Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times

Advertisements

From the Washington Post:
Quote:
Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing
By Dana Milbank Opinion writer January 31 at 5:02 PM Email the author

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but the Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing.

I take a back seat to nobody in decrying President Trump’s cynical and divisive performance. He repeatedly exploited Americans’ divisions on race, guns, God, immigration — anything to distract from the broken promises, vulgarity and worse that define his presidency.

But the Democrats, with their childish protests, took the bait. Symbolic dissent is fine, but this was a cacophony of causes: black clothing (for #MeToo), kente ties and sashes (because of Trump’s Africa insult), butterfly stickers (for the “dreamers”), red buttons (for a victim of racial crime) and the more bipartisan purple ribbons (for the opioid epidemic).

Worse, dozens of Democrats refused to stand when the president entered the House chamber, forgetting that one stands out of respect for the office, not the officeholder. Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) grabbed a middle-aisle seat only to turn his back on the president when he walked past. Democrats groaned, scoffed, heckled and made lemon-biting faces. Others simply boycotted. In short, they did the same sort of things they (and I) denounced Republican lawmakers for when they did them to President Barack Obama.

{more at the link....}
The Dems and their hand-puppets in the media have the volume of their racial animus and name calling turned up absolutely full blast. There is no way to make it louder. They are mad, yes very mad. They were glowering and pouting during the SOTU to make their point. They did not stand up to clap even news of low unemployment among minorities or the suggestion of a huge infrastructure bill, because they want everyone to know how angry and how offended they are.

Of course they are also hurling racial epithets indiscriminately and in an incredibly irresponsible manner, as is their standard practice, which some people who are not generally not all that interested in politics are seeing for the first time in connection with the aftermath of this SOTU speech.

It isn't working and they know it. The race card playing is being almost entirely ignored and nobody except the most unhinged leftist wingnuts are putting any stock in it. The anger is coming across for exactly what it is, the acting out of a large group of petulant children.

This is a very bad look for the Democrats.

Seriously, this speech is when Donald Trump was accepted as president by all but the most marginal opponents of Donald Trump. It is also the moment when the Democrat left discredited themselves with their shark-jumping display of excessive contempt for President Trump.

For reference purposes so we can look back on this moment later, this is when it happened. This was when Trump was legitimized as the President of the United States, with a big assist from the Dems and their petulant conduct on worldwide television.

January 30, 2018. Remember that date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
poor dana can't get 10 consecutive words out his mouth without crying about trump first.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:50 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
The left reminds me of spoiled children pouting because their lollipop was taken away.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I'm so happy to not be a part of the Demonic Rat party....that display was sad.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
So long as BOTH parties have a core clientele of shallow-thinkers who see the expansion of government's legal monopoly on force and coercion to the their way at the expense of the other side, there can be very little progress.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing
Time heals. One day you will no longer feel embarrassed.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Time heals. One day you will no longer feel embarrassed.
You are directing that comment to Dana Milbank at the Washington Post, I take it.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I do not understand why anyone believes that any more than maybe a handful of them deserve any respect. (this includes both parties).

I understand the "respect the office" argument but when those who hold the offices do not respect the office, I should?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You are directing that comment to Dana Milbank at the Washington Post, I take it.
This is your thread, so it was for you.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I have no problem with Congressmembers not applauding for policy issues they disagree with. The Republicans do this when Democratic presidents speak. But much of what Trump said was pretty generically patriotic. To not applaud for those things only makes you look bad. I’m guessing that Democrats were given orders not to applaude for anything, and they took it literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies