Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,814,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
This is usually only seen in state adoptions (ie foster care system) or in children that have a disability.
You get it regardless if they are disabled, but you are correct.. Its only if your adopting children from the government, not privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,192,176 times
anyone know the logic to why adopted kids get medicaid up to the age of 18? Regardless of earnings of adopted parents.

I have an adopted daughter and I can assure you that this is not the case at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
anyone know the logic to why adopted kids get medicaid up to the age of 18? Regardless of earnings of adopted parents.

I have an adopted daughter and I can assure you that this is not the case at all.
If you adopted after 1997, and did your adoption through the government, not private adoption, then you should have been offer insurance. Some choose to take it, others choose not to.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,299,547 times
pghquest

thank you for the clarification!

Do you know the logic as to why?

*edit*

I read what you said about the foster care kids. That I get 100%. I worked in a homeless shelter for teens for awhile and some of those foster kids need all the help they can get. But generally adoption is a more stable and loving environment. When adopted parents are making 75,000 a year or over, kids are still getting the medicaid, i was just trying to understand why.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
pghquest

thank you for the clarification!

Do you know the logic as to why?
Foster children get medical insurance by nature of being a ward of the county/state to which they reside. Foster parents used to hold back on adoption because it was easier/better to foster parent rather then adopt in order to continue to receive financial support and medical. The minute a foster parent adopted, the benefits (i.e. monthly stipend and insurance) dropped and no one wanted adopt and it kept the kids in the system their whole life. (I'm a product of one having been a foster child for 16 years).

This was one incentive to get people to make the move from foster parenting to adoption..

I dont particularly agree with it, but I understand why it exists.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM

^^

ahhh okay, thx.

At the homeless shelter I worked at we had a lot of kids who were foster kids, and when they hit 18 the foster parents would give them the old "nice knowing you but you gotta go" routine. So anything to stop crap like that from happening I am for.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
^^

ahhh okay, thx.

At the homeless shelter I worked at we had a lot of kids who were foster kids, and when they hit 18 the foster parents would give them the old "nice knowing you but you gotta go" routine. So anything to stop crap like that from happening I am for.
My aunt is a foster parent for older children and yes, that was their attitude. She went so far as to request the county to buy christmas presents for the children she had in her home. Drove me nuts that someone in my family had that type of attitude.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Quote:
Lindsey,

yeah man. My wife is a psychologist and some of her patience are adopted and all of them have it. Maybe it is something that was enacted recently? I don't know but ALL her adopted patience have it.
Are these children that were adopted through the foster system or private adoptions. I wonder if that makes a difference or maybe it is just a recent thing.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are these children that were adopted through the foster system or private adoptions. I wonder if that makes a difference or maybe it is just a recent thing.
I asked my wife again and as PG point out, its only the ones adopted via the govt/foster care

Old 03-22-2008, 11:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Quote:
I asked my wife again and as PG point out, its only the ones adopted via the govt/foster care
I saw that after I posted, I was a private adoption and was adopted when I was 3 days old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies