Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times

Advertisements

The Trump administration doesn’t get why y’all have a problem with a guy beating his wife.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well it was two wives and one girl friend so he could be considered a terrific woman abuser.
Consistent.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Ex wife #2 had a restraining order in 2010.

A more recent former live in girl friend alleges abuse.

Sounds like a long term pattern is emerging.

Yes, and that was also part of why he hadn't been able to get security clearance.

That a restraining order was filed and approved, along with what both wives said in separate interviews during the security clearance, his permanent security clearance was probably "on hold" under Guideline D: Sexual behavior , Guideline I - Psychological Conditions or Guideline E Personal Behavior. Or maybe some combination of all of them.

I read an interview today with the second wife where she said she felt terrible that the information she provided may have caused an issue for him, but when you're being interviewed by the investigators in this process, you really don't want to lie. That can get you in hot water too.

Also, I just checked and the security clearance application does ask you to provide information about spouses (current and past) and/or live ins, so who knows, perhaps they talked to the girl friend above too.

Again, all of this is speculation. All we know for sure (since the WH has acknowledged it) that he had an interim (i.e. temporary) security clearance that usually lasts for 90 days, but in his case.

I wonder who Porter's direct reporting supervisor was at the WH. It is highly unusual for the reporting supervisor of a position that required clearance to not be informed when the person in the position doesn't pass the security clearance screening.

He did, as I said, have an interim clearance, but those are usually changed to permanent in 90 days if everything checks out. So kind of odd that it wasn't.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The Trump administration doesn’t get why y’all have a problem with a guy beating his wife.
Wife beater. No problem there. Right?
And you wonder why we march ???

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm not excusing anyone for domestic abuse, mind you. It is horrible.

But, frankly, I'm more concerned with why someone who was in a position requiring permanent TOP security clearance was allowed to remain in the position without it.

That, and also that apparently no one who he reported to was informed he hadn't gotten his permanent security clearance yet.

I could accept that maybe Pres. Trump wasn't aware of the importance of that, but General Kelly has had been supervising folks with varying levels of clearances his entire military career so he should have been aware.

Guess maybe there's some leeway when you work in the White House.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-08-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
But he's supposed to have been one of Jared's classmates!

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'm not excusing anyone for domestic abuse, mind you. It is horrible.

But, frankly, I'm more concerned with why someone who was in a position requiring permanent TOP security clearance was allowed to remain in the position without it.

That, and also that apparently no one who he reported to was informed he hadn't gotten his permanent security clearance yet.

I could accept that maybe Pres. Trump wasn't aware of the importance of that, but General Kelly has had been supervising folks with varying levels of clearances his entire military career so he should have been aware.

Guess maybe there's some leeway when you work in the White House.
Yea. You haven’t figured out they do not play by the rules yet?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
It's a shame Donald doesn't vet his hires like he wants to vet immigrants.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Took another look at the link I provided earlier to the guidelines. Apparently there are ways that a person who hasn't been granted security clearance can be given an "exception" with authorization (doesn't say who has to authorize it).

See this link if you're curious: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/276121.htm

So, it is possible that is how Porter was able to continue to work in a job requiring Top security clearance without actually having top security clearance.

I also want to add that I'm sure this has happened in other administrations, not just the Trump administration, but given some of the issues the current President has had to address with his team, it might have been wise to be extra, extra dilligent about dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's with regards to security clearances.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 PM

Someone earlier mentioned that Jared Kushner, the President's son in law also hasn't yet gotten his permanent Top security clearance approval.

I wasn't sure if that was true, but a quick google search confirmed that it is:

Jared Kushner Still Doesn't Have Full Security Clearance

So, in fairness, it could just be that there is some slow down in processing top security clearances that's holding up getting everyone on the President's staff the proper permanent clearances.

Separate from how you feel about the President, this really is a terrible glitch in our national security system -- to have people handling top secret classified information without full clearance seems ill advised at best.

And again, this may not be limited to this administration. It could be that the process takes longer for WH staff so this is perfectly normal for security clearances to take more than a year when a new president comes in - who knows? It does kind of boggle my mind if that's the case though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies