Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

I'm watching these news reports on the news and after the newsman reports "Two more people died of the flu including one child" they never fail to say, "If you haven't gotten the flu shot get it now! It's not too late." This strikes me as nothing more than yellow journalism designed to attempt to scare people into spending $25 to get the vaccine. But it is now reported that:

Quote:
CDC data suggest flu shots may take more lives than they save

Not only are there serious questions about the efficacy of the flu vaccine, there is evidence to suggest that getting the vaccine every year may cause damage to the immune system.

In a peer-reviewed study published in Clinical Infectious Diseases in March 2016, a team of Canadian researchers found that people who were vaccinated against the flu three years in a row were actually at higher risk of being infected with the flu.
https://www.ecowatch.com/should-i-ge...132041142.html

I personally just stay away from crowded conditions and if I have to be in them I wear a good viral mask. But doesn't the pharmaceutical companies making these vaccines also make billions of dollars off a vaccine that may harm more than it helps, if it helps at all and aren't the news medias just using sensational reporting tactics to help them and to boost their own ratings?

Old 01-30-2018, 09:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Of course it is trying to convince people to buy it/get it/ demand it.

Yet it's effectiveness has been estimated at 10% to 30%.

Yet: GET IT NOW!!! GET THE SHOT!!!

Marketing. Fear tactics. Poor product.

And the CDC is THE No. 1 marketing/advertising firm for these manufacturers. The CDC will never admit the vaccine is worthless or advise the public that it is useless.

Anyone who thinks the CDC is nonbiased is 100% clueless. The agency exists only out of fear. If there were no illnesses to fear, they wouldn't have jobs.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Vaccine does zero harm (unless you're allergic to eggs). None. Zip. Zero. Nadda. TONS of medical research to back this up, though not always easily found or digested (my wife was 'The' Tamiflu person about a decade ago, handling all medical questions from hospitals/doctors and thus became pretty well versed in the flu). I know, all sorts of arm-chair deniers out there... who don't have a medical degree, ready access to the data/studies or the knowledge/experience to parse that information. Plus, when you've made your mind about something it's all to easy for confirmation bias to cloud the impartial viewpoint.

This years flu is bad combined with a poor prediction on the strains. Pushing for people to not only immunize themselves ALSO helps protect those they come into contact with. You can avoid every crowd in the world, but touch that printer after a co-worker who went to a concert over the weekend and it's all for naught. Or that grocery cart handle... or your mail.

As for Profits? Looks like flu shots account for about 0.3% of all SALES, and at a lower % profit than the rest of pharmaceuticals (43% vs 47% both are ~ish). Making a profit isn't a bad thing, it's the reason a business exists. It's the reason you are employed and have a paycheck too... No one is making a killing off this stuff.

Nevermind that, in the US, if you have health insurance the flu shot is included in that insurance cost... yes, yes, with all the required stipulations of going to someone your insurance covers. Not like it's an Additional $25 out of pocket, that's $25 already spent and gone. Why not get a return on that expense?

Think about Polio or Smallpox... the flu is different in the quickness that it mutates, but a world-wide push to vaccinate everyone, every year, would make huge inroads on just how many people have to suffer/die from it. I don't get the shot for me (and have only just started getting them starting 4 years ago, well after my wife left her position), I get it to help protect my young neblings and elder family members. I get it to keep from becoming a carrier...

Old 01-30-2018, 09:14 AM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
One of my best friends - a healthy, vibrant woman in her 30s - died alone in her apartment from the flu two weeks ago. We've since learned she didn't get her shot. People in her social circle who developed the flu at the same time all had their shot and were only out of commission for a week.

Get your damn flu shot. It may not prevent the flu this season, but it will lessen the severity and may prevent another person like me from finding their dear friend dead in her apartment.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Vaccine does zero harm (unless you're allergic to eggs).
Really????????????

Are you actually going to go toe to toe with a peer reviewed study by researchers who say the opposite?????

Let me repeat it because i think you glossed right over it:

Quote:
CDC data suggest flu shots may take more lives than they save

Not only are there serious questions about the efficacy of the flu vaccine, there is evidence to suggest that getting the vaccine every year may cause damage to the immune system.

In a peer-reviewed study published in Clinical Infectious Diseases in March 2016, a team of Canadian researchers found that people who were vaccinated against the flu three years in a row were actually at higher risk of being infected with the flu.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:49 AM

Have an active, healthy friend who got the flu shot for work and was hospitalized days later with Guillume Barre. Fortunately she recovered without any lasting effects -- after 10 days in the hospital.

Yes, please tell her the shot does zero harm /EYEROLL/.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
One of my best friends - a healthy, vibrant woman in her 30s - died alone in her apartment from the flu two weeks ago. We've since learned she didn't get her shot. People in her social circle who developed the flu at the same time all had their shot and were only out of commission for a week.

Get your damn flu shot. It may not prevent the flu this season, but it will lessen the severity and may prevent another person like me from finding their dear friend dead in her apartment.
You realize that there is a 70%-90% chance she would've died if she had the shot, right? Some people just die.

And if she was your best friend, how did she die alone with no one helping her if she had the deadly flu? Why wasn't she in the hospital?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight ....

Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Doctors get kickbacks for many meds, so they promote them.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
1976. Swine flu vaccine killed my grandmother. Another woman in my town got Guillain-Barre syndrome after receiving the vaccine.
No thank you flu shot

Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
If flu shots were so great and effective they wouldn't be so worried about mandating that we all get them. They'd sell themselves. Since they are worthless at best is why you see all the flu news coverage and ads.

I'll never get a flu shot, especially because the CDC thinks it's a good idea. I'd rather eat rusty nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies