Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The market has been in bubble territory for a long, long time. Trump's (Mnuchen) intemperate remarks about how wonderful a weak dollar was for the US started the crumble with a surge in t-bills. We shall see if it continues but a correction is inevitable if not an outright crash.
I want T-bills(treasury bills...ie an investment in your own country) to surge

I remember when the 90day T-bill was paying nearly 5%....right now the 29Year is only paying 2.6%...that sucks... I actually INVEST in this wonderful country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:02 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The market has been in bubble territory for a long, long time. Trump's (Mnuchen) intemperate remarks about how wonderful a weak dollar was for the US started the crumble with a surge in t-bills. We shall see if it continues but a correction is inevitable if not an outright crash.
I agree.

A lot of people have been “charging” in anticipation of the tax cuts. People are partying and charging because they’re not thinking. The stock lemmings are going to lose their shirts.

If wages go up anymore, it’s time to protect oneself against inflation. Tariffs are another concern to me. I’m avoiding spending.

I believe corporations are going to use their tax cut money to modernize, automate wherever possible and LAY PEOPLE OFF.

But hey, that’s just me.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It will explode. Thats why we should be paying things down right now instead of this insanity of adding to the debt. Because we need to spend during recessions.

Growth fixes everything.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
If wages go up anymore, it’s time to protect oneself against inflation. Tariffs are another concern to me. I’m avoiding spending.

I believe corporations are going to use their tax cut money to modernize, automate wherever possible and LAY PEOPLE OFF.
- you couldn't be more correct! Are you a mind reader or have you been reading my posts?

This is ALREADY HAPPENING - announced last week - here it is again:
Quote:
Kimberly-Clark to cut up to 5,500 jobs, close 10 plants

Chief Financial Officer Maria Henry said on a conference call that savings from the recent federal tax cut would help fund the cost reductions. It "provides us the flexibility" to do so, she said.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...bs/1057633001/

Oh, the irony. Talk about a perverse consequence.

MAGA

Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Inflation projections heating up, which will cause fed to raise rates more than investors prefer. That is the jitter. We are not yet atcirrection levels, though we could get there. Correction Probably would be beneficial in the long term. Which is the way anyone in the market long term should look at this.

As for national debt, 1.5T is a long, long way from Mr Obama’s ~10T.
Look up the words 'debt' and 'deficit.'

Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Look up the words 'debt' and 'deficit.'
That flew right over his head. You better spell it out.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The stock market took a nosedive today five weeks after the President signed the biggest tax bill in many years. It happened because wages went up 2.9%. The wage report was unexpected and took the financial markets by surprise. Wage push inflation is just another way that inflation becomes a threat to the economy because it raises interest rates.

According to Bloomberg Markets only one of the twelve indicators that indicate a coming recession flashed positive for a recession. What this shows is the skittishness of the stock traders and mutual fund managers. They know that the market is going to go into a dive in the next 18 months because the market looks ahead six months. So it became obvious today that the market is on a hair trigger. We will be lucky on many levels if this is only a correction.

As far as the tax cut is concerned, everyone including the media never asked the question; what will happen to the deficit if there is a recession.
It only took one day for a person to make a negative post against wage increases.

Holy crap you people need to pick a lane and stay in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I want T-bills(treasury bills...ie an investment in your own country) to surge

I remember when the 90day T-bill was paying nearly 5%....right now the 29Year is only paying 2.6%...that sucks... I actually INVEST in this wonderful country
EXACTLY!

I remember 18% home loans and 9% CDs when Carter was large and in charge. Talk about really BAD times. We have a generation who have become used to 0 interest prime as if this is how it has always been. It's about time interest rates started coming back to rational levels. I think a slow rise to 3-4% prime would be about right, while still being quite low historically.

What's bad for investors is great for savers, treasury bills and bonds. These people throwing out this deficit nonsense are overlooking that with every yin there is a yang. Far more people are savers than investors. Savers have been hammered and retirement pools have taken it on the chin with all this low-interest money printing.

ONE DAY and all of sudden the world is coming to an end yet again!

WTH is wrong with some of you people?

Last edited by steven_h; 02-02-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
The stock market took a nosedive today five weeks after the President signed the biggest tax bill in many years. It happened because wages went up 2.9%. The wage report was unexpected and took the financial markets by surprise. Wage push inflation is just another way that inflation becomes a threat to the economy because it raises interest rates.

According to Bloomberg Markets only one of the twelve indicators that indicate a coming recession flashed positive for a recession. What this shows is the skittishness of the stock traders and mutual fund managers. They know that the market is going to go into a dive in the next 18 months because the market looks ahead six months. So it became obvious today that the market is on a hair trigger. We will be lucky on many levels if this is only a correction.

As far as the tax cut is concerned, everyone including the media never asked the question; what will happen to the deficit if there is a recession.
Complete lie. Raising wages does not cause inflation. Just ask the $15 per hour minimum wage advocates. They'll tell you.

On a more serious note, wages are only a part of the reason for the dump. The potential rise in the interest rates is far more worrisome.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
In case you didn't realize it, the middle class part of the tax cut has an expiration date.
Yes it does. In just 8 years the Democrats will be responsible for one of the largest tax increases in history.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In case you didn’t realize, you need to thank Democraps for the expiration date.
The Democrats complained more than once that they had no input to the tax cut bill. Even the Republicans that were not directly involved with the bill's creation didn't see the bill until 4 hours before it was voted on.

Let's not try to rewrite history. The Republicans have controlled at leat the House since 2010. If the deficit explodes it is the GOP who should take the fall for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies