Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Find something new? Like all the out of work coal miners who refuse to get an education so they can find something new? And besides, I thought Trump was keeping jobs here in the U.S. That's what he promised
Why do you care about them? They're all racists and deplorables most of which didn't go to college and thus are stupid too. Did I miss any of your talking points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Aw, and they stopped making the Hummer too.

Now how will all those middle-class and blue-collar strivers with partial education but full "sleeves" demonstrate they are just as successful and worthy of admiration as the software engineers and bankers and such?

Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why do you care about them? They're all racists and deplorables most of which didn't go to college and thus are stupid too. Did I miss any of your talking points?
I didn't say any of that. You did. You can look at any and all of my past posts. You will not see anything about racists and deplorables. I don't like to call people names.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
So let me get this straight...

You're excusing a manufacturer because a president rolled back taxes and regulations to make it easier for a company to do business?

Am I understanding this correctly because I'm laughing that you are blaming a president, for a manufacturers inability to generate demand and profit?

LOL

Trump doesn't run Harley does he?

In this thread we learn who runs a business and who has no concept of supply demand and burdens through government regulations plus taxes.

who is excusing a manufacturer? I think you are missing the point here...try to keep up pls...

rolling back taxes and regulations certainly didn't help this plant did it? I guess not.

The thesis of the argument you seem to be missing is that the tax cuts were sold as one that would increase wages and would result in massive wave of business expansion/investment. however, those of us with half a brain argued it would only result in increased dividends and share buybacks (which is exactly what CEO's of said corps were saying they would do). Instead we should look for actual ways to increase wages in a meaningful way (the 20 bucks at best a paycheck most people are seeing doesn't hack it) which would in turn increase demand. now that this has been shown to actually be what has happened my question what was point of the tax cuts? (I'd argue what regulatory cuts were in play since you brought that up as well- for all the good any of them did) We added 2 Trillion to the debt, for what? Working people see no benefit. It didn't lead to increased wages or massive business expansion. It juiced the bank balances of the C suite...wonderful...that was the plan all along...

Old 05-24-2018, 10:12 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Just so you have a little insight as to why Harley is failing.

1. In 2013 my wide glide was on the show room floor at dealerships priced between 14 and 18k before sales tax.

How many 20-30 somethings have disposable income for a luxury item?
Boats, motorcycles (except for in certain states with a climate that yields year round riding weather), ATVs, Dirt Bikes, motor homes and travel trailers, are not necessities. They are luxuries. Toys.

2. They mass produce not hand craft, mass produce motorcycles. Yet are priced double that of their Japanese competition. You could buy a Honda Suzuki Yamaha for half the price of the comparable Harley.
AND HAVE LIQUID COOLING TOO!

3. Poor marketing. Sorry, the ads with the bearded beer belly middle aged dude in leather with a tough guy image didn't get me excited... I don't swing that way.

4. Nothing to captivate 20-30 somethings.
Look around. What do 20-30 somethings typically ride?
Crotch rockets. Enduros. What does Harley sell? Heavy air cooled couches with wheels. They are comfortable bikes. I give credit where credit is due.
Bland styling save for the wide glide the sportster 72 and the Rocker C.
But why buy a Rocker C for 20k+ when you could buy a Honda Fury for 10,300?

Again... this is Harley davidson. They manufacture motorcycles and motorcycles only.

In theory they should have sales going through the roof. With a much lower MSRP.

Honda doesn't strictly sell motorcycles. They're in multiple markets.
Suzuki doesn't strictly sell motorcycles. They're in multiple markets.
Kawasaki doesn't strictly sell motorcycles. They're in multiple markets.
Yamaha doesn't strictly sell motorcycles. They're in multiple markets.

Look at Victory/Indian. Owned by Polaris.
They're in multiple markets too.

So if Harley only markets 1 thing and 1 thing only they better do it better than everyone else. Or fail.

How that's relevant to Trump? I don't know...

Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight...

You're excusing a manufacturer because a president rolled back taxes and regulations to make it easier for a company to do business?

Am I understanding this correctly because I'm laughing that you are blaming a president, for a manufacturers inability to generate demand and profit?

LOL

Trump doesn't run Harley does he?

In this thread we learn who runs a business and who has no concept of supply demand and burdens through government regulations plus taxes.
Not sure why you are upset. This is clearly a troll thread, the OP even admitted that their justification was because Trump supporters give him credit for everything.

So just kick back and grab a handful of poo and start chucking!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
who is excusing a manufacturer? I think you are missing the point here...try to keep up pls...

rolling back taxes and regulations certainly didn't help this plant did it? I guess not.

The thesis of the argument you seem to be missing is that the tax cuts were sold as one that would increase wages and would result in massive wave of business expansion/investment. however, those of us with half a brain argued it would only result in increased dividends and share buybacks (which is exactly what CEO's of said corps were saying they would do). Instead we should look for actual ways to increase wages in a meaningful way (the 20 bucks at best a paycheck most people are seeing doesn't hack it) which would in turn increase demand. now that this has been shown to actually be what has happened my question what was point of the tax cuts? (I'd argue what regulatory cuts were in play since you brought that up as well- for all the good any of them did) We added 2 Trillion to the debt, for what? Working people see no benefit. It didn't lead to increased wages or massive business expansion. It juiced the bank balances of the C suite...wonderful...that was the plan all along...
You're excusing the manufacturer and pinning the blame on Trump for Harley not having record breaking profits and booming expanding manufacturing. Trump isn't running Harley. Business school grads and dummies run Harley.

Perhaps instead of buying shares back, maybe spend that money in marketing and research and development? Maybe focus on profits through volume with a quality product, a desirable affordable product is an idea?

I don't price myself out of the market for goods and services. I sell value and quality. I'm not looking to retire tomorrow.

Put me in charge of Harley I'd have a manufacturing plant in every state and bikes priced starting at 3k and on up.
Something that attracts younger generations.
Something with a superior warranty.
Something that isn't in the shop more than its on the road.
If all I had to focus on was building and selling motorcycles...

Want a business model to follow?
Look up Palmetto State Armory.

What started out as an online sales store of discounted firearm parts and accessories has turned into a business that is expanding manufacturing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=f3eQGOCHsi4

Don't care what your stance on firearms is, that's how you run a business. Sucessfully. And gainfully employ people.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's some of their idiot riders that make them insanely noisy. I don't blame Harley for having a segment of riders that are complete and total D-bags.
Only d bags buy Harleys. The two things go together hand in hand. At one point it may have been considered cool to be a leather wearing poseur d bag making noise with your straight pipes while rocking your tats and do rag desperately trying to get people to pay attention to your awesomeness. Today, most people just laugh and point at the accountants and dentists acting like tough guys while sitting on Harleys parked in front of a Starbucks.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
You're excusing the manufacturer and pinning the blame on Trump for Harley not having record breaking profits and booming expanding manufacturing.

Perhaps instead of buying shares back, maybe spend that money in marketing and research and development? Maybe focus on profits through volume with a quality product, a desirable affordable product is an idea?

I don't price myself out of the market for goods and services. I sell value and quality. I'm not looking to retire tomorrow.

Put me in charge of Harley I'd have a manufacturing plant in every state and bikes priced starting at 3k and on up.
Something that attracts younger generations.
Something with a superior warranty.
Something that isn't in the shop more than its on the road.
If all I had to focus on was building and selling motorcycles...

Want a business model to follow?
Look up Palmetto State Armory.

What started out as an online sales store of discounted firearm parts and accessories has turned into a business that is expanding manufacturing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=f3eQGOCHsi4

Don't care what your stance on firearms is, that's how you run a business. Sucessfully. And gainfully employ people.
You're literally making my argument for me...this big tax cut which was sold as something that would juice businesses growth and development and increase wages did none of it. Instead, just as predicted- it resulted in share buybacks. It was argued that only by looking for ways to increase demand would that actually happen. If the law had given a large cut only when businesses expanded/reinvested or hired more workers I'd have been for it-instead what POTUS trumpeted as a huge boon for workers was an ill conceived give away to the C suite.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Not sure why you are upset. This is clearly a troll thread, the OP even admitted that their justification was because Trump supporters give him credit for everything.

So just kick back and grab a handful of poo and start chucking!
I'm not a troll and you have to admit that Trump supporters think he can do no wrong. Just read the responses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies