Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:30 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ5A9e_AYYE

The 10th Amendment has been stomped on for way too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 05:48 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,103,716 times
Bring it. Its long past due

Old 01-30-2018, 05:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ5A9e_AYYE

The 10th Amendment has been stomped on for way too long.
The traditional conservative position on marijuana i.e. pro national prohibition, is out of step with the conservative platform on other issues. You can't champion states rights on things like guns, abortion, minimum wage, and discrimination while promoting national prohibition on cannabis. Unfortunately the religious right and the drive to legislate morality and social norms is a huge part of the GOP base. That is why marijuana remains illegal.

If we want to see legal weed, the Southern Baptist Convention will need to back off its hard prohibitionist stance. Until that happens, we will never see it.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The traditional conservative position on marijuana i.e. pro national prohibition, is out of step with the conservative platform on other issues. You can't champion states rights on things like guns, abortion, minimum wage, and discrimination while promoting national prohibition on cannabis. Unfortunately the religious right and the drive to legislate morality and social norms is a huge part of the GOP base. That is why marijuana remains illegal.

If we want to see legal weed, the Southern Baptist Convention will need to back off its hard prohibitionist stance. Until that happens, we will never see it.
trying to legislate morality is not a party thing, even under Obama, no great strides were made in legalizing marijuana on the federal level, it was under Obama that some of the toughest drug laws went into effect.

Besides that, I doubt the southern Baptists support abortion, but that has remained legal for many years now, despite all their actions, so why would marijuana be any different?

Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,779,430 times
I thought slavery was the gateway for states rights. And it was slammed shut 150 years ago.

This is the problem with states rights. Everyone criticizes them except when they want something the Feds prohibit: Drugs, illegal immigration. Then they think states rights are the Holy Grail.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I thought slavery was the gateway for states rights. And it was slammed shut 150 years ago.

This is the problem with states rights. Everyone criticizes them except when they want something the Feds prohibit: Drugs, illegal immigration. Then they think states rights are the Holy Grail.
According to the constitution, any right not specifically given to the federal government belongs to the states. The federal government conveniently ignores that.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,677,079 times
I'd say legalize it on the federal level and let states decide whether they want it legal or not.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
According to the constitution, any right not specifically given to the federal government belongs to the states. The federal government conveniently ignores that.
It's a bit late to hope for the 10th Amendment. None of the Bill of Rights has survived 250 years intact.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

My flip answer is that the next D Congress will fix it.

But the fact is that the next Congress likely will fix it, D or R. It's coming to a head, and a (bare) majority of registered Rs now think that marijuana should at least be decriminalized. We're very close, I think.

I also think we can expect to see a last-minute enforcement frenzy on the part of some federal prosecutors, now that they've been given the green light by Sessions. I think it will be interesting to see which states this occurs. For instance, I think federal prosecutors in Colorado won't bite - they can read the political tea leaves, and are not likely to invest a lot of time and energy in a prosecution that will likely have to be dropped.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 AM

3,276 posts, read 2,105,433 times
Congress ought to just remove cannabis from the federal drug schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies