Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 PM

272 posts, read 218,196 times

Advertisements

https://politicritic.com/2018/02/07/...iscrimination/

Quote:
A new study shows that female Uber drivers make roughly 7% less per hour than their male counterparts. The data shows female Uber drivers earn on average $1.24 less per hour than men, up to $130 per week.

The collaborative study by Stanford University, University of Chicago, and Uber, analyzed data from over 1.8 million Uber drivers. Female drivers represented 27% of the studied population.

So what explains the Uber driver gender pay gap? Sexism? Discrimination? Neither, say the study’s authors. In a blog post statement posted by Uber, “no evidence that outright discrimination, either by the app or by riders, is driving the gender earnings gap.”

Instead, the earnings discrepancy is attributed to differences in gender preferences. Female Uber drivers, for example, tend to drive fewer hours and also drive slower. Male drivers were also more likely to accept the extremes of shorter and longer trips, and were more likely to drive in higher paying locations.
Really great article. I know the feminists that are on a mission to be eternal victims will disagree and use some mental gymnastics to say this is wrong, but the smart, educated and intelligent women will agree with what we already know.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
But what if those female drivers "feel" like they do the exact same job and get paid less?

This is how social science - or all science - should work. You look at many variables and come to a conclusion based on your findings. You don't start with your mind made up and try to find evidence to reinforce your beliefs.

That's the issue with most feminists today. They already "know" its discrimination, so they throw out anything that conflicts with their view and accept anything that agrees with it.

Last edited by T0103E; 02-12-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
Funny. No mention of this study on CNN or Hillary's Twitter feed. I wonder why.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
If they wore crop tops, do they get more tips?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
I suppose it's an indisputable fact that male drivers (as an aggregate) drive faster than their female counterparts. The study finds that and I have no reason to doubt that. However, one factor that might play into why men earn more is because they feel more at liberty to operate during peak or surging hours, such as 10pm-4am. A lot of female drivers would probably feel less safe driving a stranger to strange places during those hours and so that might explain part of the disparity. Another factor is perhaps women driver feel more compelled to other responsibilities (families) or perhaps they have to use the bathroom more frequently, thus reducing their operating capacity. These are just projections, I don't have the study in front of me but one thing I learned in school is that there are plausible reasons to explain results.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
I would also assume that men would be more willing to drive through and into shady neighborhoods for a fare.

No science to back that up. Just my "feelings".

Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
But what if those female drivers "feel" like they do the exact same job and get paid less?

This is how social science - or all science - should work. You look at many variables and come to a conclusion based on your findings. You don't start with your mind made up and try to find evidence to reinforce your beliefs.

That's the issue with most feminists today. They already "know" its discrimination, so they throw out anything that conflicts with their view and accept anything that agrees with it.
Then they have to give at least half their excess earnings to womyn drivers .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies