Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

https://boingboing.net/2017/03/17/fa...-ideology.html

Interesting post about Minnesota that raised taxes on rich people, increased public spending, and created shared prosperity for the people of Minnesota.

Minnesotans have a big heart and have a social service safety net that attracts the less fortunate as well as those seeking their fortune.

"The results of the experiment continue to surprise and delight: unemployment is down to 3.7%, private sector earnings are up 1.5% to $891/week, 47,000 new jobs were added to the economy in the past year, and the state just declared a $1.8B budget surplus, even as Forbes ranked it 9th in its table of best states for business.

"But this is all the more remarkable when compared the fate of the Republican-run, austerity-fuelled neighboring states, where a succession of GOP governors and state houses have slashed taxes on business and the wealthy, eliminated social spending, and attacked trade unionism. They are running deficits, the people there are earning less than their Minnesotan cousins, they're adding fewer (and worse) jobs, and posting less growth."

Similarly, Oklahoma slashed taxes in order to attract business and what did that get them?

Food for thought, eh?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
You think right-wing states are terrible?

Just look at California, a stronghold of failed liberal policies.
California is only the most innovative place on the planet and the engine of the American economy.

If CA is "failed", then I want to be "failed too". There's no bigger gusher of prosperity on the planet, possibly excepting the Northeast Corridor.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:48 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
More winning!!

To paraphrase: a Republican controlled legislature that gave out deep tax cut is wrecking the state. Oaklahoma can't afford to pay teachers, state workers were told to only work four days a week, schools also are only open four days a week, Highway patrol were told to not fill up their gas tanks, some bureaucracies are completely shut down like those who revoke drunk driving licenses. Teachers are fleeing the state, and schools would give teaching licenses to anyone with a passing knowledge just so classes can stay open. One principal had to emergency certify his secretary to teach a class.

Healthcare cost in Oaklahoma is through the roof. Some state workers actually have higher insurance cost than their pay, which means they pay the government to work there.

But, you know. Blue states have high housing cost. So there!

No some state workers do not have higher insurance than their pay. If they did, they couldnt eat or pay rent or afford to get to work.
You never mentioned anything about spending either. It's always about spending. Why give creedence to your posts on economics when you post garbage like this?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Right-Wing Policies Have Destroyed Oaklahoma "

Left-Wing Policies Have Destroyed NY, CA, MD MASS, NJ, WASH state, etc. did I miss any?
Yes, you missed quit a few.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
More winning!!

To paraphrase: a Republican controlled legislature that gave out deep tax cut is wrecking the state. Oaklahoma can't afford to pay teachers, state workers were told to only work four days a week, schools also are only open four days a week, Highway patrol were told to not fill up their gas tanks, some bureaucracies are completely shut down like those who revoke drunk driving licenses. Teachers are fleeing the state, and schools would give teaching licenses to anyone with a passing knowledge just so classes can stay open. One principal had to emergency certify his secretary to teach a class.

Healthcare cost in Oaklahoma is through the roof. Some state workers actually have higher insurance cost than their pay, which means they pay the government to work there.

But, you know. Blue states have high housing cost. So there!

So you are quoting a liberal MSM article from almost a year ago that has been previously mentioned. Yes tax revenues fell in 2016 because of low oil prices. Things rebounded nicely in 2017. When you post year old stories just to mislead people you miss the real story. Its not a red blue issue but a state of which the oil industry produces a big chuck of the tax revenue.

How about a Oklahoma publication more recently showing a 12% increase in tax revenues to the state year to year:

Oklahoma state revenues continue upward trend | News OK
State tax revenues for November were up more than 12 percent over the same month last year, State Treasurer Ken Miller announced Wednesday.

This marks the eighth consecutive month that state tax revenues have experienced year-over-year growth, he said.

“Gross receipts to the treasury, insomuch as they indicate general economic activity, paint an encouraging picture as we enter the holiday period,” Miller said. “Sales tax collections, a measure of consumer confidence, are up by double-digits and the bulk of holiday shopping, including Black Friday, is not yet measured with this report.”

I spent several months from late spring until the fall. First of all you can't spell the name of the state. Hard to take someone seriously who does not even understand spell check. Second I own investment property there as well as a business. I did not see or hear of anything like this where I was and I traveled extensively around the state. Oklahoma is far from destroyed. I beautiful state with very nice friendly people. And the town I have property in is doing great. Lots of new businesses going up including a new Holiday Inn. Oil services contractors have the Best Western filled to the max daily.

I have friends with kids in school in OKC. The schools are fine. They are happy with everything there and say things are much better there then when they lived in Phoenix a few years back.

My only concern is the stronger economy will make real estate go up and make in more expensive for me to buy property this summer. But I am happy for the people that things are going well.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
California is only the most innovative place on the planet and the engine of the American economy.

If CA is "failed", then I want to be "failed too". There's no bigger gusher of prosperity on the planet, possibly excepting the Northeast Corridor.
Minnesota is doing pretty good.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This is the road Trump and the GOP would have the entire country go down.
Yep. The crazy part is that those who will suffer the most are those in Trump Country.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
https://boingboing.net/2017/03/17/fa...-ideology.html

Interesting post about Minnesota that raised taxes on rich people, increased public spending, and created shared prosperity for the people of Minnesota.

Minnesotans have a big heart and have a social service safety net that attracts the less fortunate as well as those seeking their fortune.

"The results of the experiment continue to surprise and delight: unemployment is down to 3.7%, private sector earnings are up 1.5% to $891/week, 47,000 new jobs were added to the economy in the past year, and the state just declared a $1.8B budget surplus, even as Forbes ranked it 9th in its table of best states for business.

"But this is all the more remarkable when compared the fate of the Republican-run, austerity-fuelled neighboring states, where a succession of GOP governors and state houses have slashed taxes on business and the wealthy, eliminated social spending, and attacked trade unionism. They are running deficits, the people there are earning less than their Minnesotan cousins, they're adding fewer (and worse) jobs, and posting less growth."

Similarly, Oklahoma slashed taxes in order to attract business and what did that get them?

Food for thought, eh?
Show proof neighboring states are practicing austerity? When you make things up, you loose credibility.

from your link

An improved employment outlook and the second lowest business costs (labor, energy and taxes) have propelled North Carolina to first in our annual ranking, a spot previously only attained by Utah and Virginia since we launched the list in 2006.

Bolded for what is important.

Texas, which is right with Minnesota, is highly ranked for the same reason.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-07-2018 at 07:01 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Just like Detroit, MI...Flint, MI...Trenton, NJ...Camden, NJ...Newark, NJ...St. Louis, MO,...Kansas City, MO,... Chicago, IL...Oakland, Ca, ...Baltimore, MD....etc.

You realize all those places are much more successful than OK, right? You wanna compare economic or health data somewhere like Chicagoland or Bay Area or NYC area with OK? I mean, seriously?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
51% of Oklahoma school funding is sourced from the state. 11% of the state economy is oil.

Declining oil revenues and a .25 cut in state taxes has required the state to cut school funding. The state spends $1 billion less on education than it did a decade ago. The state imposes a top tax rate of 5.25% on individual AGI greater than $8,701.

It has been necessary to make major cuts in AP plasses, eliminate the cap on class size and in some districts, cut the school week.

Dallas is poaching teachers.

The people elect state legislators. If the people want more funding for schools they have the power to elect legislators who will increase taxes to fund them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies