Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 AM

18,740 posts, read 7,637,238 times

Advertisements

"Comedians" aren't really comedians any more. Where are Johnny Carson, Bob Hope etc. when you need them?

(See how far back we have to go to even find someone trying to be funny?)

----------------------------------------

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comedy-...nny-1517963485

Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny

With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.

by Joseph Epstein
Feb. 6, 2018 7:31 p.m. ET

(snip)

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

(snip)

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:57 AM

14,815 posts, read 8,142,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Liberals killed humor/comedy. Having a sense of humor has been forbidden by the extreme liberal mentality.
Me personally, I see it as the other way around. It's the GOP and Trump who have want to kill comedy.
No jokes should be allowed about the Great Orange Hope.
And I was a lifelong Republican until just recently...that is why I use the terms "GOP and Trump" instead of the term "Conservatives"
because in my book they are NOT Conservatives....don't even recognize these people.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,643,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Me personally, I see it as the other way around. It's the GOP and Trump who have want to kill comedy.
No jokes should be allowed about the Great Orange Hope.
And I was a lifelong Republican until just recently...that is why I use the terms "GOP and Trump" instead of the term "Conservatives"
because in my book they are NOT Conservatives....don't even recognize these people.
Too bad I have yet to hear any joke that was not a hateful, mean spirited rant. Please give an actually, you know..funny joke and we will laugh.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,581,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"Comedians" aren't really comedians any more. Where are Johnny Carson, Bob Hope etc. when you need them?

With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.

by Joseph Epstein

(snip)

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

(snip)

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics.

Louis C.K. is hilarious.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM

47,022 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Could somebody please Ctrl-C Roboteer's shell script?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,555,269 times
Who said comedy aint funny anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtCLwYFRp4o

Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,710,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

by Joseph Epstein

(snip)

(snip)

What is it that the trumpissts say all the time? Something about snowflakes? awwww, poor baby, is making fun of trump hurting your feelings? Need a safe room?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,710,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'd love to see what Will Rogers would have to say about republicans today.
I suspect he would have finally met a man or two that he didn't like.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,233,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
FIRST of all people, you need to remember things change with the times and programming or content is not going to be exactly as it was in the past, though comedians have always made political jokes, besides other material.

This current situation has provided endless material due to the extreme nature of this ordeal and will continue to, besides the viewership interest creating ratings for. There have been new comedians and shows created JUST for the purpose of spoofing events and occurrences regarding. Never before has there been anything this involved or extreme happening, so what do you think is going to be discussed? That is the nature of things and this has taken such precedence. (I realize that many just don't like the idea of their leader being so heavily derided, but fasten your seatbelts, it's not ending soon).

When things calm down...meaning, once we have a "normal presidency" again, you will see the entire comedic focus will not be as it is now and that other material will be shared more evenly again. Just hang on.
That you keep a straight face through your own hypocrisy is amazing. We're all VERY impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I just rolled my eyes so far back I checked out my own butt.
Hmm, I wonder where that means your head is? Oh, that's right...up your arse.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:12 PM

27,270 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Amy Schumer has a new film out in which she bangs her head and starts believing she's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies