Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
A lot of Americans just assume everyone that everyone with Chinese looking eyes are Chinese. That does not make your post correct.

How about some facts to back up your feelings.
China, Korea, Vietnam, and Japan were all influenced by Confuciansim at some time. Confucianism is not limited to China. The exceptions are the southeast Asia countries such as the Philippines which were never Confucian but people from there are considered Asian American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
The thread starts with a false premise and everybody falls in line to explain it. I have met and known a lot of Indians. Not one has been a Republican.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
That's interesting. I was basing this thread mainly on what seemed to be a trend among wealthy Indian Americans to shift to the right, as well as some high profile Indians in the Trump administration.

I will retract my claim about Indian Americans being more likely to be conservative.
OK well there certainly were some examples of that, there are a couple high profile Indian American Republicans. But the data seems to point towards Indian Americans being more liberal of the Asian group. Asians just seem to be majority liberal and for big government, regulations, and more open borders and can't relate to American heritage, so basically white liberals on the inside. So as you can probably see from a conservative perspective they would be as useless as white liberals are or as useless as teats on a bull. That might be construed by Asians and liberals as racism against Asians, but one could just as easily construe it in the reverse.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:05 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Indian Americans are at home with Republican Party because it is similar to the current ruling part the BJP. They are mostly economic conservatives but social liberals. They have no problems with abortions for instance or even same sex marriage.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
First of all people from India live in the Asian continent. If not Asian what are they?

Second of all. Who is not welcoming the people you describe as Asians? Unlike many other minority groups they don't complain. They simply go to college, work hard and do just fine. Perhaps there is a lesson there to other groups who say things are not fair.

Third. Where are you basing your info on?
The OP is certainly not basing his thread on me!! I am Chinese American and very conservative in my views.

Traditional Chinese people tend to be frugal and live within their means, they have a strong work ethic and consider it shameful to be on welfare or unemployment, and they also consider it shameful to bear children out of wedlock.

So that said, they don't support government giving handouts to unproductive people or unwed mothers. And why would they support helping illegals and DACAs?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The OP is certainly not basing his thread on me!! I am Chinese American and very conservative in my views.

Traditional Chinese people tend to be frugal and live within their means, they have a strong work ethic and consider it shameful to be on welfare or unemployment, and they also consider it shameful to bear children out of wedlock.

So that said, they don't support government giving handouts to unproductive people or unwed mothers. And why would they support helping illegals and DACAs?
It is my understanding that a majority of East Asians had a viewpoint like yours. But the data seems to suggest starting about 25 years ago their voting and viewpoint in majority aligned with white liberals'. It's kind of puzzling.

It's completely counter productive and illogical for conservatives to want more immigration when a majority of them are no better than white liberals on the inside. If we didn't offer full citizenship and voting rights to future immigrants, the liberals would have no use for them either.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Vietnamese are the most conservative Asian group. And that isn't saying much, they still voted almost 70% for Clinton and Obama.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Vietnamese are the most conservative Asian group. And that isn't saying much, they still voted almost 70% for Clinton and Obama.
Useless imported, white liberals of "color" .

Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Asian Americans tend to live in middle to upper middle class urban and suburban areas and have assimilated to the voting patterns of those places. They tend vote Democrat, but then so do their non-Asian neighbors.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
We all had seen Modi got his knees down kissing Trump. That alone does not make Indians more conservative. Trump has a negative view on third world countries like India.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies