Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:09 AM

51,737 posts, read 26,048,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Ya know there IS such thing as a happy medium between IL left loony and OK right loony.
Oklahoma isn't "right loony."

Oklahoma is exactly what the Republicans are preaching: Cut taxes. Cut government spending.

Oklahoma is what this looks like.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,256,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Our friends don't live in big cities. They live in small towns. They aren't being inundated with criminals and their neighbors aren't "crappy."

They say the classrooms are overcrowded and the good teachers are all leaving.
According to the chart, the average class size in Oklahoma is 19.9. Which is slightly below the national average of 20.3

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tab...324_t1s_08.asp

But yes, in rural areas of Oklahoma, they are struggling.

The schools in Oklahoma are funded almost-entirely by local property taxes. But in rural areas, property values are incredibly low, which means property taxes either have to be really high, or there is no funding for the schools.

Quote:
Oklahoma is ranked 48th in quality of life factors.
I don't generally trust anything that purports to measure quality-of-life. The criteria and the weighting of factors tends to be biased. It will rank places with the highest rates of antidepressant use, as having high quality-of-life.

Quote:
Oklahoma ranks 1st for chronic lower respiratory disease, and is in a tie for 1st place for diabetes.

Ranks 2nd for heart disease.
To be fair, Native-Americans have a very high risk for diabetes. About twice as high as for whites.

Traditions and Diabetes Prevention: A Healthy Path for Native Americans | Diabetes Spectrum

They also have a high rate of heart disease.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2015/...erican-indians

Quote:
8th for suicides.
To be honest, I'm constantly depressed, and I did try to kill myself before. Although, at the time, I was actually living in Georgia.

The seven states with a higher suicide rate than Oklahoma, are Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Montana, Alaska, and Wyoming.

Oregon makes sense, because it rains there for like 8 months straight. Not sure about the others.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
More winning!!

To paraphrase: a Republican controlled legislature that gave out deep tax cut is wrecking the state. Oaklahoma can't afford to pay teachers, state workers were told to only work four days a week, schools also are only open four days a week, Highway patrol were told to not fill up their gas tanks, some bureaucracies are completely shut down like those who revoke drunk driving licenses. Teachers are fleeing the state, and schools would give teaching licenses to anyone with a passing knowledge just so classes can stay open. One principal had to emergency certify his secretary to teach a class.

Healthcare cost in Oaklahoma is through the roof. Some state workers actually have higher insurance cost than their pay, which means they pay the government to work there.

But, you know. Blue states have high housing cost. So there!

Home of the Oak Tree!
Our education system has failed one person for sure.
One time it is a typo. 3 times and the need to go back and learn some geography

Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,050,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Oklahoma is fine. You lost the election in Oklahoma and the nation and everything is getting better. Good fiction though.
Cool story, bro. Did you ever live there?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:21 AM

7,799 posts, read 4,424,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
hey, if you had a tree for a beard you'd be perpetually angry too.
I am not perpetually angry. My post may have been more strident than I would have liked. However, the recent history of the GOP has been to,"starve the beast", I.e. so bankrupt the government there will not be enough to fund government operations.

It all seems so self defeating to me. No purpose but to weaken us. Oklahoma and Kansas are foreshadowing the conservative dark vision for America. Not angry really, just concerned and truly saddened.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you either didn't bother to read the article I posted or didn't comprehend what you read.
You do realize you weren't the original poster? And that I didn't even respond to your post with that article in it? And that, I don't necessarily read every article that is posted in a thread, especially when it is posted several pages into a thread.

Quote:
"Putnam cites the example of a popular support program for developmental disabilities which gave families of limited means resources to take care of their loved ones. It takes roughly 10 years just to get on a waiting list to be considered for the support waiver to help a disabled person, meaning applications filed in 2006 are just now being considered. Many of the disabled patients have died by the time their files are being considered."
When you say, "10 year wait lists for disability services.", it made it seem like people with disabilities have to wait 10 years to get anything.

In reality, the article you linked is talking about people with "developmental disabilities". And to qualify, you need to have an IQ of 70 or lower.

https://okpolicy.org/waiting-list/

And the program provides "medical equipment, therapy, job preparation, respite care, and independent living skills".

Basically, the disabled are already able to collect disability, and get other services. This was just a special program which provided a few extras. And there are currently about 7,000 people on the waiting list, for the entire state.

Quote:
It's lack of health insurance that is leading to hospital bankruptcies. Oklahoma has one of the highest rates of uninsured in the nation.
What the article actually said was.... "Aging, shrinking rural communities, combined with Oklahoma's decision not to expand Medicaid as part of the Affordable Care Act and cuts to Medicaid reimbursement rates, have created a financial crisis for many of the state's smaller hospitals."

The problem is only happening in rural areas. And specially, only the poorer rural areas with shrinking communities and aging populations.

The same policies were enacted across the state. But everywhere else is doing fine.

Thus, these hospitals were probably already in trouble long before the ACA. The ACA, and the cuts, just made things worse.

Regardless, does the closing of a few hospitals mean that people can't get healthcare? Or does it just mean a few hospitals went bankrupt?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-07-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
How about any of the other states that are ranked higher than Oklahoma in quality of life?
I want you to give me a state that you think is better than Oklahoma. And tell me why. And don't give me some arbitrary rankings. I want you to explain it to me.

Quote:
States where teachers and business are moving to?
So you think I should move to Texas? Isn't that where everyone is moving? Even Californians?

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/1...-here-in-2016/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...d-intensifies/

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/27/54639...ike-california

Old 02-07-2018, 05:47 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,193,924 times
Quote:
More winning!!

To paraphrase: a Republican controlled legislature that gave out deep tax cut is wrecking the state. Oaklahoma can't afford to pay teachers, state workers were told to only work four days a week, schools also are only open four days a week, Highway patrol were told to not fill up their gas tanks, some bureaucracies are completely shut down like those who revoke drunk driving licenses. Teachers are fleeing the state, and schools would give teaching licenses to anyone with a passing knowledge just so classes can stay open. One principal had to emergency certify his secretary to teach a class.

Healthcare cost in Oaklahoma is through the roof. Some state workers actually have higher insurance cost than their pay, which means they pay the government to work there.

My state doesn't tax wages. We don't have toll roads or at least none I know of. All of our state parks are free. We're ranked 13th for lowest property taxes. I've been here 11 years and my rent is still not as much as it was in Maryland. The one I have now is twice the size of the MD apartment. The state makes money on sales tax.

How much is Oklahoma shelling out for poor illegals? extra teachers, cops, fire, roads, government assistance? Some may pay income taxes but they don't pay enough taxes to cover their cost. Switch from an income based tax to a sales tax.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:51 AM

59,555 posts, read 27,723,269 times
Quote:
More winning!!

" Right-Wing Policies Have Destroyed Oaklahoma "

Left-Wing Policies Have Destroyed NY, CA, MD MASS, NJ, WASH state, etc. did I miss any?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:52 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,406,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
My friend who grew up in the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ says the same about Newark.

MSN put Kansas City on the list of worst cities to live in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...BCKRM1#image=3
That article is about KC, Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies