Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

I am getting tired of coming here, mostly because so many people, both left and right, just simply hurling insults and tantrum at each other. How old are we, really?

I voted for Trump, and I think lots of his comments are Moderator cut: profanity at best. The two things can be true at the same time. When he has good policies, I support him; when he has bad ones, I criticize him. I did the same with Obama.

Yet, I have seen so many people, when faced with mountain of hard evidence, still refuse to accept the truth.

Why can't we just be honest and focus on the issues? Good and bad, why can't we lay out the facts and debate the best course of actions?

Do we not want America to be a better place?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-12-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
It’s true .. people love the name calling here on CD.

People don’t know how to have civil conversations any more. Both sides love to make blanket statements about each other and the conversations go no where.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Republicans calling liberals whiners. Liberals calling republicans greedy. Men calling women names. Women calling men names. the term snowflake gets thrown around a lot.

I would love to have an open discourse with people and hear both sides in an adult manner, but unfortunately that will never happen on this forum.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
I'll venture an answer. As a former Democrat (California raised) who lived in the DC region for 6 years before escaping to Maine (registered as "un-enrolled--no party choice" ), many people on both sides want their views or beliefs to be validated by the people around them. I would say that in my personal experience, a liberal voter tends to vote more emotionally than rationally. They vote mostly about the immediate/near term and how they feel, but not about long-term consequences--Affordable Care Act, for example. The liberal team exerts considerable peer pressure on each other to the point that there's actually a competitiveness to how liberal you are relative to the other liberals. I don't get that kind of feeling with conservatives, libertarians or independents. Even most of the fundamentalist Christians are not as harsh as the liberals on others who don't share the same viewpoints.

With the liberal team, if a person does not share the same views as the rest on ALL issues, then it seems they disregard the person's entire perspective. That makes it harder to have honest and practical discussions with liberals. Add to that the extreme bias/gaslighting in the majority of the media groups, and it's been a very strange time for the U.S.

As a registered voter un-enrolled with any party, I endorse my own answer.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Some don't get it.

This forum is world wide.

Even Russians can post here. Get it?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,835,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am getting tired of coming here, mostly because so many people, both left and right, just simply hurling insults and tantrum at each other. How old are we, really?

I voted for Trump, and I think lots of his comments are Moderator cut: profanityat best. The two things can be true at the same time. When he has good policies, I support him; when he has bad ones, I criticize him. I did the same with Obama.

Yet, I have seen so many people, when faced with mountain of hard evidence, still refuse to accept the truth.

Why can't we just be honest and focus on the issues? Good and bad, why can't we lay out the facts and debate the best course of actions?

Do we not want America to be a better place?
Too many people on both sides feel that their side is infallible.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-12-2018 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-11-2018, 01:35 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Both parties have their own "basketful of deplorables".

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
I get the feeling that there are a lot of folks that simply aren't capable.

The whole "she lost, get over it" crowd, the "Not my pwesident" B.S., the "If it makes libruls upset, then I love it" folks are simply children. They don't seem to have any interest in having a real, fran and honest discussion about anything that is remotely negative against Trump. They seem far more interested in conspiracy theories. The same can be said for those on the far left.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP, I'd say that in general they are honest conversations. Their posts show an honest extension of the personality and thinking of that person.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:49 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
What exactly is an honest discussion? There are people here who IMO are not only wrong, they're idiots. And I accept they feel the exact same way about me. This is the politics and opinions forum, and two people can look at the exact same thing yet have totally different opinions about it. Throw in political passions and things get amped up around here. That doesn't make it not honest or dishonest...that makes it feisty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies