Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

I want to read the FISA warrant itself.

NYT has requested the FISA court unseal it.

I hope they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:21 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I hope they do.
Same. FISA Warrant(s), minority memo, and any other info relevant to the court proceedings to obtain the warrant.

With all the information in front of us, we can make up our own minds as to whether anything illegal or inappropriate went down, without the spin of biased politician memos.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
from what i've seen so far the standard of proof in obtaining a FISA warrant is "probable cause", the lowest legal standard.
I've repeatedly heard that 99.8% of FISA apps are granted, I'd like to see the process and actual,real,verifiable proof that those are indeed the correct stats.

If that stat holds true then either the U.S. has the smartest, most detail oriented, always correct legal eagles in the world today or, there's a whole lot of "benefit of the doubt" and belief in "good faith submissions" going on.
If it's the latter (my guess because NOBODY is that good) and not the former something is seriously wrong with the system.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've repeatedly heard that 99.8% of FISA apps are granted, I'd like to see the process and actual,real,verifiable proof that those are indeed the correct stats.

If that stat holds true then either the U.S. has the smartest, most detail oriented, always correct legal eagles in the world today or, there's a whole lot of "benefit of the doubt" and belief in "good faith submissions" going on.
If it's the latter (my guess because NOBODY is that good) and not the former something is seriously wrong with the system.
If Nunes believed the system actually had problems, he could have easily addressed them before renewing FISA a month ago. He did not.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I have not see the story on Page working for the FBI anywhere except the CTH and some of the other right wing sites, these are not credible news sources these are bloggers. If this story was true every credible newspaper would carry it.
In today's atmosphere you do realize how ridiculous that statement <bold> is right?
Today's media is just as, if not more polarized as the American public is...

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I hope they do.
A lot of people do. I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY the FBI asserted Carter Page was a foreign agent when he was their own under cover employee. Without the FISA warrant based on that assertion, none of the other info collected is valid. It's all fruit of the poisonous tree (legal concept). Were they really that incompetent? Or were they lying out their asses and figured they'd get away with it because everyone was "so sure" Hillary would win, and they could just sweep this under the rug during her Admin?

Page is UCE-1 (Under Cover Employee). Here's a snip:

Quote:
"The FBI obtained the recordings after Sporyshev attempted to recruit an FBI undercover employee (“UCE-1”), who was posing as an analyst from a New York-based energy company. In response to requests from Sporyshev, UCE-1 provided Sporyshev with binders containing purported industry analysis written by UCE-1 and supporting documentation relating to UCE-1’s reports, as well as covertly placed recording devices."
Read the whole thing:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...onspiracy-work

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If Nunes believed the system actually had problems, he could have easily addressed them before renewing FISA a month ago. He did not.
Maybe and maybe not. He's NOT the only person who controls what happens with FISA. Maybe he is hoping this whole saga that's playing out will highlight any issues or maybe.......

There's so many things the public doesn't know that it SHOULD know unless one is just fine with the idea of a KGB style political enforcement arm existing.

It shouldn't be a shock to anyone or even debatable that people with a whole lot of power can/
will push the limits as much as they're allowed to and do as much as they can get away with. Human nature...

Old 02-07-2018, 07:49 AM

26,573 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That wasn't the question. Again... Was FISC told that the dossier info was unverified? Is there a footnote on that somewhere?
that's assuming the part of the dossier submitted wasn't verified.

hopefully we'll see what part of the dossier was submitted in the schiff memo ( which is in front of trump now ).

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
In today's atmosphere you do realize how ridiculous that statement <bold> is right?
Today's media is just as, if not more polarized as the American public is...
That’s where we part ways, I actually beleve the media, I know they have made some mistakes but overall they are a critical part of our democracy. This belief in people like Alex Jones and the Conservative Tree House is anew phenomena, it amounts to little more than finding a source that reinforces your beliefs. Pizzagate is a perfect example, look at some of the sources people are using on this thread.

People like Chris Wallace on Fox is not much polarized from Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC, Sean Hannity is quite another story.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A lot of people do. I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY the FBI asserted Carter Page was a foreign agent when he was their own under cover employee. Without the FISA warrant based on that assertion, none of the other info collected is valid. It's all fruit of the poisonous tree (legal concept). Were they really that incompetent? Or were they lying out their asses and figured they'd get away with it because everyone was "so sure" Hillary would win, and they could just sweep this under the rug during her Admin?

Page is UCE-1 (Under Cover Employee). Here's a snip:
Quote:
"The FBI obtained the recordings after Sporyshev attempted to recruit an FBI undercover employee (“UCE-1”), who was posing as an analyst from a New York-based energy company. In response to requests from Sporyshev, UCE-1 provided Sporyshev with binders containing purported industry analysis written by UCE-1 and supporting documentation relating to UCE-1’s reports, as well as covertly placed recording devices."
Read the whole thing:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...onspiracy-work
Here's the NY Times version:

Quote:
"According to court documents filed in 2015, the FBI secretly recorded Mr. Podobnyy and another Russian operative named Igor Sporyshev discussing efforts to recruit Mr. Page, who was then working in New York as a consultant.

To record their conversations, the FBI inserted a listening device into binders that were passed to the Russian intelligence operatives during an energy conference, according to a former United States intelligence official. The Russians then took the binders into a secure room where they thought they could evade American intelligence eavesdropping attempts."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/u...mp-russia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies