.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
The pathway has always existed. Criminal aliens either are unwilling to wait their turn or have done something to keep them from being accepted-such as a criminal history.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:55 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Honest answer please. Don’t cheat.
Just what is the point of this poll? Yes, they have the same pathway to citizenship of any other person wanting to migrate here to live. They should be banned to never get to stay here or get citizenship but that is the only concession I would give them if I had a choice. Go back to the country where you are a legal citizen and get in line. We sent you to kindergarten. Didn't you learn anything?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:04 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
I believe illegals can become citizens if they marry a citizen.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Marriage or engagement to a US citizen is one of the criteria for legal immigration. But if someone is already here illegally, they are not eligible to "go back and come in the right way" because they already have a criminal record. That would disqualify them for immigration.

Sometimes I have heard of getting an immigration lawyer to "adjust status." That's if they came illegally, married a US citizen, and wish to become a legal permanent resident/green card holder with a path to citizenship.

In the case of DACA, it's a special case because they were brought as kids and didn't know it was illegal or had no control over it so some means of making them legal needs to be established.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:13 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I used to believe that was true until I met a guy at work that had married a woman from Russia. They still had to go through a lot of red tape to get her citizenship. In no way is citizenship automatic when getting married. I think they can get their green cards faster though.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Perhaps but very tricky. If an illegal has been in the US for more than a year illegally he or she is banned for ten years from the US. There is a hardship waiver but it is not a guarantee. And under Trump even applying for it may get you deported. And once deported you will have to beat the 10 year ban. So it is very expensive and may well end up getting you deported.

Last edited by lvmensch; 01-28-2018 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 03:19 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Where is the option in the Poll for FOLLOW IMMIGRATION LAW?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Marriage or engagement to a US citizen is one of the criteria for legal immigration. But if someone is already here illegally, they are not eligible to "go back and come in the right way" because they already have a criminal record. That would disqualify them for immigration.

Sometimes I have heard of getting an immigration lawyer to "adjust status." That's if they came illegally, married a US citizen, and wish to become a legal permanent resident/green card holder with a path to citizenship.

In the case of DACA, it's a special case because they were brought as kids and didn't know it was illegal or had no control over it so some means of making them legal needs to be established.
Dreamers in the DACA program do have a potential out. They can get a parole that allows them to leave the US and return. If they can meet the conditions for the parole they become legal entrants when they return. Somewhat tricky though and they need to be very careful. If a Dreamer pulls it off they can marry a US citizen and obtain a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies