Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You do what you have to do. Personally, I think that "stomach bug", or food poisoning, is far worse than the flu. Ok, it is generally over quicker but it ain't no fun hugging your toilet bowl if you know what I mean.

One year when we were visiting our kids and grandson, he gave everyone that stomach virus. My husband had to go back to work and drove back from NY to Florida wearing Depends, drinking Gatorade, and eating bananas.

You do what you have to do, and what is right for YOU.
I have suffered from Montezuma's revenge in Mexico City. You have to have both ends in the hopper at the same time! But the flu was worse; I fought for every breath - I was also thousands of miles from home and I had to question if I would ever see my home again.

If they had a vaccine available to avoid the Montezuma's revenge; I would have gladly taken it. The idea is to avoid suffering when possible. Yes; you could say that you are getting immunized when your get sick; but why take that chance if possible? If the vaccines that I helped make were not effective; they would not be recommended by the CDC - heck; I would not recommend them. I am proud that I work on a product that can save lives and I would be doing it again this season if my wife did not have cancer. I wished that we made a drug that could cure my wife's cancer.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm watching these news reports on the news and after the newsman reports "Two more people died of the flu including one child" they never fail to say, "If you haven't gotten the flu shot get it now! It's not too late." This strikes me as nothing more than yellow journalism designed to attempt to scare people into spending $25 to get the vaccine. But it is now reported that:

https://www.ecowatch.com/should-i-ge...132041142.html

I personally just stay away from crowded conditions and if I have to be in them I wear a good viral mask. But doesn't the pharmaceutical companies making these vaccines also make billions of dollars off a vaccine that may harm more than it helps, if it helps at all and aren't the news medias just using sensational reporting tactics to help them and to boost their own ratings?
When I was in the service, we had to get all sorts of vaccinations. I only got sick twice and that was the crud in Korea.

At least, YOU have the choice of getting the vaccine or not. According to the CDC, the flu season hasn’t peaked yet. The flu has been particularly deadly this year.

You don’t want to get the shot, don’t get it. I don’t always get flu shots but this year I did. I have not been sick.

I do believe that consistent, thorough hand washing, masks and staying away from sick people does play a big part in health promotion.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
When I was in the service, we had to get all sorts of vaccinations. I only got sick twice and that was the crud in Korea.

At least, YOU have the choice of getting the vaccine or not. According to the CDC, the flu season hasn’t peaked yet. The flu has been particularly deadly this year.

You don’t want to get the shot, don’t get it. I don’t always get flu shots but this year I did. I have not been sick.

I do believe that consistent, thorough hand washing, masks and staying away from sick people does play a big part in health promotion.
you are absolutely right.....

my mom, had a lung disease, along with several other complications. Doctor told us to keep sick people out of the house...and away from her and as long as people were coughing they were contagious...

hand washing is essential....and being aware if your sick to stay away from other people.

My immune system is compromised and I don't go out to eat a whole lot during flu season, why? Because the cooks, and waitresses go in when they're sick. They cannot afford to take time off....unless they really go down sick.

I worked a lot of restaurants in my day but only worked in one, where the owner insisted, we had a bucket full of bleach water at all our stations, and when someone left, we'd wipe the table down, along with the seats, salt and pepper and napkin holder down...b/c people came in sick. I'd constantly and gladly be putting my hands in that water, after clearing off a table, and I was rarely sick while working there. I'd change my water a lot, as well.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Does not discuss the flu in a meaningful manner, and does not answer my questions. Did you read the article?

"children in school" doesn't explain the seasonal flu
The article is relevant because flu is not the only seasonal infection.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
If flu shots were so great and effective they wouldn't be so worried about mandating that we all get them. They'd sell themselves. Since they are worthless at best is why you see all the flu news coverage and ads.

I'll never get a flu shot, especially because the CDC thinks it's a good idea. I'd rather eat rusty nails.
Mmmm...sharpen those molars.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The only person who has said that is you.

Numbers indicate that this is the worse flu year in about a decade.
I'm talking about flu deaths. And people are going nuts over it. Look at how many people have been posting here believing they will get sick and die if they don't get the vaccine. And quoting children deaths again and again, when a child has about a 0.000008% chance of dying from the flu.

When was the last time you watched the news and the number of deaths and GET THE SHOT NOW!!! rhetoric wasn't applied? Way back in July maybe?

I guess I just know healthy people. I have never known ANYONE who got the flu. No matter what part of the country I lived in. I have a very pro-vaccine friend, does everything her dr tells her, does everything her ped tells her (both kids were preemies and both are autistic, so she is very pro-Dr) but even she draws the line at the flu vaccine. And that's saying something.

The older I get the more I realize how much people like living in fear all the time rather than investigating for themselves and doing basic fact finding.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

For now.

Give it 10 years.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:35 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
I'm talking about flu deaths. And people are going nuts over it. Look at how many people have been posting here believing they will get sick and die if they don't get the vaccine. And quoting children deaths again and again, when a child has about a 0.000008% chance of dying from the flu.

When was the last time you watched the news and the number of deaths and GET THE SHOT NOW!!! rhetoric wasn't applied? Way back in July maybe?

I guess I just know healthy people. I have never known ANYONE who got the flu. No matter what part of the country I lived in. I have a very pro-vaccine friend, does everything her dr tells her, does everything her ped tells her (both kids were preemies and both are autistic, so she is very pro-Dr) but even she draws the line at the flu vaccine. And that's saying something.

The older I get the more I realize how much people like living in fear all the time rather than investigating for themselves and doing basic fact finding.

You are pretty much the only one going nuts over the issue.

NO ONE has said "if I do not get the flu shot I will get sick and die", more along the lines of "I wish to decrease my odds of catching the flu, and if I do, I want to decrease the severity, so I get the flu shot."

Living in fear? Yeah, that must be it. ROFL
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You are pretty much the only one going nuts over the issue.

NO ONE has said "if I do not get the flu shot I will get sick and die", more along the lines of "I wish to decrease my odds of catching the flu, and if I do, I want to decrease the severity, so I get the flu shot."

Living in fear? Yeah, that must be it. ROFL
it absolutely is. Otherwise why bother with the vaccine?

Fear. Fear every night on the news.

30% efficacy is garbage. Decreased severity? How? They never know what the strain will be. There is no way to reduce severity in an unknown strain. How do they know that this year's strain -- which they are guessing -- can have severity reduced? They don't. They haven't *seen* it yet. They don't know what it can do.

You're brainwashed. And don't even know it. You live in fear. Every day.

Please do some real research, stop posting random links off PubMed and actually read and learn and explain in your own words. Once you start doing that you begin to learn. Not regurgitate and parrot back without thought whatsoever and depend on everyone else to do the thinking for you.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

You're brainwashed. And don't even know it. You live in fear. Every day.

This is just really, really weird.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies