Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma has the 3rd fastest growing economy and one of the strongest middle classes in the country. Only 4 states have shrinking income inequality and a growing middle class, Oklahoma is one of them. They're all very red states.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ewsrelease.htm
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300549672.html

Old 02-08-2018, 01:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I see the same thing happening in Kansas. Eventually the only people living in Kansas will be old and wealthy or old and poor. Most people of working age are either already gone or wishing they were.
I escaped Oklahoma when I graduated college. The dumbest and worst decision I ever made was moving back.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Now let's look at California: Bankrupt (on paper). No affordable housing. Rents are out of reach of most people also, so there is a huge homeless problem. People are living in RV's and vehicles on the street (if they're lucky), they have no sanitation and are defecating and urinating on the streets. Some live in tents. There is trash piling up everywhere, creating a health issue also.

But it's a wonderful state, even though few people can afford to live there anymore.

By the way, I have some insider information ...I have Facebook friends that still live in California, and they are sick and tired of what the liberals have done to their state. I'm a former San Diegan myself, and my wife is a native.

Oh please. Californians have been complaining about the liberals in their state for decades. They love them and they complaint about them. It's how they roll.

Somehow it completely flies over your head that CA's housing is unaffordable because A LOT of people wants to live there because the state is so awesome. You know where housing is very affordable? Every. Single. Red. state.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Oh please. Californians have been complaining about the liberals in their state for as long as I can remember and definitely dates as far back as when Jerry Brown was a first term governor.

Somehow it completely flies over your head that CA's housing is unaffordable because A LOT of people wants to live there because the state is so awesome. You know where housing is very affordable? Every. Single. Red. state.

I agree with this. There actually are cheaper places in California but they are places that nobody wants to live. Think desert towns like Barstow.

Oklahoma is cheap because it's so undesirable. It has nothing to do with being blue or red.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Oklahoma has the 3rd fastest growing economy and one of the strongest middle classes in the country. Only 4 states have shrinking income inequality and a growing middle class, Oklahoma is one of them. They're all very red states.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ewsrelease.htm
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300549672.html
It won't mean much. Oklahoma Republicans will only use rising tax revenues as an excuse to resume cutting the state income tax, rather than do a lot more to better fund core state government services. To once again quote my state senator, "We need to ensure Oklahoma's economy has stabilized before additional revenue reductions are enacted."

Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. There actually are cheaper places in California but they are places that nobody wants to live. Think desert towns like Barstow.

Oklahoma is cheap because it's so undesirable. It has nothing to do with being blue or red.
Access to high paying jobs, NIMBYism, and the higher cost of building on more hilly, etc. terrain, among other things, also contribute to the higher cost of housing in coastal California

Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Make Oklahoma OK again. Bring back the "OKLAHOMA IS OK" car tags, starting with Orange & Black for the OSU colors:

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Right-Wing Policies Have Destroyed Oaklahoma - The Economist
That being the case, can we say that Left Wing policies destroyed Illinois? And Connecticut? New York?
I mean, fair is fair.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Oklahoma is fine. You lost the election in Oklahoma and the nation and everything is getting better. Good fiction though.
Do you live in Oklahoma?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:57 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That being the case, can we say that Left Wing policies destroyed Illinois? And Connecticut? New York?
I mean, fair is fair.
And the ironic part is those states are in A LOT worse shape Oklahoma. Oklahoma has the strongest middle class in the country after adjusting for cost of living and runs a surplus. Those states are bankrupt with shrinking and aging populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies