Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
the old "I voted for Obama the first time around" is the new "I have a Black friend"

an agenda doesn't have to be based on facts but carry on.

So ............what are you if you voted for him the Second time and not the first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Perfect example of “belief” vs “knowledge”: Vietnam veterans weren't commonly spat on ... in fact, that may never have happened.

I came back - twice. Landed in San Francisco. Went straight up to Haight Ashbury in 66-67. Again in 68. Had an apartment there with my sister and friends. Returned and walked down Haight street in uniform with combat ribbons. People bought me beers. Handed me joints and flowers.

The war was not a joke. It was an abomination. I was there. And the only thing a nutjob like Chump is likely to do to solve future Vietnams is nuke the entire planet through his utter stupidity.

Just so you know. I was spit on while walking through the Oakland airport in my class "A's" on March 2 1972 on my way to catch my plane to Chicago........it happened.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Just so you know. I was spit on while walking through the Oakland airport in my class "A's" on March 2 1972 on my way to catch my plane to Chicago........it happened.

I'm so sorry, really, the same thing happened to my brother, when he returned from Vietnam. But you just cannot tell these people anything sorry to say, they don't believe you, b/c they didn't see it and it didn't happen to them. So...food for thought.

But again, I am very very sorry.

All my friends were protesting the war, one of them was a dodger and moved to Canada. I listened to them and their reasons why and couldn't help but agree...it wasn't to help anyone but line the pockets of corporations....

I also lost a school mate over there....

I couldn't protest with them, b/c my brother was over there, how could I?

Maybe you feel differently, and I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I just didn't approve of the war...
however, never ever would I spit on anyone, b/c you and many others who lost their lives, were fighting for something...so...

Old 02-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm so sorry, really, the same thing happened to my brother, when he returned from Vietnam. But you just cannot tell these people anything sorry to say, they don't believe you, b/c they didn't see it and it didn't happen to them. So...food for thought.

But again, I am very very sorry.

All my friends were protesting the war, one of them was a dodger and moved to Canada. I listened to them and their reasons why and couldn't help but agree...it wasn't to help anyone but line the pockets of corporations....

I also lost a school mate over there....

I couldn't protest with them, b/c my brother was over there, how could I?

Maybe you feel differently, and I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I just didn't approve of the war...
however, never ever would I spit on anyone, b/c you and many others who lost their lives, were fighting for something...so...

was over 40 years ago..........the main reason I mention it is I am sick and tired of the people who try to say it NEVER happened. It did. As to the war. Sad affair to say the least. My regrets mainly consist of how we just abandoned the south Vietnamese..........

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
was over 40 years ago..........the main reason I mention it is I am sick and tired of the people who try to say it NEVER happened. It did. As to the war. Sad affair to say the least. My regrets mainly consist of how we just abandoned the south Vietnamese..........
yes, we did abandon them, as Obama abandoned the Afghanistan people that helped us over there....my son had a translator, it is so awful to think of.

People don't want to believe what happened....they want to live in this protective plastic bubble that they have created for themselves that they call life....and refuse to believe anything beyond their comprehension or belief...

they were not here then, we were and we remember that is the difference, when we're gone, there will be no one to remember, hence, why history repeats itself...but this time, it will be devastating to the U.S.

Most people have no idea what goes on out there in the real world or went down 50 years ago.

Thank you for your service.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,432,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
What are these "tax return" things you speak of? Is that some sort of documentation Obama released as POTUS to the public to show where and how he earned his money?
yep, it's birther bizarro world. both obama and trump released their birth certificate, neither released college records and only obama released full tax returns but...... in their world obama is "sealing" records and trump is not.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, we did abandon them, as Obama abandoned the Afghanistan people that helped us over there....my son had a translator, it is so awful to think of.
When did we leave Afghanistan and why was no one told about it?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
Quote:
I'll tell you something that happened to me. I wasn't spit on or anything like that but what did happen infuriated me so much I still get angry when I think about it.

I had flown home on leave (this was in 1972 also), my grandfather picked me up at the airport, we went back to his house. My grandmother had cooked a good lunch so we ate and 2-3 hours later I left (they gave me one of their cars for the week) to drive over to see my sister.

On the way I decided to stop by the bank, the same branch that I'd had account with since high school, to get some money for the week. Like you I was in my class "A's". And, you know, that bank refused to deal with me. Even though I had my bank card (didn't have credit card in those days), military ID and drivers license plus a couple thousand in my savings account, I was told NO, to leave and then was essentially thrown out the door.

I mean I was steamed up over that.

The next say I went back to the bank, except this time I was really dressed up and wearing a suit. I had a long talk with the bank manager, told him what had happened the day before and exactly what I thought of them (he tried to deny it at first, but then couldn't) , closed the account, took the money and never went back.

Like i said, I am still mad over that after all these years.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I'll tell you something that happened to me. I wasn't spit on or anything like that but what did happen infuriated me so much I still get angry when I think about it.

I had flown home on leave (this was in 1972 also), my grandfather picked me up at the airport, we went back to his house. My grandmother had cooked a good lunch so we ate and 2-3 hours later I left (they gave me one of their cars for the week) to drive over to see my sister.

On the way I decided to stop by the bank, the same branch that I'd had account with since high school, to get some money for the week. Like you I was in my class "A's". And, you know, that bank refused to deal with me. Even though I had my bank card (didn't have credit card in those days), military ID and drivers license plus a couple thousand in my savings account, I was told NO, to leave and then was essentially thrown out the door.

I mean I was steamed up over that.

The next say I went back to the bank, except this time I was really dressed up and wearing a suit. I had a long talk with the bank manager, told him what had happened the day before and exactly what I thought of them (he tried to deny it at first, but then couldn't) , closed the account, took the money and never went back.

Like i said, I am still mad over that after all these years.
Good for you, I'm so sorry this happened to you...politics in at it's best. I don't care who you are or where your from, we're all different, we all possess different beliefs, regardless no one has the right to treat others like this b/c they disagree.

I would have done the very same thing.

Those people are shallow, and lack intellect....there is no other way to look at it.

You cannot force your (your meaning in general) ideas, beliefs and politics down the throats of others no matter what the issue.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When did we leave Afghanistan and why was no one told about it?
if you don't know what I mean, I'm not going to explain it.....
it makes me very angry to even think about what Obama did with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies