Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Who rides their bicycle at that hour?
That's common in New Orleans. I used to ride my bike all over that city. That being said, it's a terribly violent city that I have little interest even visiting again.

I remember one time I parked near a sketchy neighborhood to grab some donuts. 3 young kids, probably in middle school or high school insulted me as they walked past me. For absolutely no reason. Would not surprise me if they were carrying.

I worked with a young black man that said he would have "hated me" because I'm white. I said I wasn't white, to which he responded "doesn't matter you look white, so I would've hated you".

They don't really have gangs in New Orleans, it's more a nihilistic free-for-all.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was shot at for nothing.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
A good rule of thumb is not to be out late at night in shady areas, period.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
There's no such thing as riding a bike too late at night. Similar to how there is no such thing as driving a car too late at night.

It is a mode of transportation for many people. By choice by some. I've ridden mine at night for various reasons. None were related to drug dealing.

And being white, probably no one would care or notice my activity.
For me it has long bern a form of transportation as well as form of exercise. I have never associated bicycles with drug dealing. As for why anyone would assume such, I chalk it up to paranoia, some of it rooted in prejudice.

Your last paragraph did make me think of something. I was pulled over by the police one night on a midnight bike ride. I found out that someone else called the police on me. I had to wonder what part of it being Black had to play. This took place on a college campus. There were a few people around campus at that hour, most likely playing around.

People riding bicycles at any hour, it's done for transportation, for exercise. I can't think of why people associate bicycles with being criminals other than paranoia and prejudice.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Drug dealers.
Really? I've never known drug dealers who ride bikes at that hour. I've known bicycle enthusiasts and people coming from/going to work at that hour riding bikes. I've ridden at that hour.

I got jumped and robbed one night after work. The perpetrators were not on a bike. They were in a car. And here is another surprise. This was not in a ghetto. This was in a decent suburb.

If you really believe that only drug dealers ride bikes at that hour, that shows your own ignorance and how you will make erroneous assumptions.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I commuted to work by bike for years and when I had to start at 5 or 6 I rode in the dark. I've got the full gear and this being a pretty safe city and all but I've still seen it all because most of the bad stuff still happens at night. And yes, many a tweeker out at that time, drunks too.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,856 times
No one should loose their life.

This guy going into a protest and ripping the flag out of someone’s hands, he is putting himself in danger by choice.
Do stupid things and stupid things can happen.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Charleston Black Lives Matter leader shot, killed in New Orleans, niece says | Fox News The police didn't shoot him. I hope BLM comes out and condemns this act of violence! I hope they are outraged. I hope the black community comes out and does something about it. Riots? Nope Protests? Nope. Crickets? You betcha!!!
another terrorist bites the dust.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I worked with a young black man that said he would have "hated me" because I'm white. I said I wasn't white, to which he responded "doesn't matter you look white, so I would've hated you".
And yet, there are some who would insist that it was the fault of white society that this man hated you solely because of the color of your skin. They would make excuses for him, and loudly proclaim that he was not racist, because those who are "oppressed" and "marginalized" can't be racist.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Grabbing a Confederate flag. I will say this. And I'm not sorry for feeling this way. Every time I see a Confederate flag flying, I have feelings of rage and disgust. Because of why the Confederates wanted secession (read the Articles of Secession. Slavery is mentioned so much), that is I feel the way I do.

While I have a strong disdain for the Confederate flag, I wouldn't grab a Confederate flag from someone's porch. I fear getting shot. While I have thought about grabbing a Confederate flag from someone's porch, I don't do it. I understand what might happen. If I try such a move, I am violating someone's private property.

I don't wish death on that man. I really wish he had not been killed. On the other hand, doing what he didn't wasn't a smart idea. For as much as I can empathize with him, this is a case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". I wish he had lived. However, I understand that people will shoot you over violating private property.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Grabbing a Confederate flag. I will say this. And I'm not sorry for feeling this way. Every time I see a Confederate flag flying, I have feelings of rage and disgust. Because of why the Confederates wanted secession (read the Articles of Secession. Slavery is mentioned so much), that is I feel the way I do.

While I have a strong disdain for the Confederate flag, I wouldn't grab a Confederate flag from someone's porch. I fear getting shot. While I have thought about grabbing a Confederate flag from someone's porch, I don't do it. I understand what might happen. If I try such a move, I am violating someone's private property.

I don't wish death on that man. I really wish he had not been killed. On the other hand, doing what he didn't wasn't a smart idea. For as much as I can empathize with him, this is a case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". I wish he had lived. However, I understand that people will shoot you over violating private property.
He grabbed that flag years ago and almost certainly had nothing to do with his being shot at 1 am riding his bike around NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies