Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,651,527 times

Advertisements

Depends on your idea of equality.

If its some dystopian Harrison Bergeron scenario then yes, it is oppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 12:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,441,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Source?
The same one that makes you think some white conservative males don't act this way.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:27 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The same one that makes you think some white conservative males don't act this way.

Apart from sex, conservationism is generally associated with self-sufficiency.

a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change; specifically : such a philosophy calling for lower taxes, limited government regulation of business and investing, a strong national defense, and individual financial responsibility for personal needs (such as retirement income or health-care coverage)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conservatism

As for equality, since I am a member of the only group in the United States still legally discriminated against in employment and educational opportunities, I most certainly do support equal opportunity and eagerly await the day when I will also be equal under the law.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,492,438 times
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdeere View Post
Do you feel it's accurate? I think so, a perfect example is all the men that complain about women being anything other than a 50s housewife.
Some people would call the abilty to stay at home and look after the house and kids to be a privelage.i did this for 18 moths while my wife worked, and found it to be the easiest , least stressful 18 months of my adult life.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-08-2018 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,579,151 times
I think the premise, as described in the thread title, is worth discussing. Unfortunately, the text within the first post set the wrong tone by immediately attacking a specific group. Not a very good way to initiate an honest (not to mention civil) conversation, IMO.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,344,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilettaBellezza Italiana View Post
Would white American consider me white?

If no then mi Mediterranean tan is too hot for them.

I look hot driving Alfa Romeo beside the Amalfi Coast.

I am not a victim.
Weren't you "Italiana Ed Eleganza" yesterday?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,229,916 times
Quote:
Does seem like a straw man/woman argument.

I would say self-serving too since rejecting the false choice offered (June Cleaver, take it or leave it) would limit other options for men.

Today, I don't know any men that expect their wife/girlfriend to be anything except financially independent.

Most men I know take the position that if women want to be treated as equals, they can sign-up for all the bull **** that comes along with it.
I don't want the person I vowed to take care of to work a single day in her entire life. I'd have a real problem if she decided to go back to work one day because that is not the life I worked so hard to built for us. I knew long before I ever met my wife that I didn't want to marry someone who was more interested in making someone else rich than raising our children. And NONE of that makes my wife less equal that me, what an absurd line of thought.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 14 days ago)

29,538 posts, read 16,518,482 times
Quote:

As for equality, since I am a member of the only group in the United States still legally discriminated against in employment and educational opportunities, I most certainly do support equal opportunity and eagerly await the day when I will also be equal under the law.
there is no group that can be discriminated against , in those contexts .

Old 02-08-2018, 03:41 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,164,035 times
Yes, absolutely right...which is why I ignore those whiners.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 AM

334 posts, read 285,466 times
the current administration is weak on terrorism from white supremacists.

They are the biggest danger to America. We need to arm ourselves NOW to fight these homegrown terrorists. The administration is much much weaker than the Obama administration which was much better at dealing with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies