Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok. Find something were an actual feminist group complained and pressured formula 1 into ending the grid girls.

Still waiting
"A leading voice campaigning for gender equality in sport"
For me it's a feminist group.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Actually I think money has a lot more to do with it. Formula 1 is not in good financial shape. Liberty Media took over this last year and this has seen as a politically correct maneuver that also saves them money.

I’d rather see more small teams being able to enter the sport than grid girls. I think most F1 fans would agree. They need to start cost cutting measures and make the sport more viable to teams that don’t have massive funding. So... in reality I think it had more to do with $$$ than brand image.
You could be right. I know very little about Formula 1 racing. But I've been saying all along that it was a business decision, and not, as the OP contends, the fault of feminists.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
"A leading voice campaigning for gender equality in sport"
For me it's a feminist group.
Or maybe it’s women who are trying to enter the sport. When it comes to actual team positions it is an overwhelmingly male dominated industry. Susie Wolff, a well respected driver and former employee with the Williams F1 team, made it clear that whole grid girls didn’t offend her she also feels this is a step in the right direction. Another commentator in F1 pointed out that the sport should start trying to attract women who work on teams and within racing instead of just modeling. This isn’t a bad thing. The sport could use more women in positions that actually engage in the sport.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:19 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You could be right. I know very little about Formula 1 racing. But I've been saying all along that it was a business decision, and not, as the OP contends, the fault of feminists.
The statement said it was about updating their brand and societal norms. It can be a business decision due to general SJW social agenda and pressure.

It is apparent on this thread that some are happy the ladies will no longer have their jobs. That is certainly not supportive of women, it is divisive. Why not support their sisters? Since when do feminists care about corporate dollars before their pro-female agenda. Support your sisters.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 262 times
Default Private Investigator Atlanta

Atlanta's Top Rated Local Private Investigator Atlanta - [url=http://privateinvestigatoratlanta.net/]PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR ATLANTA[/url]- Offering Confidential & Discreet Private Investigator Atlanta, Investigative Services, Private Investigator Atlanta, Atlanta PI. Private Detectives Atlanta. Open 24/7 Call (770) 500-6461 PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR ATLANTA.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I've been talking with my husband and dad about it, we all watch F1. This isn't as nearly as shocking as some of the people here may think. F1 has already had issues with grid girls. It races in countries where women don't have nearly the level of freedom they do here. I believe it was just a couple years ago that they got in trouble because one of the racers who landed on the podium proceeded to spray the girls on the podium with champagne. For the country they were in - this was a HUGE deal and really pissed off the modeling agency and locals. This caused them to remove the girls from the podium beyond delivering hats, microphones, etc. However they would just hand them to the racers and walk off.

Even then, there was an issue at one of the races this year where we got an eyeful of cheek as a skirt blew up in the wind. Not complaining, it just happened.

Anyway, considering the global nature of Formula 1 as well as the costs and financial issues it's facing, this really does seem to be more of a business decision.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The statement said it was about updating their brand and societal norms. It can be a business decision due to general SJW social agenda and pressure.

It is apparent on this thread that some are happy the ladies will no longer have their jobs. That is certainly not supportive of women, it is divisive. Why not support their sisters? Since when do feminists care about corporate dollars before their pro-female agenda. Support your sisters.
The statement could be nothing more than a cover for saving money. The cover makes them look good as they seem to be supporting a more "female forward" attitude while at the same time saving themselves cash from having to hire models at every race in every country.

And as I noted above, this isn't just a simple issue of models. Formula 1 hires models from the country which they're racing in. They race in North America, South America, Asia, and Europe. There are races in countries where women are typically not even allowed to model. They've had issues with drivers behaving inappropriately for models according to local traditions and views of women. This isn't a simple "we're updating our brand" even if that's what they said. As any viewer of Formula 1 can tell you, there was likely multiple facets that went into this decision and the reason they gave was a simple one that was more reflective of modern views on women.

As for the ladies who "lost their jobs", this was one weekend a year. This won't make much of a dent in their pocketbooks as it wasn't a regular gig.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
What women wear for tennis or beach volley ball is OK but the grid girls are 'scantily clad'?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:15 PM

One thing has become abundantly clear to me in this post. I’m interested in politics and have watched Formula 1 for years. The conservative members in this group have turned this decision by Liberty Media into a feminist issue. I’ve pointed out several factors that point to it being more aligned with a business decision as well as the reactions from some people actually involved in the sport outside of modeling. However everything I’ve said has been neglected by people who don’t actually follow F1 in order to further purport an idea that this is a feminist ploy...

You know nothing about the actual topic at hand yet now all of the sudden you’re all experts? Meanwhile those who actually love F1 year round and not just when they model at the gig or have a political motivation must know more??

Nope. Most of you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about:

Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 AM

272 posts, read 217,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
One thing has become abundantly clear to me in this post. I’m interested in politics and have watched Formula 1 for years. The conservative members in this group have turned this decision by Liberty Media into a feminist issue. I’ve pointed out several factors that point to it being more aligned with a business decision as well as the reactions from some people actually involved in the sport outside of modeling. However everything I’ve said has been neglected by people who don’t actually follow F1 in order to further purport an idea that this is a feminist ploy...

You know nothing about the actual topic at hand yet now all of the sudden you’re all experts? Meanwhile those who actually love F1 year round and not just when they model at the gig or have a political motivation must know more??

Nope. Most of you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about:
And what about the actual F1 grid girls saying the same thing? They actually work it so are you calling them liars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies