Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
They are effectively the same because the deficit is financed by debt.

It's like saying there is a big difference between my checking acct and my savings acct. Both are money I have (or owe, in the case of debt and deficit)...

The Facts are clear, tho. Paul voted FOR the Trump tax cuts. THAT VOTE INCREASES BOTH THE DEFICIT AND THE DEBT. Where else would the money come from??

A Tax Cut means less money flowing into the treasury. Less money flowing into the treasury means a larger deficit (in general - and definitely now) and therefore additions to the National debt. Some will argue "but spending cuts matter"....well, not in this case because Trump and the GOP are set to spend more than ever. Now they say they will start paying down the debt "in a few decades". This is what Rand Paul voted for.

Now - we should know the difference in that one is specified in terms of a years time (in general, again) and the other just keeps getting bigger.

In any case, one could say that Rand Paul is only 80% as bad as Trump on these matters. But he is certainly no fiscal conservative or he would have (like many others did) voted against it.

If his actions backed up his rhetoric it would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have trouble taking a poster that doesn't know the difference between the debt and the deficit seriously. I do like Paul. Trump should not be compromising with congress and agreeing to increase spending just to get congress to do their job and keep the government functioning.
See first quote. Read and comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
See first quote. Read and comprehend.
I read and comprehend the numbers. Virtually the entire GOP is for increased debt and deficit. Many are for even removing the cap on the debt. Period. Exclamation Point.

Words are meaningless. We, as a country, are going further into debt. This debt is caused by spending more than we have coming in. Again, Period.

Obviously the yearly deficit and the national debt are two separate things. So is the $20 invoice I am holding in one hand and the $20 invoice I am holding in the other. But the bottom line is I have to pay both. One may be payment in full for some candy. The other may be interest on a long term loan.

Anyway, I'm glad we agree that the Republican Party supports more debt and larger deficits. Playing games with words may be fun, but numbers are the key. Larger numbers in this case.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:58 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you do realize that the income tax on corporations isnt really paid by the corporations but rather the people that buy things from them right? that means YOU pay lower taxes in the long run.
I work for a huge bank. Do you think banks are lowering their fees due to this? They're not. My C level executives are pretty happy, though.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
I read and comprehend the numbers. Virtually the entire GOP is for increased debt and deficit. Many are for even removing the cap on the debt. Period. Exclamation Point.

Words are meaningless. We, as a country, are going further into debt. This debt is caused by spending more than we have coming in. Again, Period.

Obviously the yearly deficit and the national debt are two separate things. So is the $20 invoice I am holding in one hand and the $20 invoice I am holding in the other. But the bottom line is I have to pay both. One may be payment in full for some candy. The other may be interest on a long term loan.

Anyway, I'm glad we agree that the Republican Party supports more debt and larger deficits. Playing games with words may be fun, but numbers are the key. Larger numbers in this case.
That wasn't directed at you. Sorry if you thought it was.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I was willing to listen to him but his voting for the corporate tax break and then grandstanding at the last minute on the budget showed his true colors.
He didn't grandstand at the last minute, he was against it from the beginning. One reason is no one read it since it was 700 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
If he'd voted against the corporate tax cut then he would have been justified in going off on his party.
No he wouldn't off. He would have been a sell out. Lower spending, lower taxes, get the Federal out and states in.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-11-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
They are effectively the same because the deficit is financed by debt.

It's like saying there is a big difference between my checking acct and my savings acct. Both are money I have (or owe, in the case of debt and deficit)...
No they are not effectively the same. They are 2 seperate items.

Quote:
The Facts are clear, tho. Paul voted FOR the Trump tax cuts. THAT VOTE INCREASES BOTH THE DEFICIT AND THE DEBT. Where else would the money come from??
his vote does not INCREASE BOTH THE DEFICIT AND THE DEBT. INCREASED SPENDING DOES.

Quote:
A Tax Cut means less money flowing into the treasury.
Agreed. So lower spending and live within your means.

Quote:
Less money flowing into the treasury means a larger deficit (in general - and definitely now) and therefore additions to the National debt.
No it doesn't make for a larger deficit, spending does.

Quote:
Some will argue "but spending cuts matter"....well, not in this case because Trump and the GOP are set to spend more than ever.
So it's about spending. Glad you finally caught on.

Quote:
Now they say they will start paying down the debt "in a few decades". This is what Rand Paul voted for.
No he voted to cut taxs and lower spending to cut the defifcit and lower the debt.

Quote:
Now - we should know the difference in that one is specified in terms of a years time (in general, again) and the other just keeps getting bigger.
The other keeps getting bigger because the big government losers vote for it. Rand Paul votes the opposite.

Quote:
In any case, one could say that Rand Paul is only 80% as bad as Trump on these matters. But he is certainly no fiscal conservative or he would have (like many others did) voted against it.
This is incorrect. A fiscal conservative spends less and wants lower taxes. Only failures want to to increase spending and taxes. That is a known failure.

Quote:
If his actions backed up his rhetoric it would be nice.
His actions did. It's just that your unwillingness to look for the truth is what blinds you. Your posts on economics aren't very good. I can't remember when you've been right.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
What are you saying??

That I can save $20 on an iphone but my kids and grandchildren will have to pay back 25 Trillion and that health care will be ripped from many and medical bankruptcies increase?
Because of the out of control spending the big government supporters want.

Quote:
No Thanks. I'm a actual fiscal conservative.
No you're not. Not when you want to increase spending.

Quote:
I'll pay $20 more for the phone. You can't buy my patriotism and the future generations from me by giving me free money.
Yet you have no problem with government stealing other peoples money for your causes that ultimately fail. My how noble of you.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:

hahahaha You ought to know.

Lower the out of control spending, lower taxes, and therefore reduce the size of the Federal government while getting the states their power back.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Yep, both parties are terribly hypocritical. Glad the deficit is finally getting attention in the media instead of what Trump's hair looks like

Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Yep, both parties are terribly hypocritical. Glad the deficit is finally getting attention in the media instead of what Trump's hair looks like
the debt and deficit have both gotten plenty of attention from the media over the years, but not as a whole unfortunately. when republicans are in power in the white house, the left complains about the deficits, when the democrats are in power in the white house, the right complains. each side also trades places when they talk about the deficit and debt and whether it matters or not.

we need to get fiscal conservatives from both parties in congress to actually pass a proper budget, that actually cuts spending instead of cutting the rate on increase and calling it a spending cut. each side talks about the lies of the other side, but both are lying when they claim a spending cut of any kind at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies