Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM

693 posts, read 356,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Your link is about the flu vaccine, it doesn't mention Tamiflu anywhere.
Ops, my bad. I looked it up using wrong key words.

But here, studies do show it reduced death. Seeing as people die from the severe symptoms, then yes, I wouldn't doubt the studies.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...-pandemic-flu/

Of course, other studies show differently, but as I pointed out...Tamiflu is also being given to patients that don't have the flu, so of course, the results will be off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Because there are some people that are at higher risk of the effects of the flu being dangerous. Just look at how many people have died already. Reducing the severity of the flu for these higher risk patients could reduce their chances of......death.
This is year is an average year for flu deaths. It's no different than any other despite the fear-mongering and hysteria promoted by the media and the CDC.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:

But here, studies do show it reduced death. Seeing as people die from the severe symptoms, then yes, I wouldn't doubt the studies.

Of course, other studies show differently, but as I pointed out...Tamiflu is also being given to patients that don't have the flu, so of course, the results will be off.
So the studies were faulty because they gave Tamiflu to people who didn't have the flu? Is that why Roche refuses to release the data?

Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:

I shared this same article earlier in the thread. The studies that show that Tamiflu reduced deaths are not randomised controlled trials which is the gold standard. When reserachers have reviewed all the available randomized, controlled trials on Tamiflu they have found that Tamiflu reduces duration ( less then one full day) but not severity.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This is year is an average year for flu deaths. It's no different than any other despite the fear-mongering and hysteria promoted by the media and the CDC.
That wasn't the point that I was making. The comment was in response to why not just ride it out.

Studies already show reduced deaths in areas where Tamiflu is used. What's the aversion to reduced deaths?
People should be championing addressing why Tamiflu is used for so many people, not why it's used at all.

It works, it's just being over prescribed.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
https://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes....effectiveness/

Roche, the company that makes and profits from Tamiflu has had years to supply data from their clinical trials yet they still have not disclosed it. Why? Does it not support their claims that the drug was approved based upon?
You mean the FDA approved a drug that the CDC now supports 150% ... without ever seeing clinical trial data????

Would be shocking ... except it's not.

People need to start really understanding how these agencies are simply marketing arms for big pharma.

Some drugs are helpful, probably about 25%.

All the rest?? Profits profits profits.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That wasn't the point that I was making. The comment was in response to why not just ride it out.

Studies already show reduced deaths in areas where Tamiflu is used. What's the aversion to reduced deaths?
People should be championing addressing why Tamiflu is used for so many people, not why it's used at all.

It works, it's just being over prescribed.
Do you have a link to any of these studies? I'm curious about the populations studied and how they participants were identified.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I shared this same article earlier in the thread. The studies that show that Tamiflu reduced deaths are not randomised controlled trials which is the gold standard. When reserachers have reviewed all randomized, controlled trials on Tamiflu they have found that Tamiflu reduces duration ( less then one full day) but not severity.
did you not read the article fully??????

Quote:
These studies, however, are not randomised controlled trials, the gold standard, in which people randomly get placebos or drugs. Tom Jefferson of the Cochrane Collaboration, an international group that assesses medical evidence, looked at Tamiflu in 2012 using all randomised controlled trials for which it could obtain detailed clinical study reports, including regulatory documents, and found that it reduces flu duration, not severity.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a rare rebuttal in response, saying the studies were in otherwise healthy people with mostly mild winter flu, not the older, sicker people who need Tamiflu most. Moreover, there are no randomised controlled trials of people who have pandemic flu. Pandemic viruses replicate for longer in the deep lungs, causing lethal pneumonia.

Tamiflu blocks that replication – hence its apparent effect in Van-Tam’s data. In contrast, an earlier review of Tamiflu trials by Jefferson in 2009 assessed the drug’s impact on secondary bacterial infections, which is not its main use in pandemics

Cochrane's studies are not definitive either.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 AM

Also,

New study shows that those who receive flu vaccines are more likely to spread the flu than those who are unvaccinated. Authors conclude that with additional confirmation, this could impact vaccination policies.

Infectious virus in exhaled breath of symptomatic seasonal influenza cases from a college community
Jing Yan, Michael Grantham, Jovan Pantelic, P. Jacob Bueno de Mesquita, Barbara Albert, Fengjie Liu, Sheryl Ehrman, Donald K. Milton and EMIT Consortium
PNAS 2018; published ahead of print January 18, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1716561115

Infectious virus in exhaled breath of symptomatic seasonal influenza cases from a college community | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Excerpts:

Self-reported vaccination for the current season was associated with a trend (P < 0.10) toward higher viral shedding in fine-aerosol samples; vaccination with both the current and previous year’s seasonal vaccines, however, was significantly associated with greater fine-aerosol shedding in unadjusted and adjusted models (P < 0.01).

In adjusted models, we observed 6.3 (95% CI 1.9–21.5) times more aerosol shedding among cases with vaccination in the current and previous season compared with having no vaccination in those two seasons

Vaccination was not associated with coarse-aerosol or NP shedding (P > 0.10). The association of vaccination and shedding was significant for influenza A (P = 0.03) but not for influenza B (P = 0.83) infections (Table S4).

The association of current and prior year vaccination with increased shedding of influenza A might lead one to speculate that certain types of prior immunity promote lung inflammation, airway closure, and aerosol generation. This first observation of the phenomenon needs confirmation. If confirmed, this observation, together with recent literature suggesting reduced protection with annual vaccination, would have implications for influenza vaccination recommendations and policies.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
did you not read the article fully??????

Cochrane's studies are not definitive either.
I read it all. I'm not seeing any proof that Tamiflu reduces severity in this article. The Cochrane Collaboration performed a review of available literature. They asked for Roche to release the clinical trials yet we're still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies