Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Argument for and against Pres. Trump to testify in Mueller's investigation.

After understanding the facts around the perjury trap I believe the only safe action to protect ones self is to take the fifth. Its not an admission of guilt and is the only protection from a aggressive prosecutor who needs a conviction for something/anything to claim success.

The only way anyone could avoid a perjury trap is to have perfect recall of events that happened a year or more ago. The slightest misunderstanding could lead to a charge of perjury or related charge.

A argument by Wapo and why you wouldn't want them as your lawyer in your defense.

No paywall surprisingly. At least I didn't encounter one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...eee_story.html

Several links to understand the topic and subject.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/pe...trap-doctrine/

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...s-perjury-trap

Testify about what?

So far the investigation hasn't turned up anything worth questioning Trump about.

All it would be really is an attempt at catching Trump at perjury about something trivial or non related to any Russian collision such as firing Comey.

At this point there's no reason to expect Trump testifying about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Testify about what?

So far the investigation hasn't turned up anything worth questioning Trump about.

All it would be really is an attempt at catching Trump at perjury about something trivial or non related to any Russian collision such as firing Comey.

You have inside information from Mueller?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You have inside information from Mueller?
We know Mueller will leak it if he doesn't and its to Mueller's advantage.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
And that's the rub right there it comes down to a matter of perception if we had Hillary in office or some other president from the left, and they pleaded the 5th the right would raise holy hell with it and scream that they are hiding something. IMO, I think pleading the 5th is more or less saying that your guilty and your hiding something. What I find even more interesting is that Trump stated this

" "You see the mob takes the Fifth," Trump said during a campaign stop in Iowa late last September. "If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b024a52d2de46d

Yet instead of answering, Donald Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination. Over the course of five depositions that summer, he was asked approximately 100 questions related to marital infidelity. He pleaded the Fifth on 97 of them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b024a52d2de46d

Don't get me wrong here BOTH parties do this, but Trump is the topic of this thread.
Trump says "if your innocent, why take the 5th?". Then he takes it 97 times.

And somehow his supporters see nothing wrong with this. Too much.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:39 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Testify about what?

If you have inside information as to what Mueller has discovered behind closed doors than please show your work. If you do not have this information that you need to retract this comment because you don't know a damned thing regarding what has and will be discovered by Mueller and his team.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I doubt you would hold the same opinion if it was you that was the target and you knew you weren't guilty.
I bet most people would find a better use for hundreds of thousands of dollars then to waste them on legal defense when there is no crime. Its not in the best interest of the country and won't be an attraction for good people to serve in any admin.
They better be rich and when they are the Dems cry foul.
If i were under investigation for something i knew i was innocent of i'd let them have at it knowing full well they will find nothing, to try to bring down the FBI/CIA/DOJ/all the media and saying its all a witch hunt from my opposition sounds to me like hes hiding something.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
He should testify if he has nothing to hide. Otherwise--he'll avoid it, just like defendants in murder trials.

Trump can't remember anything he's supposed to say without a script and since he lies most of the time, he would no doubt get confused about which lies are which. He also has no idea what the others have already told Mueller and that could be a big problem. But how entertaining would that be?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Trump-Mueller Interview: President Should Refuse Request | National Review

Good points raised here. The burden is on Mueller to show that there's a compelling interest to require Trump's testimony, which a president should not ordinarily be doing. This interest has not been demonstrated. A president should be governing, and not impeded by perpetual investigations, in the absence of probable cause of a specific crime.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i were under investigation for something i knew i was innocent of i'd let them have at it knowing full well they will find nothing, to try to bring down the FBI/CIA/DOJ/all the media and saying its all a witch hunt from my opposition sounds to me like hes hiding something.
We know he isn't hiding the collusion or obstruction witch Mueller is looking for. All that is left is a perjury trap. There is no defense against such a trap once a witness testifies in this case. Even the Dems in congress admit there is no collusion. Clapper said the same thing and if the intel agency's can't find it, Mueller doesn't have it.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Bill Clinton was charged with lying under oath to a federal grand jury and obstructing justice. There is no evidence the shows Donald Trump did anything remotely close to that.

Even though the left keeps hammering away, they've come up empty and have only been exposed for their own criminal misconduct.
That's because Trump hasn't yet faced a federal grand jury in this matter. When he does - rest assured he will lie or plead the fifth - which according to Trump - is an admission of guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What i dont get is why trump is so obsessed with stopping this investigation,if he has done nothing wrong then let it run its course where nothing will be found and the whole issue will die away. .
He and his crony swamp creatures just ACT guilty. Good lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
He outsmarted lifelong democrat and republican swamp creatures. Give the guy some credit. Trump is not a fool.
His supporters are though. Trump was right about one thing - there is literally NOTHING he could do to turn away his cult of supporters. He could kill a puppy on live television and ya'll would find a way to excuse it.

Sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies