Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

An NBC Asian-expert correspondent said:

Quote:
[Japan] which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation."
It caused such an outrage that NBC apologized just a few hours later and a major Korean media source replied: "His incorrect and insensitive comment about Korea's history has enraged many of our people."

I have known 4 people who have spent a decent amount of time in South Korea and all 4 have stated how people are very openly racist against Japanese (and other groups). I am surprised that NBC's Asian expert wouldn't have known this, or did, but tried to be PC as if it would fly there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/win...cid=spartanntp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I'm not an Asia expert, but I certainly do know that the South Koreans have very long memories regarding Japan. To be sure, many of them have visited Japan and have enjoyed themselves there. But even so, the memories live on.

NBC's comment pricked the pride of the South Korean people, and it negates the incredible strides that that nation made in rising from the ruins of war to economic powerhouse -- without Japan's help. But I'm not surprised. NBC doesn't seem to be particularly interested in looking beneath the surface of the nation they're broadcasting from.

Oh, and by the way, NBC announcers: the vowel sound in the second syllable in Pyeongchang is pronounced "ah," as in the sound you make when the doctor puts the tongue depressor in your mouth. It's not the sound that rhymes with "clang," like they keep saying it.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
It doesn't look like liberal media is going home with a gold medal.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
I don't think the American commentator was trying to be PC. It's certainly possible that every Korean he has encountered was sophisticated enough not to bash Japan in conversations with him and to acknowledge that Japan has been an example for Korea in those areas. And of course there are many other Koreans who are less sophisticated. The PC line on this is that Korea and China, having been victims of oppression in the war, control what may be said about it, now and forever, and that's the line NBC towed with their apology.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
They only occupied the Philippines for a couple years and my Filipino father-in-law hated the “Japs” (his word) till his dying day.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't think the American commentator was trying to be PC. It's certainly possible that every Korean he has encountered was sophisticated enough not to bash Japan in conversations with him and to acknowledge that Japan has been an example for Korea in those areas. And of course there are many other Koreans who are less sophisticated. The PC line on this is that Korea and China, having been victims of oppression in the war, control what may be said about it, now and forever, and that's the line NBC towed with their apology.
Wow that sounds very familiar except it's not contained to just Israel but just about every white country .

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I disagree.

This guy is their "Asian correspondent."

It is literally his job to know.

How could he not know that there is pervasive anti-Japanese sentiments throughout South Korea? Unless he is horrible at his job and knows little about Asia and should then be fired.

I think he was floating BS, in an effort to put a nice spin (PC) on Japanese-Korean relations, rather than stating the truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They only occupied the Philippines for a couple years and my Filipino father-in-law hated the “Japs” (his word) till his dying day.
My grandfather fought against Japan and was wounded in combat during a Japanese night raid. He had some issues too.

It is a different Japan today, though. I have no problems with Japan.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I disagree.

This guy is their "Asian correspondent."

It is literally his job to know.

How could he not know that there is pervasive anti-Japanese sentiments throughout South Korea? Unless he is horrible at his job and knows little about Asia and should then be fired.

I think he was floating BS, in an effort to put a nice spin (PC) on Japanese-Korean relations, rather than stating the truth...

My grandfather fought against Japan and was wounded in combat during a Japanese night raid. He had some issues too.

It is a different Japan today, though. I have no problems with Japan.
Looking at his Wikipedia page... yes, he has extensive experience in Asia and so probably should have known better than to say "every Korean will tell you". But it is certainly true that Japan has been "a cultural, technological and economic example" important to Korea's transformation and I think the well-informed Koreans he usually encounters would acknowledge that.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM

736 posts, read 353,555 times
Quote:
An NBC Asian-expert correspondent said:

It caused such an outrage that NBC apologized just a few hours later and a major Korean media source replied: "His incorrect and insensitive comment about Korea's history has enraged many of our people."

I have known 4 people who have spent a decent amount of time in South Korea and all 4 have stated how people are very openly racist against Japanese (and other groups). I am surprised that NBC's Asian expert wouldn't have known this, or did, but tried to be PC as if it would fly there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/win...cid=spartanntp

LOL. Chinese or Koreans get offended easily by the Rising Sun on the flag of Imperial Japanese navy. The flag of the Imperial Japanese navy is banned at multinational sporting events. People get into fights over that flag. In China or Korea a person can be attacked for wearing such a symbol.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
[Japan] which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation."
Anti-Japanese sentiment or not, the statement is true. Korea did not model themselves after China, or Vietnam or North Korea or Laos or Cambodia or the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies