Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM

174 posts, read 113,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, if you're unfortunate enough to be lying on a gurney someday in need of a life-saving operation you'll have no problem signing all your assets over to the surgeon because his little medical group needs to increase their profits, right?

I'm sure their price will be aligned to whatever the next surgeon is charging.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
because you are less likely to get sick, so insurance can actually make a profit off you. if you are already sick, why are we forcing insurance companies to take a loss?

and it's pretty easy to not get sick.
There is absolutely nothing that makes anyone less likely to get sick forever. The healthiest person can suddenly have an accident or something that affects the health and leaves them chronically ill for the rest of their lives at any time.

And example: A weekend barbecue. The guy doing the grilling squirts a little too much fire starter on the charcoal, it blows up, and burns his face. And it also scorches his lungs. The face heals, but the lungs don't, and the bad lungs make the heart work harder. The lungs may eventually heal, but have damaged the heart while they were healing. The unfortunate guy now has to recover from a burned face, lung damage, and an over-worked heart.

Stuff like this happens all the time, right along with more common stuff like cancer, which can hit any very healthy person suddenly. That they are healthy makes no difference. Once something becomes chronic, a person will need health insurance in place before the illness happens.

If a healthy person is insured, the odds are they will be still able to live productive lives with a chronic condition, but only for as long as they get regular medical attention.

Someone who was already sick before the grill blew up in his face probably wouldn't live as long as if he was healthy, so a sick person is less likely to cost us as much as a healthy person would over time.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
but you can't profit off some unhealthy baby, so why should the company take on the risk? plus if everyone is actually paying, the price will go down.
Google insurance, or stop posting ignorance.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is absolutely nothing that makes anyone less likely to get sick forever. The healthiest person can suddenly have an accident or something that affects the health and leaves them chronically ill for the rest of their lives at any time.

And example: A weekend barbecue. The guy doing the grilling squirts a little too much fire starter on the charcoal, it blows up, and burns his face. And it also scorches his lungs. The face heals, but the lungs don't, and the bad lungs make the heart work harder. The lungs may eventually heal, but have damaged the heart while they were healing. The unfortunate guy now has to recover from a burned face, lung damage, and an over-worked heart.

Stuff like this happens all the time, right along with more common stuff like cancer, which can hit any very healthy person suddenly. That they are healthy makes no difference. Once something becomes chronic, a person will need health insurance in place before the illness happens.

If a healthy person is insured, the odds are they will be still able to live productive lives with a chronic condition, but only for as long as they get regular medical attention.

Someone who was already sick before the grill blew up in his face probably wouldn't live as long as if he was healthy, so a sick person is less likely to cost us as much as a healthy person would over time.

Don't bother, the OP is either a troll or willfully obtuse. I'm not going to waste any more time with this.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It’s called “health insurance” not “sick insurance.” Insuring healthy people is good business. Insuring sick people is not.

That’s why civilized countries have publicly-funded universal healthcare systems. They realize that for-profit healthcare doesn’t work for anyone other than the health insurance companies.
No two countries do Universal Healthcare the same way. Some rely mostly on public insurance. Some rely entirely on private insurance, cradle to grave. Most are a mixed bag as is the US , despite healthcare is not a right.

What they have in common is healthcare as a right, an insurance mandate and subsidy for low/ no income people.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
I'm sure their price will be aligned to whatever the next surgeon is charging.

And if you can't afford those charges you'll just die a preventable death. But not to worry, we got lotsa $$$ for asinine wars of choice of no benefit to the country as long as the MIC makes its profits.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
So, if you're unfortunate enough to be lying on a gurney someday in need of a life-saving operation you'll have no problem signing all your assets over to the surgeon because his little medical group needs to increase their profits, right?
There's a choice in that appeal to emotion you just threw out. Tell the surgeons to go pound salt and die with your dignity and finances intact.

I am married. I have nieces and nephews aplenty. I also have a pretty sizable nest egg. Now, let us say I am the patient lying on your hypothetical gurney who is being offered the Faustian bargain these mustache twirling, diabolical surgeons have conjured up. My sizable nest egg goes to them, to buy new carpet for their evil lair and resod the 14th fairway on their evil golf course and buy them all shiny new evil vehicles, in exchange for my miserable, soon_to_be_bankrupt existence. Or I can thwart their evil plans and say nope, trading that miserable, bankrupt future for my wife and my nieces/nephews to be able to put my sizable nest egg to much better and more productive use.

That's an easy choice for me. My wife will put that money to better use and I will be more fondly remembered. My life, my money, my choice on what to do with either.

These "get government involved" discussions want there to be a third choice - the evil doctors get what they want, I get what I want, and everyone in America gets billed so both the evil doctors and I can have our cake and eat it too.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
but you can't profit off some unhealthy baby, so why should the company take on the risk? plus if everyone is actually paying, the price will go down.
I hate to break this to you, but all business ventures involve risk.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:22 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
And if you can't afford those charges you'll just die a preventable death. But not to worry, we got lotsa $$$ for asinine wars of choice of no benefit to the country as long as the MIC makes its profits.
You'll die at some point either way. No amount of healthcare will grant immortality. You do know that, right?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:23 PM

174 posts, read 113,128 times
Quote:

yes. I don't believe in leaching off other people/corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies