Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

What's different from all the millions+ that congress wastes every year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I think the wording of this article and what people who aren't being audited don't understand is that what is being said isn't always as straightforward as it seems (shocking).

I do not work for DLA but I work for an agency that is under audit by Ernst & Young (and was previously under audit by their predecessor).

You'll note that the article states that $800 Million in Construction Projects was not properly documented. This doesn't mean that DLA lost $800M. It means that they know they procured $800M of construction projects but some of the supporting documentation required by an auditor is not there. That doesn't mean that Joe Employee went out with $50M Cash to a construction company and procured services for DLA. What it means is that Joe Employee procured the services the appropriate way (through the agency's financial system); however, that documentation may have posted in the system incorrectly, there may have been adjustments that don't have justification attached, maybe a piece of the original quote wasn't attached, etc. We get dinged for not having "Key Supporting Documentation." It's noted as a finding but doesn't mean the whole procurement was not tracked or invisible.

The various DoD agencies have all been mostly operating with antiquated accounting systems that do not meet today's audit standards. In our own audit, we have not been found to be doing anything inappropriately as far as procurements and following fiscal law, but our automated accounting systems are not recording things in the proper GL accounts, or there are requirements for documentation to be attached that were not requirements when the actual procurement was made.

I think some of these headlines are a bit sensationalistic and mislead the public as to what is really going on.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What's different from all the millions+ that congress wastes every year??
waste is waste

what is your point?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
waste is waste

what is your point?
The outrage expressed by some posters calling for cutting their budget by half, investigations, the statement "it needs to be yanked back in line and under tough civilian oversight"

Where is this outrage and call for action over the actions of congress both individually and as a group? They waste billions every month and no complains why? Are they above reproach in their actions?

That's my point...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The outrage expressed by some posters calling for cutting their budget by half, investigations, the statement "it needs to be yanked back in line and under tough civilian oversight"

Where is this outrage and call for action over the actions of congress both individually and as a group? They waste billions every month and no complains why? Are they above reproach in their actions?

That's my point...
Yeah its all wasteful..your point is wasted on me. The pentagon appreciates you carrying its water.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 02-06-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Your same military that has lost billions and billions fighting pointless wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. That's right, billions and billions simply vanished and no one knows what the funk happened to it.

I wonder how many have pocketed this dosh, with new cars, new TV's, first class air travel, five star dining, etc. etc. (while the lowly enlisted troops that actually serve on the front lines get paid little by comparison).

What a sham.

Downright obscene when you consider those billions could have been used to help those in our society that need it the most with food, shelter, etc.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...w-funds-322860
You have to consider where a lot of terrorist groups in the ME get their financing. It's not just the Arabs. If you want to find a lot of this money you can go to Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and look into their arms factories. We fonance war and conflict all over the world through them.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Well, at least half if it ($400 million) went to IRAN in unmarked currencies . . .
https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/polit...ash/index.html

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, at least half if it ($400 million) went to IRAN in unmarked currencies . . .
https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/polit...ash/index.html
Really, just from DLA?

Also, we did owe Iran several million dollars that was settled in the World Court for us showing down their Foreign Military Sales program in the late 1970s. That had been under investigation for well over 20 years, reconciled, and had/has to be returned to them. I don't believe yet that all of it has been returned.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
"It’s never a good sign when one of the most conservative and pro-military Republicans on Capitol Hill says that President Trump’s defense budget is “basically the Obama approach with a little bit more, but not much."

Trump's defense budget is markedly lower than originally advertised.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It wasn't lost. It was used for payoffs and bribes that politicians didn't want to put their names on.
Yep. And Trump just led the greatest payoff scam by transferring taxpayer money to his rich friends....forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies