Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

Depends pn what they are reading instead. If it’s I Have Two Mommies I would oppose it. If it’s How To Understand The U.S. Tax Code I would support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Progressive agenda on display in Duluth, MN
Two great works of American literature because it offends someone.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Duluth schools remove 'Huckleberry Finn' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' from curriculum - StarTribune.com

Excuse me, but I see nothing in the article that says anything about "liberal" or "progressive."

In fact, liberals are generally against official censorship.

Unfortunately, you undermine your own credibility with silliness like "Liberalism is a mental disorder." A general definition of liberalism is that it favors civil liberties and is against authoritarianism, and you'd have to be crazy yourself to believe that those beliefs are crazy.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
The article says those book no longer will be required reading but they will still be available in the school library for those who want to read them on their own time. I don't see a problem with that. Times change and school curriculum don't stay the same over the decades.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:36 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Calm down. Calm down.

The books are being removed from the required reading list for students.

They will "continue to be available in school libraries and can be optional reading, but beginning next school year, they will be replaced by other books that address the same topics."

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.or...ird-huck-finn/

Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Reason #6537893426543345654099 not send your children to government school.
Agreed!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
They didn't ban the books from the library or school -- just took them off the curriculum. Too bad -- great opportunity for discussion -- especially because of the concepts, language, etc.

But the books aren't banned. That's important.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They didn't ban the books from the library or school -- just took them off the curriculum. Too bad -- great opportunity for discussion -- especially because of the concepts, language, etc.

But the books aren't banned. That's important.
Who said they were banned? It’s a thread about the gutless wonders who have taken over the public school system.

They don’t want any conflict for their students because no one ever taught them how to handle conflict themselves.

Private schools will continue to include To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn in their REQUIRED course work and great learning and discussion will result.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Who said they were banned? It’s a thread about the gutless wonders who have taken over the public school system.

They don’t want any conflict for their students because no one ever taught them how to handle conflict themselves.

Private schools will continue to include To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn in their REQUIRED course work and great learning and discussion will result.
In the 1970s catcher in the rye was the most banned book. Particularly among conservative communities and Christian private schools.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
*sigh* I think it's a shame--TKAM is one of my favorite books, to the point I'm on my fifth copy of the book because I wore out the other four. It's one of those books that it seems every time you read it, you pick up on a nuance maybe you didn't before. For example, when I read it in 6th grade, I didn't quite catch the gist of Mayella talking about her father kissing her--I was 12, and sexual abuse was only just beginning to get talked about publicly at the time. So I thought it was like any parent kissing their child goodnight. Then as I got older, I realized what that meant. And then, as I got even older, I caught on to the fact that Mayella's mother had been dead long enough that even Mayella didn't remember her very well.....but it was implied some of the younger Ewell children were *significantly* younger than Mayella.......

Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
To Kill a Mockingbird was a ground breaking novel about racism long before liberals started losing their minds over it.

This is just disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies