Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Obama was in a position to put many a Wall St. executive in jail for mortgage/foreclosure fraud and for securities violations, yet nobody went to jail. A few paid what for them were pittance fines. The time was ripe to deal with the too big to fail banks and nothing was done.

I agree Trump hasn't tackled Wall St. yet either, but the statute of limitations has run out on the massive fraud that occurred leading up to and then after the 2008 implosion. He can't go after them for those old crimes. Obama basically gave them a "No Go To Jail" card by his inaction.

States like NY & NJ have excessive levels of govt. that do little for the public. Having 4 layers of govt to fund in many jurisdictions (Village, Town, County, State) such as you can find in NY costs a whole lot more than 2 (Town & State). I have a brother in NJ that worked for the County Sheriff's Dept. that was eligible to retire at age 39 with pension and family health benefits for life. NJ has towns that are as small as 1/2 sq. mile or 1 or 2 sq. miles and the taxpayers are funding police depts, Mayor's offices, school systems, highway depts., back office staffs (accounting, licensing, IT etc) for those tiny jurisdictions. I recall reading of one town that tuitions all of its kids to another town for school and the town still somehow has a School Superintendent that doesn't have any schools to oversee. NJ & MA are about the same size and both are very urban states. MA has 14 counties, no County govt. and 351 cities and towns. Same size NJ has 21 counties, with County Govt., and I think 525 cities and towns. I can see some real easy ways to save money without impacting schools and the disabled here.

Trump may have ultimately benefited the people of States like NY & NJ by forcing them to take a look at how they do things.
But you dont answer the question. Why not vote for non-puppets who dont pack their administration with Goldman Sachs and Wall Street fat cats?

We can all find examples of wasteful spending here and there, but we also know that the schools, the elderly and the disabled will face cuts as revenue dry up, so we shouldnt sugar coat it. It will be brutal.

The question we have to ask ourselves is whether we have the guts to vote for a non-puppet candidate who do not take bribe money from the ruling Wall Street class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 04:41 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
I thought ALL of trumps critics didn't have jobs and NEVER paid taxes, relying only on the backs of those hard at work Trumpers( yeah I couldn't keep a straight face either)

Old 02-03-2018, 05:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But you dont answer the question. Why not vote for non-puppets who dont pack their administration with Goldman Sachs and Wall Street fat cats?

We can all find examples of wasteful spending here and there, but we also know that the schools, the elderly and the disabled will face cuts as revenue dry up, so we shouldnt sugar coat it. It will be brutal.

The question we have to ask ourselves is whether we have the guts to vote for a non-puppet candidate who do not take bribe money from the ruling Wall Street class?
NJ doesn’t only elect democrat governors, but when we do, they are former Goldman Sachs executives.

So for us, it is as broken locally as it is nationally.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I will overwhelmingly hit that cap but fair is fair... Liberals are lying aholes who don't ever want to pay their fair share...
Name calling -- really?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
My household income is in the low to mid six figures. I have no issue paying higher taxes than anyone making less than I do and have said as much many times. If my taxes stayed the same or went up and those who make less got a tax cut I'd be fine with it. Since my taxes may be going up so that corporations and those who make more can have the largest benefit, I disagree with it.

For those touting the little bonuses companies are paying out and crediting the tax bill with, I say it's one big publicity stunt to make them look good. 2% of Americans have seen these bonuses. The $1k given out by Home Depot and Walmart were for those who've been there 20 years. None of the loopholes were closed. I was on a con call the other day where they were discussing how corporations will be gaming the system. The tax code was written so hastily and sloppily that they're finding all sorts of new loopholes to exploit. I've worked in corporate America too long I guess.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:25 AM

66 posts, read 31,772 times
the Left doesn't want higher taxes from the "rich"; they want higher taxes from the "Republicans"

Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The liberals that called for higher taxes on the rich only did it so long as they were assured that their shelters would protect them personally.
So, those Dem police makers are not rich? Obama is quite wealthy, so the tax on rich would have hit him personally. Warren Buffet called more taxes on rich.

Quote:
Now that they've lost some of their loopholes they're not real happy.
Are middle class people supposed to be happy with tax hikes? They have bills to pay. Obama and Buffet are not happy about taxing middle class to death either.

I am a middle class small business, and my taxes are going up A LOT. Not a Dem, and not happy.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The people who call for the rich to pay higher taxes are a bunch of phonies.
The corporate controlled republicans call for rich Americans to pay higher taxes.

Trumps tax cuts lower the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%.
Thankfully, GOP tax plan retains bold corporate rate cut | TheHill

And Trumps tax cuts keep CEO's personal income taxed at 15%-20% (CEO's pay taxes by capital gains.)
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-f...for-dividends/

And Trumps tax cuts give non-CEO millionaires 37% tax rates.
https://www.thebalance.com/trump-s-t...ts-you-4113968

Large corporation- 20% tax rate
CEO- 15%-20% tax rate
Non-CEO millionaire- 37% tax rate

Republicans tax non-CEO millionaires at nearly 2x the tax rate as CEO's and large corporations.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The corporate controlled republicans call for rich Americans to pay higher taxes.

Trumps tax cuts lower the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%.
Thankfully, GOP tax plan retains bold corporate rate cut | TheHill

And Trumps tax cuts keep CEO's personal income taxed at 15%-20% (CEO's pay taxes by capital gains.)
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-f...for-dividends/

And Trumps tax cuts give non-CEO millionaires 37% tax rates.
https://www.thebalance.com/trump-s-t...ts-you-4113968

Large corporation- 20% tax rate
CEO- 15%-20% tax rate
Non-CEO millionaire- 37% tax rate

Republicans tax non-CEO millionaires at nearly 2x the tax rate as CEO's and large corporations.
Not hardly - what millionaire doesn't already shelter his income behind an LLC or via capital gains - both @ 20% or below ?

The only people paying 37% are the highly paid mid and high level corporate employees - rich compared to some but hardly multi-millionaires. If I make $200K/yr and live in Silicon Valley I probably pay 37% tax but I am hardly rich give the COL.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I bet there are a few Republicans that aren't too happy about these changes too. Not only Democrats live in those areas.

You just won't get a Republican on record complaining because that means they have to own that the tax reform isn't all that it should be.
Obviously the point is going right over your head so I'll spell it out for you.

The poor and many in the middle class typically don't have SALT taxes higher than $10k. It's people who can afford big homes and people who live in high tax states (typically run by Democrats) that pay high SALT taxes that will lose out on deducting taxes above $10k.

And now Dems are bitching about not being able to spread their expense to the entire country... uhm but then they claim they want to tax the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies