Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM

244 posts, read 181,015 times

Advertisements

I set aside an hour and a half and carefully listened to Trump's State of the Union yesterday. My conclusion is that it all revolved around the following formula:

*We are giving your more money and going after foreigners who want to hurt you*

I challenge you to critically go over the entire thing, sentence by sentence, and find the pieces that do not follow either the first or the second parts of the above statement. You will find few such instances and those few will be along the lines of "you are uniquely great" and "God is with you". Which ties right back into the original formula in the way of justifying it.

The highlighted statement appeals to two basic emotions: greed (more money) and fear (foreigners are after you). Now I know from personal experience that when my life is driven by greed and fear, it is a very narrow, suffocating life. It is a lonely, depressing life. It is a boring life. It is a life which causes suffering to others because I am so self centered and see others only as either threats or means to fulfill my desires. Most importantly, it is a life that is not worth living or even protecting.

Every wise man's teaching in history of humanity can be boiled down to : do *not* base your life on greed and fear. From Buddha, to Jesus, to Shakespeare and even to a good psychotherapist the message is always the same: if you want to be happy, step away from your likes and dislikes and find a bigger meaning.

At least, that is how the central message of Trump's speech plays out on a personal level. Maybe it is somehow different when applied nationally? Maybe we as a nation can somehow be great even with our leadirship putting greed and fear into the driver's seat? I encourage everyone to drop "liberal" and "conservative" for a bit and ponder this question on its own merits.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Exactly! Obama was all about his global citizen agenda and promises/apologies to loser countries who hate us.
Last night was a speech about and for American citizens.
It's a travesty that democrats can't see that. They are the party that supports illegals, criminals, foreigners... and they support American citizens taking a seat in the back of their anti-American bus.

Trump is all about making America great by uplifting her citizens and locking out the sludge. And the democrats hate him for it.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If we're going to give Obama the credit for reducing black unemployment, we should also assign him the blame for causing it. Check out the monthly stats, courtesy of the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Notice how the rate is hovering around 8 percent during 2007. But then, in mid 2008 -- right around the time that it looked like Obama was going to be our next president -- the rate jumped into double digits. It shot up to 12.7% in January 2009, when Obama took office. And then it just kept on going up, and up, and up, peaking at 16.5% in April 2011.
If you want to blame Obama for the the economic crash before he even took office, go right ahead. We were losing 800 000 jobs per month, and its obvious that cannot stop in a day. However, it did stop, and the trend reversed leading to where we are today. As you know today Trump says HE is very proud of the accomplishment.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:26 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
You miss the point.
Obama had nothing to do with black unemployment rates, hence why, when black unemployment rates reduced under obama, he didn't take credit.
And....the unemployment rate for blacks isn't affect by Trump either....yet Trump is trying to take credit for that.

Neither president had anything to do with the rate, and as such, neither should take credit....but Trump just can't help himself.
Unemployment rates are affected by the economy. Are you saying that presidents don't have any effect on the economy?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You found a Radio Shack that sells CB radios? The last time I was in one all they had was cell phones and overpriced electronics.
All I've found in the rare Radio Shacks I've seen is outdated power cord or antenna pigtails for obsolete 20-year-old equipment and overpriced batteries.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you want to blame Obama for the the economic crash before he even took office, go right ahead. We were losing 800 000 jobs per month, and its obvious that cannot stop in a day. However, it did stop, and the trend reversed leading to where we are today. As you know today Trump says HE is very proud of the accomplishment.

So, if you are still saying this is Obama economy and his job growth and everything else in the first year is all Obama, then the first year of Obama is clearly because of bush....

Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
I set aside an hour and a half and carefully listened to Trump's State of the Union yesterday. My conclusion is that it all revolved around the following formula:

*We are giving your more money and going after foreigners who want to hurt you*
Or . . . We are returning your hard earned dollars to you and enforcing the law.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
OR . . . we are increasing the national debt by 1.2 trillion dollars.

Money that will come out of YOUR taxes.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:32 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Or . . . We are returning your hard earned dollars to you and enforcing the law.
Or they are going to give us a few bucks but let companies off the hook for paying their fair share of taxes by granting them a tax holiday on the cash they earned offshore. Oh, and our getting more of our hard earned dollars ends in a few years while it doesn't for corporations or people own large portions of them.

Oh, and there is a boogie man out there.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, if you are still saying this is Obama economy and his job growth and everything else in the first year is all Obama, then the first year of Obama is clearly because of bush....
I said what I said, and that wasn't it, but since you bring it up, yes, the economy 1st year in anyone's presidency is inherited.

Obama inherited Bush economy, which was a complete disaster, with 800 000 jobs lost per month.

Trump inherited Obama's economy, with a long trend of declining unemployment.

What part of it do you not agree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies