Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Do you need someone to fill 56784 pages of police reports pertaining to alcohol...( maybe just in one month)?

Your scare tactics are no longer working on smart people.
You can site all the shark attacks you want. I still swim in the ocean.
Not a scare tactic at all and no, I'm fully aware of all the "ills" of alcohol. My question is "why do we need to add another drug to the legal mix?" Answer THAT question.

Medical MJ I am fully behind but full legalization just to fill the tax man's coffers and to please those who just can't seem to get through the day based in reality?
Not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
I know quite a good number of people on the "RIGHT" who enjoy the devil's weed.
This is not a partisan thing

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If these reefer madness folks press their case too hard we may have to look at making alcohol illegal again. The more you look in to it the more dangerous it seems to be. If we're going to make criminals out of and deny employment opportunities to people using a substance it might make more sense if that substance was alcohol instead of marijuana.
I think the big difference between alcohol and marijuana is the cultural stigma each one has. Alcohol is very widely used in moderation and has been a part of white culture for thousands of years. Marijuana on the other hand has historically been less prevalent among white people and more prevalent among African-Americans (this is a big reason why it was banned in the first place). Add to that the fact that it invokes images of Woodstock, Cheech & Chong, Snoop Dogg, etc, all things conservatives hate, and it's easy to see why there is such a resistance to legalization. I doubt you'll be able to buy legal herb in Oklahoma before 2050. Tobacco may be more dangerous, but what image does the Marlboro Man invoke? The free-spirited all-American cowboy. Conservatives love that.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sessions is stupid for not just letting this one go. maybe sanity will prevail eventually.
Yea, when you and I agree it truly is a bi partisan issue. In the end, Jeff Sessions will make legalization more likely, he is forcing the industry to validate their existence, and they are.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The state collects tax money from the sales, cops can spend their time on actual criminals, and society benefits. No idea why our government keeps trying to push this anti-MJ agenda any further. It's a losing battle at this point.
I watch a show called Live PD and am amazed at how many people are stopped for driving violations and the number of them that have been smoking pot in their cars.

When the car a re searched a LOT of them also have illegal hard drugs with them.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty stupid article.
Obviously written by a stoner, when he wasn't thinking clearly.

Here are some actual facts:
133% leap in children admitted to ER for marijuana, study finds - CNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Most pot users are complete losers. Vast majority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The sad thing is that marijuana addicts actually believe this stuff.
The dinosaurs shriek.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Police: 5 students treated after eating edible marijuana at Goodyear school
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ol/1080734001/

Laced gummy bears send Ill. high school kids to the hospital
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/laced-g...-the-hospital/

News outlets in Indiana report 11 teenagers were hospitalized after ingesting gummy candy laced with THC–the active ingredient in marijuana. One teen reportedly complained of rapid heartbeat, leg pain, and blurry vision.
https://familycouncil.org/?p=15071
Ibuprofen is estimated to cause at least 16,000 deaths per year and send 100,000 people to the emergency room in the U.S.
https://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/...out-ibuprofen/

Death by Caffeine Overdose Isn't as Uncommon as You'd Think
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...-as-youd-think

Nyquil kills 400 people each year
Nyquil is deadly - BabyGaga

Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Not a scare tactic at all and no, I'm fully aware of all the "ills" of alcohol. My question is "why do we need to add another drug to the legal mix?" Answer THAT question.

Medical MJ I am fully behind but full legalization just to fill the tax man's coffers and to please those who just can't seem to get through the day based in reality?
Not so much...
Why should people be made in to criminals and denied employment opportunities because of a substance that is less dangerous than alcohol by far? Maybe that's the question to ask. If we're only going to allow one legal substance(which makes no sense to begin with) it ought to be the less dangerous one not the more dangerous one. People drinking booze aren't getting through the day based on reality either, so that unnecessary insult isn't even a salient point, unless you are advocating bringing back alcohol prohibition.

People will fight tooth and nail if you try to take away their beer while at the same time accusing people who want to smoke a little weed of being losers who can't handle reality. It's nuts.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ibuprofen is estimated to cause at least 16,000 deaths per year and send 100,000 people to the emergency room in the U.S.
https://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/...out-ibuprofen/

Death by Caffeine Overdose Isn't as Uncommon as You'd Think
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...-as-youd-think

Nyquil kills 400 people each year
Nyquil is deadly - BabyGaga
Of course, most people on this forum would cry "leftism" at any attempt to ban those substances. Yet, the same logic, that the government is there to protect people from themselves, is used for marijuana and conservatives are all for that.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:38 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:

Not so much...
Wow.

How about:

All the lives that are lost fighting it.
All the lives and careers ruined because of draconian punishments for even possessing it.
All the families torn apart by children being stripped away from their parents because a small amount was found in the home.
All the houses and cars forfeited from normal, everyday citizens, and the law enforcement corruption which it breeds.
All the funding to south of the border drug cartels that prohibition funnels to them.
All of the glamour that cannabis holds to kids because of its illegality. That causes it to be for sale in your neighborhood school right now, for goodness sake. Illegal alcohol is not for sale in your neighborhood school.

I could go on and on about the ills to society that prohibition directly causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies