Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 05:38 PM

393 posts, read 306,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Doesn't matter to me. I'm still glad she embarrassed the church by publicly talking about their cheap, stingy attitude.

I've had friends who wouldn't tip when dining out and I was so embarrassed for them, that I stopped eating out with them altogether. Coincidentally, they were also very religious. They don't see anything wrong with spending $25 on lunch and leaving no tip, at a nice restaurant.

What does dining IN have to do with this? AGAIN, you are comparing oranges to apples here. Dining inside is *******NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME AS TO-GO ORDERS**********!

She didn't embarrass the church. She embarrassed HERSELF. Now, who is going to hire her now? Not many employers want to hire someone that can't be trusted with confidential information. That goes for any kind of job in the future she goes into assuming she is going to college or not going to do this type of job the rest of her life.

It's also not about being cheap not to tip for a to-go order, it's about *********TIPPING FAIRLY*************! If McDonald's cashiers got tips for to-go orders, as long as the service was good, I would **DEFINITELY** tip them **AND** to-go servers for to-go orders at non-fast food restaurants. The thing is, the employers made things unfair by not letting BOTH employees accept tips for doing the ********SAME AMOUNT OF LABOR*****(sometimes fast food workers do more for no tip). It's not fair if I can't tip the McDonald's cashier for my to-go order, but I tip the Outback to-go server for my to-go order. It's just not fair. What they get paid per hour is their issue between the worker and their employer. The customer should pay the **SAME PAY*** for the ******SAME JOB******* to be ********EQUAL AND FAIR TO *************ALL WORKERS IN THE U.S.********! WHY do you want tipping to be unfair, huh? So you can't tip at McDonald's, why would you give a tip to a to-go server? The pay should remain 100% the *****SAME RATE**** since it's the *******************SAME JOB****************************! You cannot say ONE thing more that the to-go server does that McDonald's cashiers don't do. I have had McDonald's cashiers actually squirt mac sauce in a cup for me, the *********CASHIER************ did this, NOT people in the kitchen. They made my shake and put whipped cream and a cherry. All of these for NO TIP, yet, STARBUCKS employees gets tips, which is VERY UNFAIR. If you can't tip one, you shouldn't be able to tip the other.

WHY can't you tip ******FAIRLY********* and leave the unfairness to their employer to sort out, huh?

Old 02-18-2018, 06:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This wasn't a "sit down". Nobody adds a gratuity to a carry out order.
Not true. Do you know anything at all about Outback steak House? You do realize that the "carry out" is on the side of the building and they .....THE WAIT STAFF.... comes out to your car and yes while it is recommended and much quicker to call ahead that is not always the case.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not true. Do you know anything at all about Outback steak House? You do realize that the "carry out" is on the side of the building and they .....THE WAIT STAFF.... comes out to your car and yes while it is recommended and much quicker to call ahead that is not always the case.
I chuckle when people pretend to counter what you said and then don't even address what you said.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
This wasn't a "sit down". Nobody adds a gratuity to a carry out order.

While I hate to prove you wrong, here is proof where you are wrong with some restaurants:

At the bottom of the menu:

Quote:
A 10% Service Charge is added to all "To-go" orders for the servers who prepare them.
I guess you can say they don't call it a "tip", they call it a "service charge."

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
While I hate to prove you wrong, here is proof where you are wrong with some restaurants:

I guess you can say they don't call it a "tip", they call it a "service charge."
Thanks. I appreciate when people do the work to prove their point.

I would never pay an extra 10% to eat at home.

A restaurant needs to pay their employee's to prepare the food. I'm pretty amazed at the number of people who are OK with a business abusing their employees in this way.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate when people do the work to prove their point.

I would never pay an extra 10% to eat at home.

A restaurant needs to pay their employee's to prepare the food. I'm pretty amazed at the number of people who are OK with a business abusing their employees in this way.
With Waffle House, some of the servers have to actually cook and I have even heard some have had to wash dishes, so I don't know why they can't get min. wage(assuming they can't)?

I think some situations are unfair. My mom and dad once in a while go to Waffle House. My dad sometimes gets an extra waffle "to-go", but he's dining still inside to wait for it. I don't feel that they should get charged 10%, because he is still dining inside at the time of the to-go order. While it is a to-go order, they are still dining inside. If I were them, I would have ordered a lot of food at the beginning and just asked for boxes towards the end for my leftovers. Then my dad wouldn't have been charged 10%. I don't understand how the restaurant gets away with charging it if my dad and mom was still dining inside? I don't see a difference in ordering a whole bunch of food at the beginning and then asking for some boxes. They'd be doing the same thing except paying less.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:

I would say it is borderline, no make that full on fraud to advertise a false price in order to trap those who miss the fine print unless they carefully study a receipt. If it is forced upon you it is not a "tip".

Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
With Waffle House, some of the servers have to actually cook and I have even heard some have had to wash dishes, so I don't know why they can't get min. wage(assuming they can't)?
Hopefully someone does whatever is necessary to call that into question soon. If I knew that to be a fact, I would avoid Waffle House. Not that I eat there very often. Pay your help.

Quote:
I think some situations are unfair. My mom and dad once in a while go to Waffle House. My dad sometimes gets an extra waffle "to-go", but he's dining still inside to wait for it. I don't feel that they should get charged 10%, because he is still dining inside at the time of the to-go order. While it is a to-go order, they are still dining inside. If I were them, I would have ordered a lot of food at the beginning and just asked for boxes towards the end for my leftovers. Then my dad wouldn't have been charged 10%. I don't understand how the restaurant gets away with charging it if my dad and mom was still dining inside? I don't see a difference in ordering a whole bunch of food at the beginning and then asking for some boxes. They'd be doing the same thing except paying less.
That wouldn't bother me as much as not fairly paying the help. I'm not sure what a waitress is going to do with the extra 12 cent gratuity.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I never thought about what a tip would be on a huge take out order. Take out is not meant for tipping because you are getting your own food. I have never tipped on a take out even though they have tip jars out. it just is meant for in-house servers, whom i do tip bigly.

Even though this particular order was big, it was to go to many people, so in other words, rather than these many people each individually ordering take out, it was lumped into one big order. I dont think that changes anything just because all those people got take out in one lump order.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I would say it is borderline, no make that full on fraud to advertise a false price in order to trap those who miss the fine print
In all honesty, it's not fraud or false pricing, because it does state it if you READ the menu.

Quote:
unless they carefully study a receipt.

Every customer should be. You don't realize HOW MANY TIMES me and my husband have had wrong prices on our check that were overcharges.

No customer should pay any bill until they actually go line by line to make sure they aren't overcharged. We have had extra items before we didn't order as well. Also, once charged for a salad without an entrée, but I ordered an entrée.

What we do is ask if we can keep a menu at our table and then when we get the check go item by item, which some places don't list soft drinks for example or some bar drinks.

Quote:
If it is forced upon you it is not a "tip".
It is if it's on the menu if the menu states for example "An automatic 18% gratuity will be added to parties of 8 or more." Well, they call it a "gratuity" on the menu, so it is that and if you come in with that size party, well you are AGREEING to the menu. No one is defrauding anyone since it's on the menu.

While I agree a tip is SUPPOSED to be what YOU the customer decide, that's not how it is if you are in a large party, use a coupon that requires automatic gratuity to use it, or to-go orders that have it on the menu that they will charge you a service charge.

A tip SHOULD be ONLY what a CUSTOMER decides I fully agree with that, but that's NOT how it really is always. You get lucky if you don't fall into the categories that are on the menu listed. That's why I like when I am not in a big group dining in. Usually the servers don't give a care, because they know they will be getting their tip no matter how poorly they do. There's no incentive. I really hate restaurants that have automatic gratuity for large parties. I can't stand that and very glad I am not in a large party most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies