Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 11:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
It took me literally less than 3 seconds to google this. Come on.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...rebuttal-memo/
Yeah, sure. No partisan spin in that response at all is there? First off was he using the "royal" we or "we" as in the whole committee that voted or?

Considering everything that Schiff has said so far with respect to both memos I tend to only believe about 1/10th of what is said...
IF in fact the Schiff memo contains processes and sources that are really meant to be kept secret why would he/they put them in there other than to play games?

I think the Schiff memo should be released as written with NO redactions at all and if it compromises anything secret or sensitive then it's on the person/people who wrote it as they know better, let THEM pay the price...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM

57,213 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The article stated that Trump may make redactions. The president won't be the one making redactions, it would be the FBI/DOJ making the redactions, it's their classified information.

It's already been reported that Schiff put things in his memo that would reveal sources, and methods.

If that is true, it would be more games by Schiff.
Trump stated he would approve the Nunes memo before he even read it, I don’t expect redactions from him.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huh? That document does not mention FISA or FISC so what the heck are you even trying to claim here. #14 lists the methods that were used by the FBI to investigate this particular case. It is not a list of 'what is allowed'. If you want to know what is allowed with a FISA warrant, go read the applicable law rather than making strange assumptions that were arrived at by the conspiracy nuts at conservative treehouse
The Buryakov Title 1 FISA Warrant is the one Carter Page got swept up in by incidental contact in 2013.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The Buryakov Title 1 FISA Warrant is the one Carter Page got swept up in by incidental contact in 2013.
Oh man are you lost. Try rereading EveryLady's posts again a few times to see if it sinks in. Maybe ask a friend to help you.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 02-07-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 02:08 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,091,770 times
Quote:
It took me literally less than 3 seconds to google this. Come on.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...rebuttal-memo/
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
thank you.
No, wrecking ball said congress voted to release the memo un-redacted.

Wrecking ball was making up false claims, Congress can't declassify information that belongs to the executive branch.

Information about the FISA application belongs to the DOJ, congress can't vote to release that information un-redacted.

The House Intel Committe voted to send the memo to the executive branch for declassification.

The DOJ will decide if the information in Schiff's memo needs to be redacted, just like they did with the Nunes memo.

We already covered all of this with the Nunes memo, that went through the same process.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No, wrecking ball said congress voted to release the memo un-redacted.

Wrecking ball was making up false claims, Congress can't declassify information that belongs to the executive branch.

Information about the FISA application belongs to the DOJ, congress can't vote to release that information un-redacted.

The House Intel Committe voted to send the memo to the executive branch for declassification.

The DOJ will decide if the information in Schiff's memo needs to be redacted, just like they did with the Nunes memo.

We already covered all of this with the Nunes memo, that went through the same process.
Process:

(1) Intel committee votes to declassify memo.
(2) Intel committee sends document to executive branch (can be redacted or unredacted, and in this case is the latter)
(3) DOJ/FBI weigh in on anything to be redacted
(4) Executive branch chooses what to redaced (this can go beyond DOJ/FBI recommendations)

Schiff stated that he is concerned Step 4 will go beyond DOJ/FBI recommendations and include politically motivated redaction.

This isnt hard.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Oh man are you lost. Try rereading EveryLady's posts again a few times to see if it sinks in. Maybe as a friend to help you.
From reading the above posts, my take is that so far this is the most complete:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Excuse me? Carter Page's warrant was a Title I warrant, they are the only ones that go before a judge, 702 is warrantless surveillance and can information can only be gathered on a US Citizen if it is incidental to the foreign target of the investigation.

You should find a source other than conservative treehouse, they are way off base on this one, they also claim that the government used title I so they could retroactively surveil Carter Page which is not allowed for more than 7 days and even then only in exceptional circumstances. 7 days would not allow them to surveil Trump since a full month had elapsed between the time the Page FISA warrant was obtained and his termination from the campaign.
Like you (Huh?), I was confused by some of the other posts (not sure of the relevance) or couldn't match the assertions made to a description of the statute (online law book).

But I'm not an attorney nor familiar with the statute so I won't comment further. Still, from what I've seen so far the FBI use of the FISA statute does not appear to fit the conspiracy theory narratives that have been raised.

Plus, it's not surprising that Conservative Tree House has taken up the call - as for it's readers, there I'd not want to even put trust a seemingly simple "statement of fact." As one poster puts it (wrong context, but you get the point): poisonous fruit of the tree.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Process:

(1) Intel committee votes to declassify memo.
(2) Intel committee sends document to executive branch (can be redacted or unredacted, and in this case is the latter)
(3) DOJ/FBI weigh in on anything to be redacted
(4) Executive branch chooses what to redaced (this can go beyond DOJ/FBI recommendations)

Schiff stated that he is concerned Step 4 will go beyond DOJ/FBI recommendations and include politically motivated redaction.

This isnt hard.
I know the process, I was pointing out that Wrecking Ball made up a claim about an imaginary vote by congress to release the memo un-redacted.

It has already been reported that Schiff intentionally put in information that would reveal sources, and methods so his memo would be redacted. Schiff will surly whine about his memo being redacted, and claim the redactions were to stop him from proving Nunes memo wrong.

Schiff has lied from the start about Nune's memo, this sure looks like more games being played.

It doesn't matter, the investigation is moving forward, and Schiff can't stop the truth from coming out.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I know the process, I was pointing out that Wrecking Ball made up a claim about an imaginary vote by congress to release the memo un-redacted.

It has already been reported that Schiff intentionally put in information that would reveal sources, and methods so his memo would be redacted. Schiff will surly whine about his memo being redacted, and claim the redactions were to stop him from proving Nunes memo wrong.

Schiff has lied from the start about Nune's memo, this sure looks like more games being played.

It doesn't matter, the investigation is moving forward, and Schiff can't stop the truth from coming out.
Schiff specifically said he was fine with redaction for National Security reasons but didn't want politically-motivated reactions. It was quite clear from the article that you obviously didn't read.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Schiff specifically said he was fine with redaction for National Security reasons but didn't want politically-motivated reactions. It was quite clear from the article that you obviously didn't read.
I'm going on Schiff's past, he has lied about this issue from the start.

Why wouldn't Schiff write his memo to be released without redactions like the Nunes memo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies