Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times

Advertisements

Let

What caused them to write the article was a long-economic report on cancelling student debt from an extremely expensive liberal arts university in New York.

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/rpr_2_6.pdf

Supposedly, if the federal government just canceled the $1.4 trillion in outstanding debt that cause GDP to rise, unemployment to go down hundreds of thousands of new jobs yearly.

I think it is odd how many these students spent nearly a decade running up bills going to a four-year and university and graduate school, while enjoying luxury dorms and chef-prepared expensive meals plus took out lots of loans for living expenses for many years and now they want it canceled because they can't the home of their dreams or they can't afford every new top of the line phone or electric car that comes out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Democrats jump on that bandwagon for votes, especially because it might increase voter participation rates for one of their choice demographics that tends to vote for them by wide margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
You obviously attained no further education.

Luxury dorms...

Gourmet meals...

Take out as much as they want for living...

One sec while I go roll on the floor laughing...

Okay... that's over.

Cancelling student debt would probably be a bigger boost for the economy than any tax bill. I'd be totally for it, but government no longer guarantees student loans after and bankruptcy applies to student loans same as all other loans after. Solve the debt bubble and cost for education goes down at the same time!

Debt for a degree has replaced debt for a house, which is far better debt for both the individual and the economy. Houses always need work.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
That's a great way to create a depression. Both the crash of 1929 and of 2008 were basically driven by the collapse of credit markets. The US itself was threatened in the early days by credit crashes, but was saved from being stillborn by the efforts of Alexander Hamilton, who was the first Treasury Secretary.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:16 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
You want to get more millenials working? Then make it easier for boomers to retire. Jack up their social security payments and make Medicare part B free. Will it be expensive, hell yes. But it will open the hiring floodgates for millenials.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Ok but I will expect a refund of the 80 K I worked to pay off and an opportunity to apply to Harvard which I didn't apply to because I didn't want the expense.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Sorry, we already gave all our tax dollars to illegal immigrants.

Nothing left for Americans. Including jobs.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
It's possible something drastic like this may come up at some point if the economy really started to hit the skids and cause unrest. A "debt jubilee" is what they call it. This would literally require an act of Congress though, and I wouldn't look for it to happen with Republicans in control. I wouldn't look for it with Democrats either though since they are just as bought and paid for by the banks who own the student loan market as the Republicans. (Bail outs for Wall Street, fooey for you unimportant peons!)

Old 02-10-2018, 02:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Ok but I will expect a refund of the 80 K I worked to pay off and an opportunity to apply to Harvard which I didn't apply to because I didn't want the expense.
Nope! They already swindled you. You ain't getting all the money back you paid into Social Security but will probably never get either.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Nope. I paid mine off and budgeted for it for many many years. They get no sympathy from me.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
If a kid wants a decent education from a state university he should have the option to do 2 years of military service in exchange for 4 years of tuition and room and board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies