Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,082,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I am a Trump guy and open to the wall idea(I say open because I think it will help and I think illegal immigration is way way way out of hand, I mean it is so out of hand that when I go to Home Depot these illegal immigrants will gladly tell me their stories of how they came into the USA illegal, and the funny part is they are not Mexicans mostly, they are mostly Guatemalans and other people south of Mexico lol, they told me it was harder to get into MEXICO then the USA lol. "Amgio so easy to get into Texas, but so hard to get into Mexico, so dangerous" lol seriously lol)

But I must agree with something Barney Sanders said recently. He said a wall is primitive and not cost effective(he probably is a open borders kind of guy but still he made a point). A literal wall is not the most effective thing in my mind. What are some of the estimate cost? 70 billion? Couldn't that 70 billion be used for cameras, sensors, more agents, more support to local police, etc.

I am just really concerned that this will be a waste of funny. Again I am a pro Trump guy, anti illegal immigration guy, anti Sanders guy. For you pro Trump pro wall guys, I am on your side, but I am really concerned that this will not make the situation any better. Those cartels will find a way, they will just have to try harder and charge more, but they will find a way to get people inside the USA. We have to destroy the incentives and crack down on sanctuary policies. Sure the wall is better than nothing, but it really might be for show only. Who knows, maybe the cartels are rooting for Trump, maybe they want the wall, seriously! Then illegal immigrants will HAVE to use the cartels.
You do realize that when Trump is no longer President, things like cameras, sensors, more agents and more local police may no longer be part of the picture. All of those things were available to Obama, but he chose the opposite direction. ICE agents were told to look the other way or lose their jobs. All those things can be turned off or ignored, agents could be downsized and local police can be told to look the other way as well as they do in California.
Having at least some physical barrier or wall along some of the border is the only thing that will last and future Presidents can't turn off.
Do you for a moment think the pro illegal pro open border people don't know this and this is why are are against any kind of permanent strong physical barrier? When was the last time the left in this country had any problem with spending billions when it promoted their cause? They certainly don't have any issues at all spending billions feeding, housing, educating and providing free health care for illegals right now.

Last edited by marino760; 01-30-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 AM

62,365 posts, read 28,641,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
They may dig under it if they want to get in. I saw the tunnels the Mexican’s dug all the way to San Diego...

Only the drug cartels attempt such a feat not your ordinary illegal alien. Try again!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Yep, thats true. Even so, lots of businesses do hire them. At least that source of jobs would be gone. Next, do a constant check at places like schools and hospitals. Illegals found, deport them.

Start incrementally, do the obvious steps first. Instead of wasting a lot of money.

Once again, the wall isn't a waste of money. Why can't you get that through your head??? There are laws about eminent domain also. Those who don't want a wall on their property can deal with the illegals themselves then. Let's see how long before they start crying for a wall.

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/ar...ll0331-ON.html

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

Old 01-30-2018, 02:56 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,744,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
E-verify is not everything. ... E-verify will do nothing regarding this portion of illegals. T....
They consume our money through welfare, education to their kids, more policing needs and emergency room costs. By deporting them we can save all that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The 700 mile long wall was already approved by congress in 2006. Don't you think they knew it was going to be feasible and doable? As another poster pointed out many illegals work for cash and criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall.
Hungary built hundreds of miles just like that, even though they dont have the financial resources of the USA. It is easy to built, it is not unaffordable, just the will is needed.

Quote:
Once again, the wall isn't a waste of money. Why can't you get that through your head??? ...]
They are ideologically possessed, they tell all kinds of twists and lies to prevent you from preventing illegals from pouring in. Illegal migrants and muslim refugees are their sacred cow or "messiah" that they worship. It is a religious issue, except they wont admit that either. You cannot convince these people, they have to be suppressed by forced, for example prosecuting them for treason.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM

20,602 posts, read 8,366,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Having at least some physical barrier along some of the border is the only thing that will last and future Presidents can't turn off. Do you for a moment think the pro open border people don't know this and this is why are are against any kind of permanent strong physical barrier?.
Exactly. Dems don't want to stop a flood of future Dem voters. I'm not crazy about allowing more DACAs in than originally signed up but they won't be able to vote for twelve years, long after Schumer, Pelosi and McConnell are dead. Worth the risk. If they screw up -- don't work or break the law -- they won't be eligible.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,788,835 times
Quote:
Once again, the wall isn't a waste of money. Why can't you get that through your head??? There are laws about eminent domain also. Those who don't want a wall on their property can deal with the illegals themselves then. Let's see how long before they start crying for a wall.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928
Lots of property to be bought. Seized? Don't count on that. This is Texas.

Should the property issue ever be settled and the path of the wall determined, I do kinda wonder how they are going to transport all that wall material needed to the sites. Thats ummm maybe 2000 miles of stuff to be delivered. Those huge trucks hauling that stuff can't be driven on just anything.

Hmmm, could be they may have to build a few thousand miles of roads to handle the heavy duty vehicles needed to do the job. And later, to do day-to-day wall maintenance. New roads, more property battles. And then connectors from these new roads to major highways and interstates must be constructed. And so, still more property battles.

All this is going to be required before the first foot of wall is installed. What do you think this road building project will cost? I bet a lot.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 AM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:

Should the property issue ever be settled and the path of the wall determined, I do kinda wonder how they are going to transport all that wall material needed to the sites. Thats ummm maybe 2000 miles of stuff to be delivered. Those huge trucks hauling that stuff can't be driven on just anything.

Hmmm, could be they may have to build a few thousand miles of roads to handle the heavy duty vehicles needed to do the job. And later, to do day-to-day wall maintenance. New roads, more property battles. And then connectors from these new roads to major highways and interstates must be constructed. And so, still more property battles.

All this is going to be required before the first foot of wall is installed. What do you think this road building project will cost? I bet a lot.
You do realize we already have a border, a border patrolled by vehicles? There are roads on both sides of the border that go near it. In many cases it will be much cheaper to purchase the material in Mexico and bring it up from there.

That one will make you go hmmmm huh.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:

There is no plan to build a 2,000 mile long wall anymore. Trump is just asking that the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of the border, already approved by congress in 2006 but not funded be built now.

The projected cost is $25 billion vs the $100 billion that illegals cost us every year....do the math!

Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 AM

2,550 posts, read 1,893,123 times
Quote:
The projected cost is $25 billion vs the $100 billion that illegals cost us every year....do the math!
Sometimes, procuring votes is an expensive venture.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,788,835 times
Quote:
There is no plan to build a 2,000 mile long wall anymore. Trump is just asking that the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of the border, already approved by congress in 2006 but not funded be built now.

So the length of an actual wall is shrinking. Now in some places nothing to be done, then fencing for 700 miles already existing and parts of whats left gets a wall. Why? Makes no sense.

This entire proposal is a boondoggle waiting. A joke. Money to be for some had though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies