Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm wondering if some of the worst problems are in states with lax labor law? In most states what you described would be against the law, no employer would ever try it. You can't just reduce wages retroactively, I'm wondering if Kentucky law actually allows for that?
For hourly employees, mw is the only DOL mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It does. How much corporations pay is based on supply and demand. If you have a surplus of workers; you can pay less and get away with it. If you are competing for workers; you have to pay more. So if you flood the labor market with illegal immigrants, even if they do not work at Amazon, they still adversely affect the pay in any region. Even excessive legal immigration hurts American workers. I also understand that we have many Republicans that bark up the same tree.

!
Amen.

I wish we went back to 1924-1965 immigration levels, period.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Of course it's BS. Also, it is the far RIGHT who loves unaccountable big businesses and "letting business do whatever they want."

The left wants more supply (immigrants) which crushes demand (labor).

This rightie wants no such goosing of supply.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The left wants more supply (immigrants) which crushes demand (labor).

This rightie wants no such goosing of supply.
Same with this righty. Democrats, liberals want nearly open borders to foreign workers and immigration just like Bezos. They can't wiggle out of that.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Same with this righty. Democrats, liberals want nearly open borders to foreign workers and immigration just like Bezos. They can't wiggle out of that.
Hardly anyone wants 'open borders'.

Christ get a grip or a new talking point.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
sigh Companies do not have drivers drive the same distance when working 20 hours and 40 hours. One drives less in a 20 hour work week since the amount of driving is based on the route and not how many hours one works. How in the world did you ever come up with this?
Here's a hint. Work somewhere else unless all one wants is part time. I know that drivers who work for Amazon and Walmart work over 20 hours.
Are you going to tell me that a bunch of illegals are driving for Amazon? Without a license? Or do they work other types of jobs? Your example isn't reality. How could they do that?
That said, I fully understand supply and demand. I want to stop all immigration until Americans are taken care of. At a minimum don't give them welfare. That'll reduce immigration quite a bit.

If it's a liberal thing then why this statement? "I also understand that we have many Republicans that bark up the same tree." Maybe progressive is the term you're looking for? More government involvement.
You took me wrong! I was talking about your trip to and from work; not how many miles you drive while at work or your route. The $.61/mile is what it cost you to operate your own vehicle to get to work!

Then my statement on illegal immigrants you did not read. I had qualified my statement with this sentence: "So if you flood the labor market with illegal immigrants, even if they do not work at Amazon, they still adversely affect the pay in any region." If they take the job at 7 Eleven or local gas station; they could release one more legal resident to compete for work at Amazon. That is the way the game is played. It keeps wages down in any area of our Country where it is prevalent and unchecked.

And, yes, I blame the Republicans; but the Republicans are not the ones that are currently grandstanding to open our doors even further. At least some of them want to cut chain migration, secure our borders, eliminate sanctuary cities, and maybe even tack on E-Verify.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Hardly anyone wants 'open borders'.

Christ get a grip or a new talking point.
The border is open to global mass immigration and chain immigration, more amnesties on the horizon for illegal migrants, mass employment visas. Call it partially open borders if it makes you feel better, but liberals don't want to restrict any of it and usually push to increase it.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/amazon...hristmas-rush/

I guess for those brutal conditions they are offering a whopping $12 an hour in Irvine, California

Interesting, how liberals condemn Dollar Stores but yet I heavily doubt they as brutal of working conditions as Amazon does.

https://search.amazondelivers.jobs/j...a/3413/6963198

Wow, $240 a week in Orange County is what Amazon Prime is offering for their "Prime Now Associates".

Love how Amazon puts such a hip twist on a $12 wage in Orange County, California. Up to 20 hours a week also wow!

Wonder how many Amazon employees have earned-income tax credits, food stamps, WIC and other programs despite reputation as a compassionate organization like Amazon.

I love how Amazon is so beloved by liberals, based in the most liberal of cities. I wonder how many of those corporate employees at their headquarters in Seattle vote for only Democrats or politicians who want to increase it to $15 while sortation associate classified show pay of $12 in Orange County, California.
Where did you hear that Amazon is some kind of liberal go to -- lol. My conservative friends love their Alexa (me I'm a Google Home girl -but I'm an independent -- lol).

Trump doesn't like Bezos but conservatives love their Amazon...so do liberals, so do people who don't give a royal !@#$ about politics.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:12 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Stupid thread. If the OP thinks only "liberals" love Amazon, then they live in a bubble.
Well, the OP does live in a bubble. Take a walk through the OP's previous threads he/she has started and you will see it is a very rigid bubble. It is more like a box.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
The Dollar Store is awesome. I rarely if ever order from Amazon, and certainly don't "love" it.

I am so tired of this. Tired, tired, tired of this. i'm sick and tired of being told by people WHO DON'T FREAKING KNOW ME what I think/feel/say/love/hate simply because I'm a liberal. Stop it. Not all liberals like the same ****. What is with you people that do this? This nonsense is constant.

"Beloved" by liberals my ass. Not this one, pal.
The dollar store? I'm a liberal and no one ever told me that I should hate the Dollar Store I go there all the time. I guess someone forgot to send us the memo huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies