Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times

Advertisements

Senate leaders announce two-year budget pact

Maybe a real deal....this is bigger than the Dreamers...Everybody gets something here..and everybody loses something..no DACA...and no Wall--works for me:

"The Senate's top Republican says there's Senate agreement on a two-year, almost $400 billion budget deal that would provide Pentagon and domestic programs with huge spending increases.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced the pact, joined on the Senate floor by top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer of New York. It would contain almost $300 billion over current limits on defense and domestic accounts.
McConnell said the measure would rewrite existing defense limits that have "hamstrung our armed forces and jeopardized our national security."
The measure, aides said, also contains almost $90 billion in overdue disaster aid and an increase in the government borrowing cap that would prevent a first-ever U.S. government default on its obligations."

Now it's up to the House..where the extremists on both sides are balking:

"Chances of a repeat of last month's shutdown had appeared to be fading as prospects of a budget pact grew, but Pelosi's opposition could throw a monkey wrench into the plan. And the problem wasn't just with Democrats.
On the right, Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., leader of the hard-line House Freedom Caucus, also said he opposes the emerging bipartisan deal, which could be unveiled Wednesday.
"I'm afraid the numbers will get so high and the debt ceiling will be added and it will be a Christmas tree of spending — that a lot of votes will be bought," he said on MSNBC. Meadows' group backs big defense increases but opposes boosting domestic spending.
The deal had been picking up steam even as the president appeared to be readying for a standoff.
"I'd love to see a shutdown if we can't get this stuff taken care of," Trump declared Tuesday.
Trump's comments were strikingly disconnected from the apparent progress on Capitol Hill, where the House passed a short-term spending measure Tuesday night and Senate leaders were closing in on the larger, long-term pact. The broader agreement would award whopping spending increases to both the Pentagon and domestic federal programs, as well as approve overdue disaster relief money and, perhaps, crucial legislation to increase the government's borrowing limit and avoid possible default."
Now it's up to the House..where the extremists on both sides are balking
Now it's up to the House..where the extremists on both sides are balking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
That's one of the dumbest "deals" I've ever seen.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I would like to see less on defense as we already spend and waste too much as it is. Big increase on domestic is good and no wall is great. Will hold out on saying yes or no when details actually come out.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
It would be interesting, to say the least, to see if Trump will veto it because it doesn't address his wall.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would like to see less on defense as we already spend and waste too much as it is. Big increase on domestic is good and no wall is great. Will hold out on saying yes or no when details actually come out.

Yep, the only thing that has "hamstrung" the military is its unchecked waste of money.

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
That’s pretty amazing... hope it works out..

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Holy cow. No DACA and no wall are enormous concessions by both sides, I'd like to see some more details.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
I just saw this on the news. First its great that the senate is trying to put forth a bipartisan deal that focuses solely on budget. Finally no daca or dreamer negotiations, but 300 billion extra in spending? Is most of that for the military? That's just too much money for the military ----

Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I just saw this on the news. First its great that the senate is trying to put forth a bipartisan deal that focuses solely on budget. Finally no daca or dreamer negotiations, but 300 billion extra in spending? Is most of that for the military? That's just too much money for the military ----
Yeah, it doesn't really break it down. Is that $300 billion on both or combined?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
That's one of the dumbest "deals" I've ever seen.
This is what real compromise looks like---been a while since the Middle has had its say. We don't care about your wedge issues--lets spend some money and fix some stuff.

Screw DACA and screw the wall. Address immigration reform apart from any budget shenanigans. Let's stop trying to play Game of Thrones and get to the business of governing our country. No more financial blackmail.. no more grandstanding for issues that most of us couldn't care less about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies