Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times

Advertisements

Shut it down and return everyone's contributions. Ponzi scheme. Bernie Madoff is serving like a thousand years in prison for running a much smaller scam that hurt far fewer people (and most of the money he "took" - which was more actually just like "money the investors never actually made but thought they did", was recovered, leaving few real actual "losses")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Shut it down and return everyone's contributions. Ponzi scheme. Bernie Madoff is serving like a thousand years in prison for running a much smaller scam that hurt far fewer people (and most of the money he "took" - which was more actually just like "money the investors never actually made but thought they did", was recovered, leaving few real actual "losses")

Write your senators and congressman.

They need your input on this.

This guy is on your side.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Retired at 62, two years ago. Waiting till 66 to begin collecting. Who wants to work into their seventies?

It wouldn't be by choice and would be so depressing. Basically working until a few years before you die! Not a plan.

Originally SS was a pool that got invested for you by the government. That would be YOUR money in there just like at your bank.Remember SS was intended as SUPPLEMENT only.
We get the government we elect.

Best that the current SS system be phased out to private savings where we could make money on our own, and we are responsible for our own retirement.

Many can retire before 75, but delay collecting until then, but that would assume bridge funds to live on while you get old.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:34 PM

639 posts, read 376,326 times
"The Social Security Act was passed in 1935 guaranteeing retirement pensions to all Americans over the age of 65. Sounds like a good deal — except for the fact that the average American life expectancy back in '35 was 61.7 years."

https://www.newsmax.com/armstrongwil.../19/id/537472/

"The statistic shows the average life expectancy in North America for those born in 2017, by gender and region. In Canada, the average life expectancy was 79 years for males and 81 years for females in 2017."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...north-america/

According to the data BASED ON THE INTENT OF THE PROGRAM, the ratio of life expectancy to benefits is 0.95, so 84 years of age

Obviously the system was intended to EXTRACT money from the public and not to pay out.

Don't expect the Boomers to vote themselves out of retirement after neglecting the data for over 30 years of being in power.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Unless I hit the lotto or come into some decent money another way I don't see myself really getting to retire as a whole. I worked so many jobs when I was younger that paid under the table and moved too much to keep a job very long it wasn't until I it my 30's that I stayed in one place very long.

So either way I'm screwed.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Unless I hit the lotto or come into some decent money another way I don't see myself really getting to retire as a whole. I worked so many jobs when I was younger that paid under the table and moved too much to keep a job very long it wasn't until I it my 30's that I stayed in one place very long.

So either way I'm screwed.
and that is why "off the book" or "under the table" is illegal...... you are stealing from the government and your self, if you are wanting to actually be eligible for SS

too many people intertwine the "off the books" with illegal aliens, but it is a national problem of all citizenry

Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and that is why "off the book" or "under the table" is illegal...... you are stealing from the government and your self, if you are wanting to actually be eligible for SS

too many people intertwine the "off the books" with illegal aliens, but it is a national problem of all citizenry

And how long has the government been stealing from everyone of us?? I was young and naïve at the time the night clubs I worked at paid partly in cash and then in the form of a check I had MANY odd jobs traveling around the country $200-300 here and there kept from off the streets and a roof over my head
I didn't beg nor did I sponge off anyone I worked for what I got.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
"The Social Security Act was passed in 1935 guaranteeing retirement pensions to all Americans over the age of 65. Sounds like a good deal — except for the fact that the average American life expectancy back in '35 was 61.7 years."
But that is misleading because the life expectancy number was largely due to infant death rates which have improved a lot. There were plenty of people over 65, thus the need for it in the first place.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:05 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Does anyone see the absurdity of a program designed for retirement that has become so dysfunctional that you now need to delay or keep people from retiring so that it may survive?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
And how long has the government been stealing from everyone of us?? I was young and naïve at the time the night clubs I worked at paid partly in cash and then in the form of a check I had MANY odd jobs traveling around the country $200-300 here and there kept from off the streets and a roof over my head
I didn't beg nor did I sponge off anyone I worked for what I got.
yes you did what you had to, in order to survive

the point I am making is that under the federal "income/payroll tax" system the system can only survive if EVERYONE plays

by working off the books... your declared income is lower than actually received... your payroll deductions are lower than the true 8% (plus employer side) of your true income.... the government is not getting its full amount of income tax, and the government is not getting the full amount of payroll (SS/medicare) contributions.... therefore the government is not getting ENOUGH to support the budget/ss/medicare

this is the problem with taxing income/payroll... too much is not/never reported... this is why I feel we should go to a consumption tax instead of an income tax......

www.fairtax.org

under a consumption tax, revenue to the government could be around 5+ trillion, enough to properly pay SS or even a basic wage, plus afford a singlepayer medical system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies