Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We seem to have lost our freedom to the Internet.
Everyone has become a slave of their smart devices.

Where is the freedom?
Quite true.

Case in point, on more than one occasion my wife and I would go out to dinner, now during dinner I am not using a smart phone at all, but my wife will spend half of the time looking at her phone, and on the rare occasions that she is not, my wife will be like why are you starring at me, and I am like I am seated across from you; I am either looking at you; or I am looking around in the room.

I don't think most people could go more than a hour with out looking at their phone; I know that is not the case for me, I can go days without touching my phone. I can get together with family and play cards, and not even have on the radio.

Most people have freely given personal information over to social media site, "oh look at what I am now doing": They have become slaves of a sort to social media and their smart devices.

1.) Who cares, I know my life is not drastically altered knowing what someone else is doing; at that particular moment in time.

2.) It is no one else's business in any regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:35 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,167 posts, read 13,455,286 times
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter".

Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
to me, it sounds like that person is unwilling to make a commitment or even consider other options.

"set me free or kill me, I don't really care one way or the other"

Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Today, that means you must be insane and have a death wish. You go on the terrorist watch list.
No, seriously. It is long embedded in our historic pride in the experiment.
Does it have any meaning what so ever to you today, or do you have a hard time understanding the meaning.
Why didn't you choose death when Obama took away your liberties

Old 02-11-2018, 07:14 AM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing. Sounds great though.

Most Americans will exchange liberty for money or safety in a heartbeat. That’s why Guantanamo is still open, and we still have the Patriot Act and draconian drug
laws.
You never cease to amaze me. Your slave ancestors were paid and safe, huh?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:33 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter".

Winston Churchill
Gotta love Churchill... and I thank God every day that our Founders gave us a republic.

(you also gotta wonder why the Left want to turn America into a pure democracy.)

Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Nat Turner.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We seem to have lost our freedom to the Internet.
Everyone has become a slave of their smart devices.

Where is the freedom?

I know, you can turn the dang thing off and travel the world and as soon as you turn it back on, it uploads where you have been to the "cloud"

Old 02-11-2018, 01:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Today, that means you must be insane and have a death wish. You go on the terrorist watch list.
Does it have any meaning what so ever to you today, or do you have a hard time understanding the meaning.

If I can't live free then I don't want to live....what's hard to understand about that?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
NH license plate = "live free or die" I guess this concept of freedom and liberty would have to be more clearly defined before I would self terminate.
How about you BB what would you consider a lack of liberty to the point death would be a preferable option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies