Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
People kept saying dump truck or trash truck, but it looked like an eighteen wheeler to me. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard they tried to beat the train. That doesn't seem very realistic to me though.
As for a vehicle trying to beat a train, that is all too common.

https://oli.org/about-us/news/collisions-casualties

The chart shows that in 1981, 728 people died in 'highway-rail' accidents. With improved safety measures, it has dropped to 265 as of 2016.

I have always taken an interest in this topic, since my father, during his life, was an attorney that represented several railroads here in Texas.

One case I recall in particular concerned a couple of 'good ol boys' in a pick up, out for a night of drinking. They decided to leave the road, cross a field, and climb the embankment of a rail line, where they parked and drank, apparently, until they passed out. A train came along and killed them. The families sued the railroad.

There was a jury trial. The families lost.

Anyway, with the years more safety measures (lights, barriers, etc) have been put up at crossings. Yet, you always have the jokers that think they can 'beat the train'. We have our share here in Fort Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Ok, let's hear your criticism of Trump.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b08cb14094fe87
Yes, he deserves to be criticized .

Let's start a new thread about him. I will be there.

I already said, two wrongs don't make one right.

I think you are just getting desperate. I don't respect posters like you.

ps are you saying because Trump made fun of somebody, this person should be excused? or are you saying because this person made fun of a train accident, Trump should be excused?
what is it?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Mocking someone with disabilities was labeled snowflaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
When, where, was this?
i, too would like to know this.

preparing popcorn now.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Mocking someone with disabilities was labeled snowflaking. Bragging about sexual assault (grab them by the P----) was labeled snowflaking. Both were done by then Presidential Candidate.

Were they trivial? Or are you just cherry-picking rage when it fits your agenda.

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project

(I am going with 1 & 3 for this instance)
I'm neither a Trump fan nor voter.

I have no "rage" over this, that's for the far left and right idiots.

If you can't handle the fact that this does not fit the commonly accepted definition of snowflaking, which I logically explained earlier, then I cannot help you further.

I have no doubt that the term "snowflake" has been misused by people on the far right as well.

The fact that you're trying to give this guy a pass because someone else also said something rude or low is pretty much second grader.

Your attempt to label me as a Trump supporter with an agenda for a logical explanation of snowflaking is equally second grader. If you cannot contribute to an adult conversation without such cheap gimmicks I'll just eventually put you on the ignore list along with some of the other deep thinking far right and far left posters here that offer nothing but incoherent partisan vomit to the threads.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

If you can't handle the fact that this does not fit the commonly accepted definition of snowflaking, which I logically explained earlier, then I cannot help you further.

I have no doubt that the term "snowflake" has been misused by people on the far right as well.

The fact that you're trying to give this guy a pass because someone else also said something rude or low is pretty much second grader.

Your attempt to label me as a Trump supporter with an agenda for a logical explanation of snowflaking is equally second grader. If you cannot contribute to an adult conversation without such cheap gimmicks I'll just eventually put you on the ignore list along with some of the other deep thinking far right and far left posters here that offer nothing but incoherent partisan vomit to the threads.
Getting caught being a hypocrite seems to have made you a bit upset. Tossing out personal insults and threatening to put someone on ignore will not cover up the fact that you have an obvious partisan agenda and can't handle being called out on it. Nobody buys your holier than thou BS.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:

I'm not giving him a pass at all, I'm saying the entire thing is rediculous. The discussion is about how CNN should fire him on the spot. He doesn't even work at CNN. That SHOULD be the end of this discussion, but of course, it isn't. I'm saying that he did not mock anyone for being killed, he mocked the metaphor of a bunch of politicians being in a trainwreck, going off the rails, and that it was into a garbage truck. That does not need to be justified either. That he was mocking dead people is projection at best. If he was, I would not defend it.

As for the "mocking disabled, and people being called snowflakes" that everyone is popping their popcorn for:
Don't play stupid or naive. Trump mocked the reporter. some of his supporters tried to deny it ever happened, even though there is video of it. Some people tried to justify that he didn't know the reporter was disabled, even though there was evidence they had met in person. Then when that failed, people here on this forum, and just about everywhere started calling anyone offended by Trump's actions related to that instance a snowflake. I tried to do a search, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of threads on this forum that come up in a search for "snowflake" (that should be hint #1).

But if you are going to deny that Trump Supporters have called his non-supporters snowflakes at every juncture, INCLUDING the example I have given, then I'll just have to let you go on saying that. It would be par for the course, denying something that happened, and can be proven in black and white. but I have a job, and need to work, so I'm not taking the time to argue on the www. Believe me, or don't. It happened. (If anyone has more time, I'm sure you can dig up the quotes.)

Old 02-01-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:

The pink bold is really the bottom line.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

Quote:
But if you are going to deny that Trump Supporters have called his non-supporters snowflakes at every juncture, INCLUDING the example I have given, then I'll just have to let you go on saying that. It would be par for the course, denying something that happened,
You really need to read more slowly because it sure doesn't look to me that I was denying the far rights misuse of "snowflake".

Heck, the far right pretty much coined the term.....just like the far left coined the term "fake news" (except they used the term "faux")

The irony being that with any partisan weapon, the other side tends to gleefully pick it up and start swinging it just like the other did....while calling each other hypocrites.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Actually you did. You commented on it further up this page.

To have rage on the things you just cited, and especially given the reasons you gave, it is cherry-picking.

How is mocking a disabled reporter, or bragging about sexual assault "about human decency"? The only explanation is that you are cherry picking rage.

The reporter's joke did not even mention deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but to characterize it as joking about death is disingenuous. He was joking about the metaphor of a train of politicians running into a garbage truck. About "trainwreck" and "going off the rails" and "garbage". I made the same joke yesterday BEFORE it was reported about the deaths. It may have been in poor taste, but I could not have even been joking about that if I wanted to, it was not known at the time.

And to top it all off, the mindless drivel of this post, trying to vilify CNN for a guy who is not on their staff. Maybe you should vilify Fox, I heard the had Hillary on once.....
How did I cherry pick rage?

I said

Trump deserves to be criticized.

How is that cherry pick rage?

stop your garbage already!

Saying two wrongs don't make one right is cherry pick rage? In whose world this is cherry pick rage?!

I said

If Trump made fun of an accident or somebody's death, he should be criticized as well.

No double standard.
I used "an accident" as an example because this particular thread is about an accident! sheesh!

In whose world, that is the definition of cherry picking rage.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not giving him a pass at all, I'm saying the entire thing is rediculous. The discussion is about how CNN should fire him on the spot. He doesn't even work at CNN. That SHOULD be the end of this discussion, but of course, it isn't. I'm saying that he did not mock anyone for being killed, he mocked the metaphor of a bunch of politicians being in a trainwreck, going off the rails, and that it was into a garbage truck. That does not need to be justified either. That he was mocking dead people is projection at best. If he was, I would not defend it.

As for the "mocking disabled, and people being called snowflakes" that everyone is popping their popcorn for:
Don't play stupid or naive. Trump mocked the reporter. some of his supporters tried to deny it ever happened, even though there is video of it. Some people tried to justify that he didn't know the reporter was disabled, even though there was evidence they had met in person. Then when that failed, people here on this forum, and just about everywhere started calling anyone offended by Trump's actions related to that instance a snowflake. I tried to do a search, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of threads on this forum that come up in a search for "snowflake" (that should be hint #1).

But if you are going to deny that Trump Supporters have called his non-supporters snowflakes at every juncture, INCLUDING the example I have given, then I'll just have to let you go on saying that. It would be par for the course, denying something that happened, and can be proven in black and white. but I have a job, and need to work, so I'm not taking the time to argue on the www. Believe me, or don't. It happened. (If anyone has more time, I'm sure you can dig up the quotes.)
well, some people simply point out the fact that it is very low to make fun of a train accident. No more no less.

Two wrongs don't make one right. sheesh! Keep it simple already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies