Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

I read this and totally laughed out loud.

Boycott the Republican Party

The Republican Party, as an institution, has become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our democracy.

We’re thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the country from Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the Republican Party from itself, is to do as Toren Beasley did: vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes (very preferably the former).

They want mindless, mechanical voters... mind-numbed robots. Is that how they see their constituents?

We’re proposing something different. We’re suggesting that in today’s situation, people should vote a straight Democratic ticket even if they are not partisan, and despite their policy views. They should vote against Republicans in a spirit that is, if you will, prepartisan and prepolitical. Their attitude should be: The rule of law is a threshold value in American politics, and a party that endangers this value disqualifies itself, period.

Let me get this straight... people should vote Democrat because the rule of law is of value.

WOW

For all of the reasons that people give to vote Democrat, the law is at the bottom of the barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The Republican Party, as an institution, has become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our democracy.

We’re thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the country from Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the Republican Party from itself, is to do as Toren Beasley did: vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes (very preferably the former).
They want mindless, mechanical voters... mind-numbed robots. Is that how they see their constituents?

We’re proposing something different. We’re suggesting that in today’s situation, people should vote a straight Democratic ticket even if they are not partisan, and despite their policy views. They should vote against Republicans in a spirit that is, if you will, prepartisan and prepolitical. Their attitude should be: The rule of law is a threshold value in American politics, and a party that endangers this value disqualifies itself, period.
Let me get this straight... people should vote Democrat because the rule of law is of value.

WOW

For all of the reasons that people give to vote Democrat, the law is at the bottom of the barrel.
How many dems have you voted for. I've read your posts. My guess is zero. If so does that not make you a mindless robot?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
If some of the local moderate republicans start winning I could see voting for them, but if Trumpublicans take the nominations I'll likely vote democrat.

There is one local republican running I would be really happy to vote for, but I doubt he's going to win.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
The Atlantic is a left leaning publication, just as there are many right leaning publications.

I see this as a satirical article advising Democrats to mimick the lockstop voting patterns of Republicans, who tend to be more loyal to their party, above all else, compared to Democrats, who aren't as cohesive of a group.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
How many dems have you voted for. I've read your posts. My guess is zero. If so does that not make you a mindless robot?
Hey.. hey.. - You don't know me.

In some local races, I have voted Democrat. I gave credit to a Minnesota Dem who correctly spelled out why they lost the election last year.

Even if I didn't vote Democrat - I would NEVER advocate doing anything mindlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The Atlantic is a left leaning publication, just as there are many right leaning publications.

With that in mind, I see this as a satirical article advising Democrats to mimick the lockstop voting patterns of Republicans, who tend to be more loyal to their party, above all else, compared to Democrats, who aren't as cohesive of a group.
I hope you are right, but with some of the stuff they put out - I would hold my breath on that assumption.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If some of the local moderate republicans start winning I could see voting for them, but if Trumpublicans take the nominations I'll likely vote democrat.

There is one local republican running I would be really happy to vote for, but I doubt he's going to win.
1) There really aren't very many moderate Republicans in play anymore, and 2) their party affiliation, should they get into office, virtually assures that they're going to be the allies of the modern Republican wingnut in virtually every legislative and administrative issue.

That's why, if you care about your country's future, you won't give a candidate who's a Republican your vote for awhile. Maybe someday, when they come to their senses, but not now. These days you have to vote the party, not the person.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
1) There really aren't very many moderate Republicans in play anymore, and 2) their party affiliation, should they get into office, virtually assures that they're going to be the allies of the modern Republican wingnut in virtually every legislative and administrative issue.

That's why, if you care about your country's future, you won't give a candidate who's a Republican your vote for awhile. Maybe someday, when they come to their senses, but not now. These days you have to vote the party, not the person.
What's a moderate?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post

I don't believe that. In some Texas elections there are nothing but republicans, so it comes down to different shades of red. I try to go with the lighter shades if at all possible. Democrats are so unlikely to win that I think voting for more centrist republicans makes sense.

Hell, I even saw a candidate running as a republican that spoke favorably of Bernie Sanders. That alone tells me she's not really a republican, but she thinks it's the most plausible way to get elected here.

Then again, I rarely vote for the candidates that win because I tend to favor the underdogs, or the folks that seem to have real substance, but just aren't politically savvy, or don't have the money to get their names out there. I guess that's because I try to research them as much as possible.

Seems like around here if you have a candidate that highlights their qualifications like education, previous work history to be a Comptroller of Public Accounts, and an opposing candidate that highlights how Pro-2nd Amendment, Pro-Life, Pro-Christian, Pro-Family Values, Anti-tax they are, the latter will probably win.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:24 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Once upon a time, long ago and far away, in my younger years, I voted almost a straight party line democrat ticket.
But then, due in large part to the great Mike Mansfield, I realized that many (if not most) democrats didn't think the way I did on many issues (gun control, for one), and I started looking closer at the republican candidates.
Then came Bill Clinton...
Since then, I have been pretty much a straight party line republican.
The democrats, whether they will admit it or not, are to blame for the change!
However, since we have an open primary, I just might vote the democrat ballot so I can vote against the democrat in the U. S. Senate race!

Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

WOW

"
Feedback

The Atlantic Media Bias | AllSides

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/atlantic

The Atlantic media bias rating is Lean Left."

Articles from liberal media do NOT surprise me.

They are based in Boston, Mass.

Another far liberal city and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies