Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I never trust these "look how dumb people are" interviews. How do we know that we aren't just seeing a small subset of people they interviewed?
But NYU students?

Old 01-30-2018, 03:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But NYU students?
I taught college freshmen for a few years. No idea how some of them got in the door. I guess they are book smart, but fail at common sense.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:29 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Not at all. But if they interviewed 100 people, only 10 of them said something dumb, and Fox News only shows the 10 bozos, that's a good definition of bias and propaganda.

And to be fair, CNN, MSNBC, and pretty much all mainstream media do this same thing.
Thats my point. They are trying to look like the whole generation knows nothing. The mission to shame the younger generations.....

Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
I never trust these "look how dumb people are" interviews. How do we know that we aren't just seeing a small subset of people they interviewed?

I bet if I interviewed 100 people here in Chicago, I could find 5 that said they like Trump. I could make a documentary showing only these people and claim that "all Chicagoans like Trump".

Nothing more than political propaganda.
I can't argue with your post, because you are absolutely right. Interviews like this can indeed be twisted and edited to serve a particular agenda. However, as I said, this was not just an isolated incident. I have read countless accounts of how our college students are acting and reacting to what they are being told everyday by their instructors, peers, and the mainstream media. Those who dare to show support for our president are being treated like dirt on college campuses around the country, and for no other reason than they aren't just following along with the group. We, as a society, are constantly speaking out against bullying, yet no one seems to care that these students are being treated this way on college campuses. And the ones treating them this way are the same kinds of people who we saw in these interviews. There is a war against thinking for yourself going on all across our nation, and the main aggressors are those on the left. So while I agree with you on how these types of interviews can be bent to support a certain point of view, I submit that this is not a "subset" of people who are being questioned here. This is literally how those on the liberal side have been acting towards Trump since day one. Most refuse to even listen to what he is actually saying. They have been told to hate him, and so, they do. Even if they are hating him for words he hasn't even spoken yet.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:28 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Meanwhile, one of our very own Trump supporters has already started a thread about how there couldn't possibly be anything to refute tonight following the State of the Union despite not yet hearing it: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ttal-sotu.html

Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
The young people who are supposed to be the future of this country have once again been shown to be nothing but sheep
If you're a business owner, you want sheep. Ever hear of the phrase corporate drone?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:48 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
When the trolled lefty goober started in with, "I think there is enough progressive intellectual people..."

I lost it, forgive me I did

Oh really? Like yourself? Oh...my...goodness...

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I didn't pay any attention to politics in college. It was all about Greek life.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
That's right folks. As I stated in the OP, the young people who are supposed to be the future of this country have once again been shown to be nothing but sheep, being led by the mainstream media and the Democrat party. I mean, how else can anyone explain these students reactions and comments about a speech that has not even happened yet? And I mean, they didn't just comment, most acted as if they actually watched the speech and remembered certain things that happened. Like one woman in the video talking about the president starting a chant. I mean come on people, at this point, I don't care what your political affiliation is, you have to see how ridiculous this is. And the most awful part about it is this is not an isolated event. While the featured school in the report is NYU, this is a common theme which is running through most college campuses across the nation. Our young people have been infected by the hatred of their parents, teachers, the media, etc. And it's gotten so bad that they don't even have a mind to listen to the other side at all. The left and the Democrat party are always telling us that they are the ones who care about education, equality, critical thinking, etc. Then I ask you, why haven't you promoted those ideals to your children? Because I submit to you that this is not an example of a free-thinking intelligent group of rising stars. These poor kids act more like programmed robots, ready to spew anti-Trump/pro leftist rhetoric whenever a chance arises to do so. And it would appear that includes weighing in on events that haven't even happened yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that's very sad. And I can't help but worry about what will happen when these kids are the ones actually running things. I know that's been said about every generation for the last 2 centuries, but this time, I think we should actually get worried.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...sSzkC2aZD_0jhR

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2lpb1RyQtDB5A4

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4gRcMQA6buKUEw

PS. Sorry if you don't like the sites I've linked for you to look at. If you are one of those people out there who think everything that's not a CNN link is fake, I apologize. Sadly, CNN won't cover this sort of nonsense. To many of the same kids featured in this story watch that channel for their news. CNN wouldn't want to hurt their feelings or call them out on their nonsense.
Oh Kimmel does this bit on his tv show ALL the time. He goes out and asks some question that is not base don facts and people are so serious and answer it. Of course they only show the funniest or the most ridiculous answers. Who knows if they interview a 1000 people for 20 answers or 5000 -- who knows.

The fact you think is is has some kind of big meaning and speaks to most young people -- well -- let's just say you might want to read a little about sampling, making conclusions, etc. It's meant to entertain and it did right?

Psst CNN never covers when Kimmel does it either.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
I can't argue with your post, because you are absolutely right. Interviews like this can indeed be twisted and edited to serve a particular agenda. However, as I said, this was not just an isolated incident. I have read countless accounts of how our college students are acting and reacting to what they are being told everyday by their instructors, peers, and the mainstream media. Those who dare to show support for our president are being treated like dirt on college campuses around the country, and for no other reason than they aren't just following along with the group. We, as a society, are constantly speaking out against bullying, yet no one seems to care that these students are being treated this way on college campuses. And the ones treating them this way are the same kinds of people who we saw in these interviews. There is a war against thinking for yourself going on all across our nation, and the main aggressors are those on the left. So while I agree with you on how these types of interviews can be bent to support a certain point of view, I submit that this is not a "subset" of people who are being questioned here. This is literally how those on the liberal side have been acting towards Trump since day one. Most refuse to even listen to what he is actually saying. They have been told to hate him, and so, they do. Even if they are hating him for words he hasn't even spoken yet.
Your perception of life is completely opposite of mine.

The college kids I know are so in tune and aware and they don't take anything they here from people like you, me or their teachers as fact. Just like us they can muddle through all the noise and get to the truth.

I've been listening to Trump for 30 years and know very well what he is saying. I hear him loud and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies