Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 04:46 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree that not all companies are like that, and I'm glad.

But at my company, the issue is them simply being cheap. They pay well enough to be in compliance with the H1-B program, but not enough to live well in the Bay Area. I get paid well (as does my one American colleague), but I'm a senior level developer, and it seems like they try to cheap out on the junior and intermediate roles.

I often have recruiters reaching out to me for roles in SoCal and other parts of the country, which is great - but it doesn't change the fact that many companies abuse the H1-B program at Americans' expense.
Thanks for responding!

I don't disagree with you about the H1-B program. There are plenty of instances where other "cheap" companies have displaced Americans from jobs to use H1-B workers, or to ship jobs overseas. Anyone who has ever called a tech support hotline has first hand experience with that.

I think it's like a lot of our immigration and visa system. The underlying *idea* behind a program may not be horrible, but somewhere along the way, it's become open to being used for a different purpose. A case could certainly made that is true with the H1-B program. The original intent (at least I think so) was to help American employers find skilled labor when no Americans with similar qualifications were available. It wasn't intended to help employers cut their labor costs.

So, the program definitely needs to be evaluated and revised, and more safeguards put in place to insure that it is being used for its intended purpose.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely convinced the program should be entirely eliminated. It makes more sense to me than the silly "diversity lottery" in that it is, at least to some extent, based on what the person can do for America (or employers). And, we do have real needs in certain fields for additional workers (i.e. shortage of doctors in certain places).

An H1-B visa also is dependent on you having an employer and a job. So, you're at least self-supporting. You aren't arriving in the U.S. and ending up living on welfare or using other public assistance programs.

And H1-B visas are temporary. They aren't an automatic path to naturalization or citizenship. So, if you break laws while you're here, it's easier to get you out of the country.

So, maybe what's needed is to take a look at what needs to be done to get the program back to its intended purpose, rather than eliminate it entirely. That should certainly be done before agreeing to drastically increase the program.

Components of the program might also be worth looking at in immigration reform. Those components would include: employer sponsorship, having a guaranteed job, being able to support yourself with that job, having skills/experience/training to offer that is going to help America and American employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Now Indians are trying to join the DACA bandwagon in securing stay for their children who will reach 21 and would need a visa there after. .
The children of H1-B visa recipients do not qualify for DACA.

Their parents are here legally (although on a temporary visa). And, the children themselves - as dependents of H1B visa holders - are also here legally. They have "lawful status" in the U.S.

So they are ineligible to apply for DACA because one of the main requirements of DACA limits it only to young people who have never had a legal status in the U.S.

This comes from the Federal rules for DACA applicants, which you can find here: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/freque...sked-questions

That's not to say that some H1-B Visa holders aren't trying to wrangle a way in under DACA, but they're not going to get very far with it.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
H1B Program has no basis for existing in 2018...

It's obvious now why tech companies want it..keeps the American tech worker in competition with the millions of overseas workers...meaning no leverage. keeps wages stagnant. There's absolutely no shortage of highly skilled and super intelligent American tech peeps but they would have a little negotiating power if the uber execs had to rely on the American force alone.

Reminds me of how the Haitian shoemakers lost their businesses because first world countries inundated the island with free shoes...too much availability lowers the value...simple law of economics.

There are plenty of new American tech grads as well as extremely skilled career techies in the current job force. To say otherwise is bogus.
And yet Congress will once again be considering a bill to increase H1B visas.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:09 PM

736 posts, read 353,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And yet Congress will once again be considering a bill to increase H1B visas.
Whoever votes for such a bill can kiss their presidential aspiration goodbye, at least on the republican side. Anyone who voted for an increase in immigration will be vilify during elections. This last election showed this and many contenders can easily exploit such a voting record.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
trump hires foreign workers himself EVEN THOUGH Palm Beach County says there are locals who WANT those seasonal jobs. He's hardly a spokesperson for America First.
Trump has consistently rationalized the visas he uses to import seasonal workers in Palm Beach.

He could pay $1/ hr more and poach the best workers from the competition.

He could recruit in adjoining counties.

He could run vans to centralized locations for pick- up/ drop- off

Same deal with most Trump Org products, clothing, leather goods, jewelry, home furnishings, etc.

He was a frequent guest on Dave Letterman with more than 30 appearances. In 2012 Letterman interrupted his rag on China and brought out Trump ties. Trump said they were the best selling ties in the world and sold at Macy's. Letterman read the label, " Made in China".

He chooses to not walk the talk.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:21 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
Disagree. My extensive experience tells the opposite story.

Many many foreign H1 B workers fail to meet the bar and have managed to puff up and even falsify their credentials. It's much harder to verify the CV of a foreign worker. They can and have said just about ANYTHING to get that H1 B placement. Once in the USA they may scramble to get the skills required but cost the company in the long run. Many departments now have management from India, for example, who are pressured from friends and relatives back in India to find jobs within their companies...this leads to abuse of the system.

The pressure to to bring over friends and family for these positions cannot be overstated.

There simply is no need whatsoever to import workers for these high level positions. It's a ruse.
Its much harder to verify your extensive experience about H1's too . Much of the H1B's come through big companies like Infosys or TCS or Wipro. And if you fake your resume you are fired ( that's the best thing the HR ever does IMO) . Most of them begin their careers as trainees and learn the stuff gradually so they don't have different companies in their resume either . And I don't think all those companies are frauds managing over 125000 college graduates( most of them being engineers).

And then there is extensive background check by 3rd parties before the US grants you a visa.

Of course there are abuses and they are carried out by Indo-Americans who run these consultancies.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The children of H1-B visa recipients do not qualify for DACA.

Their parents are here legally (although on a temporary visa). And, the children themselves - as dependents of H1B visa holders - are also here legally. They have "lawful status" in the U.S.

So they are ineligible to apply for DACA because one of the main requirements of DACA limits it only to young people who have never had a legal status in the U.S.

This comes from the Federal rules for DACA applicants, which you can find here: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/freque...sked-questions

That's not to say that some H1-B Visa holders aren't trying to wrangle a way in under DACA, but they're not going to get very far with it.
Yes, they are in the green card backlog queue and compare them selves to refugees from Syria etc and the DACA recipients and also push for removal of country wide green card cap. Its embarrassing that they don't even understand what DACA and asylum is.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 PM

Remember this? Judge determined Disney violated no laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/u...n-layoffs.html

Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
H1B program needs to be suspended indefinitely pending a thorough review and overhaul.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Not enough Americans going into math and sciences.
That’s a bullshucks excuse. There are lots of Americans with the aptitude and don’t even know it. Millions. It’s the job of the tech companies to FIND those kids with all those billions they have and get them trained up.

This idea that they’re supposed to get gift wrapped STEM grads without putting in work is a bs narrative and it needs to change. Trump needs to give those companies a stern warning about their unwillingness to go beat the pavement and look for kids with STEM potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies